Broadband is fast...but slow?!

Runner
Post 1 of 33

Broadband is fast...but slow?!

Hi All,

we we have recently upgraded to sky Q. The broadband we had with sky previously when we had our Sky+ HD boxes was fantastic. (This was one of the only reasons we upgraded). Since having Q installed, the speed has been slow. Well I say it has been slow, if you run a speed test it shows 35mbps which is fine. But any website takes a good 10-15 seconds to loads and things like Facebook and Twitter are the same. Something isn’t right somewhere and it’s very frustrating knowing we can have a good internet connection in this house because we did before we upgraded! Any help would be appreciated Smiley Happy 

All Replies
First Assistant Director
Post 2 of 33

Re: Broadband is fast...but slow?!

Hi @daveBakes could you carry ou the following tests so that we can figure out if the issue is to do with your router/wifi/devices or you actual line

- Post your router stats, the sticky at the top of the forum will explain how to do this if you are not familiar

- Run a speedtest with a device connected directly to the router with a cable

- Try to load bbc.co.uk on that device you just run a speedtest on and tell us how long the webpage took to load

- Confirm whether you have sky shield on or not?

Thanks

Boom Operator
Post 3 of 33

Or if you can just switch to Virgin Broadband😂

I’ve finally got fed up with all the excuses for slow and heavily lagging slow speed  6-25mb on my devices on Sky Fibre Unlimited Plus and am cancelling the Broadband from my package and moving to the 350mb package Virgin Fibre Broadband at the end of the month🎉🎉

First Assistant Director
Post 4 of 33

@LCFCfan Virgin use totally different tech to deliver their broadband so performance is usually better however it tends to be more more expensive and isn't avaliable in wide parts of the UK 

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 33

@jamesn123 wrote:

@LCFCfan Virgin use totally different tech to deliver their broadband so performance is usually better however it tends to be more more expensive and isn't avaliable in wide parts of the UK 

I do know about it as I’m having Vivid 350mb installed in 3 weeks 😂😂

15-20 times FASTER than Sky deliver to my devices for only £15pm more, an absolute bargain😂

thats why I said move IF YOU CAN

First Assistant Director
Post 6 of 33

@LCFCfan as I said their coverage is limited in most places so if you have the option for it then there's no doubt its a good option but most people can't get it 

Director of Photography
Post 7 of 33

@jamesn123 wrote:

@LCFCfan as I said their coverage is limited in most places so if you have the option for it then there's no doubt its a good option but most people can't get it 

I cannot get Virgin. If I could, I'd be using Virgin Internet. It is so much more reliable and faster.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 8 of 33

@JonW42 wrote:

@jamesn123 wrote:

I cannot get Virgin. If I could, I'd be using Virgin Internet. It is so much more reliable and faster.

Many Virgin customers would say you are wrong. Read their forums, just as many complaints about speed and reliability as here and a lot depends on the local infrastucture and demand. I know of a number of ex Virgin customers who wouldnt go back. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 9 of 33

@Chrisee wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@jamesn123 wrote:

Many Virgin customers would say you are wrong. Read their forums, just as many complaints about speed and reliability as here and a lot depends on the local infrastucture and demand. I know of a number of ex Virgin customers who wouldnt go back. 

Well for someone like me in a new Virgin street which has their newest tech Fibre and where the ‘case’ is less than 100 feet away from my house and starting from the  Vivid 350 362mb speed package I’m taking, it will (even with some drop off to devices) be light years ahead of the derisory 6-25mb device speed that I get from Sky Fibre Unlimited Plus😂.

Can’t wait for July 28th when the box installed on my wall yesterday will be installed to be LIVE.

it really is a complete no-brainer for someone fortunate enough to have such access that my location has 😂😂

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 33

@Chrisee wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@jamesn123 wrote:

Before we moved, we had Virgin and it was very stable and reliable. Now I have Sky and it's not nearly as fast. I can easily tell the difference. I don't see why Sky cannot go the cable route to give us better Internet speed.

Boom Operator
Post 11 of 33

Simple really , because they are hardly going to get Virgin their biggest TV package and multi device competitor to give them access to their network and take away their one USP

@JonW42 wrote:

@Chrisee wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

@jamesn123 wrote:

Before we moved, we had Virgin and it was very stable and reliable. Now I have Sky and it's not nearly as fast. I can easily tell the difference. I don't see why Sky cannot go the cable route to give us better Internet speed.

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 33

Why does Virgin have to give Sky access to their cable line(s)? Sky could set up their own cable (or fibre) to places that Virgin doesn't have service. The UK (overall) is backwards in terms of broadband. Most places in the US have cable or fibre or both and it's faster then the what we get mostly in the UK for DSL. Though one thing I do have to say is that DSL in the UK is more stable than DSL in the US. But the US has better broadband because it doesn't use DSL as much.

Oracle
Post 13 of 33

Kinda think it would be prohibitively expensive for Sky to set up their own cable/Fibre infrastructure from scratch!

Director of Photography
Post 14 of 33

@Mark39 wrote:

Kinda think it would be prohibitively expensive for Sky to set up their own cable/Fibre infrastructure from scratch!

How do all the others who have such do it? Thing is, the better Internet we have the happier customers are with the service. I'd pay more for faster/more reliable Internet.

Oracle
Post 15 of 33

@JonW42 wrote:

How do all the others who have such do it? .

Who are you referring to?

Recommended Threads
Pool720 19-10-2018 12:03 AM
09-11-2018 07:38 AM
2 weeks ago 11:51 AM
3 weeks ago 02:10 PM
10-08-2018 09:02 PM