Discussion topic: Broadband extremely slow

This message was authored by Hendo73 This message was authored by: Hendo73

Broadband extremely slow

Good evening

According to the statistics on my router (117h06m since last reboot) my downstream connection is 29267Kbps while my downstream connection is 9998Kbps.  However everything seems to be running really slowly, particularly on my desktop PC which is connected directly into one of the Ethernet ports on the router.

When I visited SpeedTest.net, and tested my connection against BrawBand in Inverness, it reported that my download speed was 2.38Mbps while my upload speed was 0.64Mbps.  Running exactly the same scan on my mobile (disconnected from the house wifi) returned a result of 9.65Mpbs down and 4.01Mbps up.

When I rang the customer service helpline earlier, their automated system suggested that there may be some problem with my home setup, but didn't elaborate.  Does all of this suggest that the fault lies with my router?  For info, the downstream attenuation on my line is D1(17.9 dB) , D2(26.2 dB) , D3(39.2 dB) with a noise margin of 6.2dB, while the upstream attenuation is U0(21.3 dB) , U1(22.6 dB) , U2(30.6 dB) with a noise margin of 11.1dB.

I've tried rebooting the router, which solves the problem temporarily but within a couple of days the connection seems to be really slow again.

Any help will be massively appreciated.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Broadband extremely slow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hendo73 the issue sounds to be issues with your home's wifi not the line which isnt outstanding but looks okish. Wifi issues are incredible common and if it improves after a reboot but then gets worse sounds like interference. There are only a limited number of Wifi channels and two signals on the same or adajacent channels will interfere. In many homes you can hace 8 or 9 neighbour's networks within range given the 2.4GHz band has only got room for 3 or at most 4 signals without interference you can see why you may have an issue.

There are things you can do the first is simply give your hub the best chance by placing it as high in the room as you can get it as furniture and radiators block the signal.  Next if you have a laptop or an Android phonecdownload an app called Wifi Analyzer which will show you exactly thecsignal strength and channel of all wifi networks in your area. The best channel near the hub may not be the same one nesrcwhere you need the signal so you may have to manually set the channel your hub uses see Change your Sky WiFi channel

Many people myself included have had to buy third party kit to get decent wifi coverage to stream video etc if you decidecto gomdown that route post again as its easy to buy the wrong kit as homes are different.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband extremely slow

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hendo73 

Your downstream is too low for your lines attenuation & compared to your upstream which is at the 10mbps cap for the package. This suggests a fault which may be the cause of your slow throughput

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion