Discussion topic: BT Openreach changing from copper to fibre

This message was authored by Mrs+H1111 This message was authored by: Mrs+H1111

BT Openreach changing from copper to fibre

I currently have a Sky broadband essential plus contract.  I have been told that BT Openreach will be changing from copper wiring to fibre up to my house later this month.  Will this cause any problems using my phone, Internet, etc. as I don't have Sky fibre? Would I have to switch to a Sky fibre package?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

Re: BT Openreach changing from copper to fibre

@Mrs+H1111  Hopefully to put you at ease.

You should not loose your broadband or phone service,

But as you know, the old tech of a copper line is being slowly withdrawn, with a complete switch off of the old pstn (home phone) by the end of 2025.

The new fibre line will carry broadband to your router 👍 

& the home phone will then basically plug in to the back of the router 👍 giving you a digital phone service (voip)

so no loss of service. (apart from maby a short period of downtime as the service is physically switched over)

The actual date / switch off & decommissioning of your local telephone exchange will result with you having the option to switch to fibre!  or fibre being the only option!

Either way I would expect openreach or sky to be in touch in due course with a full list of options & any relevant dates to make the transition as painless as possible😃

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mrs+H1111If you want to stay as you are in your current contract there is nothing stopping you keeping your copper line. But if at anytime that you choose to upgrade then it is possible that you will end up on fibre.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Mrs+H1111
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for your quick response. What I need to know is will my broadband still work if the wiring is changed to fibre? Openreach seems to be rolling this out nationally as an improvement, so I know it makes sense to agree, but I'm worried that I'll have no Internet or phone once it's installed.  Unfortunately, my understanding of these processes is very limited!

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

@Mrs+H1111  Hopefully to put you at ease.

You should not loose your broadband or phone service,

But as you know, the old tech of a copper line is being slowly withdrawn, with a complete switch off of the old pstn (home phone) by the end of 2025.

The new fibre line will carry broadband to your router 👍 

& the home phone will then basically plug in to the back of the router 👍 giving you a digital phone service (voip)

so no loss of service. (apart from maby a short period of downtime as the service is physically switched over)

The actual date / switch off & decommissioning of your local telephone exchange will result with you having the option to switch to fibre!  or fibre being the only option!

Either way I would expect openreach or sky to be in touch in due course with a full list of options & any relevant dates to make the transition as painless as possible😃

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Mrs+H1111
Topic Author

@TomThumb5ive Many thanks for your clear explanation. 

This message was authored by Jacq4 This message was authored by: Jacq4

Hi, can anybody help. I am elderly and know very little on how all this works. I had to renew my broadband and was told that I need to change to fibre. I have spent alot of money on my bungalow to make maintenance cheaper only to be told by City fibre that they could'nt install the over head fibre into my property as I wanted it, he told me I would have wires banged in to my expensive newly installed concrete cladding and I was very unhappy about that. He went away saying he would tell my provider I don't want it. It has left me very worried because he also said if I didn't have it done I would be left with no internet or phone as it was all being switched off so I have to have fibre. It has left me very upset as I need broadband and my phone as my husband has throat cancer and I need to stay intouch with the hospital and cancer nurses. If I don't have fibre is he right that I won't be able to have broadband or use my mobile. I only thought the phone was being switched off

This message was authored by Kelsingra This message was authored by: Kelsingra

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @Jacq4 

Thank you for registering to the Sky Community Forum!

I am afraid we won't be able to help you with this case, as you mentioned City Fibre is your broadband provider and not Sky. I would suggest to get in touch with City Fibre and I am sure they will be able to help you with this problem 🙂

Here is a link to their website: https://cityfibre.com/ 

Fanni

Community ModeratorTeam Black

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jacq4 wrote:

they could'nt install the over head fibre into my property as I wanted it, he told me I would have wires banged in to my expensive newly installed concrete cladding 

Fibre optic cable enters through one small hole.  Note that ultimately this will be required for all properties when network suppliers start to withdraw support for copper cabling entirely, although migration to optical connection is not necessary for PSTN switch-off.

Sky uses the national Openreach network and cannot comment on what CityFibre chooses to do.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion