Discussion topic: Are you allowed to use your own router instead of the sky hub ?

This message was authored by BlackSwan83 This message was authored by: BlackSwan83

Are you allowed to use your own router instead of the sky hub ?

Are you allowed to use your own router. 

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Are you allowed to use your own router instead of the sky hub ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BlackSwan83 Yes you can, make sure to do your research and get one that can be used with Sky as I believe on some lines they use Option 61 instead of Pppoe.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BlackSwan83 to expand on @daveNOS 's post. Sky permit you to use third party routers but wontprovide support this means if youbwant tobreport a fault you have to connectvthe Sky hub as the diagnostics Sky use have to talk to the hub. You also want be able to use the voice service that Sky provide through the hub to replace standard phone sockets.

Sky do not use PPOE in the UK (Ireland is different) rather they use DHCPv4 Option 61 which most but no means all routers support. There is an alternative authentication method DHCPv6 PD but while that works on most lines it depends on the equipment in the exchange which means some dont. 

If you are thinking about using a third party router searching the forum can often give you information on how to set it up. Asus models are popular but certain brands like TP-Link only work on certain services. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
BlackSwan83
Topic Author
This message was authored by BlackSwan83 This message was authored by: BlackSwan83

Thank you all for your quick and detailed response. 

I previously used a ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 combined with a Netgear modem for my ADSL line but now i have fiber and an ONT at the property it just isnt connecting.

Could i please ask if the above modem is compatible with sky fiber and also do i need username and password to handshake on skys end? Do i need to copy any other info from the sky hub to make it work?

Thank you in advance 

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@BlackSwan83 

Full fibre doesn't need a modem as the ONT takes its place, so you should be able to connect the Asus router you have to the ONT directly and set the DHCP Option 61 parameter to 'anything@skydsl|anything' without the single quotes in Asus router under the WAN settings.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
BlackSwan83
Topic Author

Thanks for the info

so anything@skydsl|anything

Is that correct or do i need to seperate after @skydsl then |anything

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@BlackSwan83 

That are no spaces in the DHCP Option 61 parameter 'anything@skydsl|anything'.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion