Apalling download speed

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
New Viewer
Post 1 of 3

Apalling download speed

Hi,

My download speed is unbelieveably slowwww. Im paying for a max of 17mb and at max i am getting 1.6 ... very very far off. This is on a wired connection. I have completed a speed checker and came out at 13mb which is a joke as i have to wait for videos to buffer also I am looking at at a diwnload now at 11pm at night and is at 1.6mb with no one else using the internet 🤔 Hopefully someone at sky can stop throttling my speed please? 

Thanks,

zzz
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 3

Re: Apalling download speed

Hi @Hannahswift

It sounds like you may be getting confused between the two types of transfer speeds that are used. ISPs quote download speeds in Megabits so your download speed on a speed checker would show as 13Megabits. However download sites/browsers usually show the download speed in Megabytes. For refernce, 1 Megabit = 0.125 Megabytes.

So if we do the maths, 13 Megabits is what you are getting on a speed test so if we multiply this by 0.125 Megabytes (which is the speed your downloads from websites/services show as) 13 x 0.125 = 1.625 Megabytes per second which is almost exactly the speed you quoted so it sounds like your broadband is performing perfectly. 

All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 3

Hi @Hannahswift

It sounds like you may be getting confused between the two types of transfer speeds that are used. ISPs quote download speeds in Megabits so your download speed on a speed checker would show as 13Megabits. However download sites/browsers usually show the download speed in Megabytes. For refernce, 1 Megabit = 0.125 Megabytes.

So if we do the maths, 13 Megabits is what you are getting on a speed test so if we multiply this by 0.125 Megabytes (which is the speed your downloads from websites/services show as) 13 x 0.125 = 1.625 Megabytes per second which is almost exactly the speed you quoted so it sounds like your broadband is performing perfectly. 

Oracle
Post 3 of 3

Also if you are ever interested in calculating it yourself you can use this website https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs

Simply put the speed you see on a site such as speedtest.net and it'll show you exactly what download speed you'd expect from websites/services

Recommended Threads