Discussion topic: Adding AX5400 as Wifi router to SR204

This message was authored by orangebloss This message was authored by: orangebloss

Adding AX5400 as Wifi router to SR204

Hi 

Having wifi issues in the house and have been advised to try a different router to broadcast due to the number of devices we have attached. 

I have an AX5400 on its way and just wanted to double check I've understood what needs to be done!

Ultrafast broadband (fttc)

1. turn off wifi on SR204

2. plug router into 1st ethernet port

3. set up router

4. go online.....

Can I also assume that I can use the ethernet ports on either the SR204 or the new router to attach things to the network?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Adding AX5400 as Wifi router to SR204

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@orangebloss 

Yesh pretty much thats it.

Only thing you need to decide is whether you are going to use the AX5400 in router mode or access point mode. If you use it in router mode you'll be subject to double NAT which could cause issues for applications like gaming. If you use it in access point mode you'll likely lose a good chunk of its features.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@orangebloss 

Yesh pretty much thats it.

Only thing you need to decide is whether you are going to use the AX5400 in router mode or access point mode. If you use it in router mode you'll be subject to double NAT which could cause issues for applications like gaming. If you use it in access point mode you'll likely lose a good chunk of its features.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
orangebloss
Topic Author
This message was authored by orangebloss This message was authored by: orangebloss

OK i'm at my limit here 🤣🤣🤣what's NAT and what does the access point do?

Kids game a lot (fortnite, gta etc, minecraft) so I'm guessing access point would be the right one?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@orangebloss 

Yeah I'd just go with AP mode.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion