Discussion topic: ARCHER VR600 - not connecting

This message was authored by Mubnit This message was authored by: Mubnit

ARCHER VR600 - not connecting

Hi all, 

I have looked around the forum for a possible answer to my problem, and I I'm not 100% but im pretty sure you will tell me this router is likely not to be a great option to replace my Sky Fibre Broadband modem.

As the title says, I purchased a cheap refurbish TP-Link Archer VR600 (without doing any research)
I've plugged it in and during the setup I was surprised to find the things it was asking me for.

so there are 3 different Sky ISP's it is asking me to choose from, SKY(MER)_VDSL, SKY_VDSL and Sky Broadband(BSkyB)ADSL. Which do I pick? I'm in England with Sky Broadband Superfast.

I have picked all three to test, and (MER) & (BSkyB) both then ask for a Username and password, with (BSkyB) asking to confirm a password, as if itsd a sign up page. 

(MER) gives me a connection type of "Dynamic IP" unable to change to anything.

_VDSL gives me a connection type of "Dynamic IP" unable to change to anything.

(BSkyB) gives me a connection type of PPPoA unable to change.

They then give me options to change wireless name and password, and after it trys to finish setup but fails.

So I guess firstly, is this modem compatible? 

Is my setup correct regarding the phone cable? I have a Sky "master microfilter" plugged into the phone socket on the wall and then the modem cable from that micro filter into the Archer. I then go from the Archer into a powerline plug (something I have never had a problem with)

Where do I get the info for username and password from? Ive tried my Sky accoutn details but that doesnt work nor do I think it should.

thanks for any help.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: ARCHER VR600 - not connecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mubnit 

SKY(MER)_VDSL

With the username anything@skydsl

Password anything

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Mubnit 

SKY(MER)_VDSL

With the username anything@skydsl

Password anything

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Mubnit 

Also if asked :-

Vlan id is 101

MTU is 1500

Mubnit
Topic Author

Thanks for the above.

ive just got home from work and gone to try again. The (MER) is now not asking me for a username or password using the mobile app, and I can't seem now to get my Pc to see the modem to try and set it up that way. 

Also, out of interest where am I meant to find the information you supplied above? The guy from sky said it should be in the UI of the sky router but I spent an hour searching and found none of the info you supplied me there.

Mubnit
Topic Author

Disregard the above. It is now asking me for the username and password, and I got my PC to access it.

still no luck though. It just keeps telling me to check the cables are correct. 

I am using the Sky "Master Microfilter" as I don't have a "phone cable" to go from the socket to the supplier VDSL splitter. So I have an RJ11 cable? Going from the microfilter straight to the modem, is this correct? I've tried adding the supplied splitter in between the two but that also had no luck.

the final settings window shows that IP, subnet, Gateway, DNS is all 0.0.0.0.0

Mubnit
Topic Author

FBC2DE1A-54DF-4572-813F-5A562FE463A1.jpeg

E88AF0DC-26FF-4657-98F7-E0C450491013.jpeg

ECEC38E9-CE4C-4052-81E7-70C650806D38.jpeg

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Mubnit 

Last image rejected as in contained SSID. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Mubnit 

Might be worth performing a full reset on the TP-Link device then start again. You can't use the Tether App to set up, you must do this on a device connected by an ethernet cable.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Mubnit
Topic Author

Thanks all, I don't m kw how or why but after a few attempts this morning I managed to get it working.

i thibk shouting at it helped...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion