50mb connection only getting 23-27 on wifi

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Researcher
Post 1 of 4

50mb connection only getting 23-27 on wifi

Sorry if this has been asked already; I had a problem with my broadband; engineer been today and i now get 50mbps download and 20mbps upload acccording to the connection screen shot. yet for the life in me i can not get above 23-27 download i mention i do get the fulll 18-19 upload...

disconnected all wired devices connections, i have named the 2.4 and 5ghz wireless different so i can try them both seperately. i have connected an iphone X and macbook air. used netflix's fast.com and ooklas speedtest for testing...

No other wifi devices in the area., no nieghbours etc. all tests done 2-3m from the router.

any ideas welcome. TIA

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 4

Re: 50mb connection only getting 23-27 on wifi

Hi @loobylou76 if you have the Sky Q hub you are probably hitting one of the hub's foibles where it will never allow any single wireless device to have more than around 60% of external bandwidth. This a design "feature" to prevent one device hogging all the connectivity.

On my system with a 80Mb/s sync I get around 50Mb/s at best. In practice it isn't really a problem as no app on a mobile device should have a problem at the speeds you are seeing - Netflix should stream in UHD. Of course two or more devices can access all the bandwidth.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 4

Hi @loobylou76 if you have the Sky Q hub you are probably hitting one of the hub's foibles where it will never allow any single wireless device to have more than around 60% of external bandwidth. This a design "feature" to prevent one device hogging all the connectivity.

On my system with a 80Mb/s sync I get around 50Mb/s at best. In practice it isn't really a problem as no app on a mobile device should have a problem at the speeds you are seeing - Netflix should stream in UHD. Of course two or more devices can access all the bandwidth.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 3 of 4

thanks for the repsonse

i came home and had no internet the next day, rebooted the routers and like magic it has now decided to give me 47-48mbps download and 18 upload which i am more than happy with.

absolutely no reasoning behind it imo.

Thanks

Researcher
Post 4 of 4

had an openreach engineer on site for pretty much most of the day.

To summary...he has got the speed to 58mbps/20mbps best he can do as the line from the exchange is crap aluminiun. he replaced my box in the house and fixed a fault in the exchange were his words. I give him his due he really was at our preimises nearly all day backwards and forwards trying to find the fault.