Discussion topic: 3rd party router replacement

This message was authored by Morbious This message was authored by: Morbious

3rd party router replacement

Hi all

we have just moved over to sky cable on their latest router but i would like to use the one i bought recently ( Netgear DGND3700v2 ) is this compatable as it is an ADSL2 router and what are the settings and passwords to do this ?

Also i was advised that using a 3rd party router would possibly end up with my account being terminated is this correct ?

thankyou

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: 3rd party router replacement

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Morbious 

I know that @mae-3 mentioned that any of the latest Asus routers support VDSL2 and DHCP Option 61.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Morbious 

You can use any router you like to connect to Sky broadband systems. Clearly, an ADSL2+ router will not work with anything other than Sky broadband essentials. So, that router you have will not work with Sky superfast service, eg: fibre to the cabinet (VDSL2).

Support wise, Sky does not offer support when you use your own router, and you will need the Sky Hub when diagnosing faults with Sky broadband connection. But there are posts on using your own router scattered across the forum.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Morbious
Topic Author

hi mae-3

i was not sure as i am 1 mile from the cab atm so the vdsl still comes down the wire to the pole then to the socket ,  but openreach are preparing the poles round here for the cable to the pole and possibly to the house so i was not sure if i can use that router and if i can i would not know the settings and login details so asked here ?

with the additional info can this still be done as the router here atm from sky is the SR203

Thankyou

@Morbious 

If you post your router stats then I can advise what service you are on, but if its superfast broadband connected to a cabinet 1km away then it will be VDSL2 and not compatible with that router specified.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
Morbious
Topic Author

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Morbious 

Those are the Netgear specs rather than the current router stats the @mae-3 mentions. If you follow this link  it gives details how to get the stats 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Morbious
Topic Author

hi

i have followed the steps as per Skull and see below @mae-3 @Skull+Treaty 

Untitled.png

@Morbious 

The ADSL2+ router is not compatible with your current configuration which is FTTC VDSL2.

-------

Morbious
Topic Author

@mae-3 

thankyou , can you reckomend a decent one along with the settings etc ?

@Morbious

Any of the latest TP-Link, Netgear, Billion or Asus routers support VDSL2 and DHCP Option 61 which is needed to authenticate to Sky's systems. If you pick one to your liking and post up which one you have picked I'll confirm its correct.

-------

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Morbious 

I use the TP-Link VR2100 modem/router - without issue. 

Morbious
Topic Author

i would like a netgear personally but would not know the best model to get , i have used tp on previous network until sky and never liked them ( no offence )

@Morbious 

Non taken, you gotta go for what's best for you 🙂

Morbious
Topic Author

i have ordered a ASUS DSL-N16 Wireless-N Router VDSL/ADSL MODEM  will this do for what i need and if ok would you know all settings for this etc @mae-3 @Skull+Treaty  ?

@Morbious 

That is compatible with the Asus Merlin firmware but its an 802.11n wireless ADSL2+/VDSL2 router and I suggest you purchase at least an 802.11ac ADSL2+/VDSL2 wireless router for much better wireless performance than that one. 😉

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion