Video output of Sky Q

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 15

Video output of Sky Q

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the output of Sky Q? I've been Googling for ages and cannot find anything definitive. My HDMI splitter accepts 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 (or 4k60) so trying to find out of its comatible with Sky Q Ultra HD.

Thanks!

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 15

Re: Video output of Sky Q

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the output of Sky Q? I've been Googling for ages and cannot find anything definitive. My HDMI splitter accepts 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 (or 4k60) so trying to find out of its comatible with Sky Q Ultra HD.

Thanks!

Hi @CarlitosWay76 It outputs at 3840 x 2160 50p

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.

imagebam.com
All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 15

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hi @CarlitosWay76 It outputs at 3840 x 2160 50p

imagebam.com
Executive Producer
Post 3 of 15

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

The important bit is HDCP 2.2 Compatible or it will not work with 4K, this also applies to all the cables you are using.

First Assistant Director
Post 4 of 15

Use of HDMI splitters is not officially supported so your buying decision for choosing Sky Q should not be based purely on it working with your splitter setup.

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 15

Thanks for your reply guys... @Dazzasky forgive my ignorance but does that mean it will be compatible with 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 - my feeling is it will be slightly different.

@bob1234my splitter is HDCP 1.4 but apparently an HDFury Linker will downgrade from 2.2 to 1.4 and 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 so just wondering if it will still be Ultra HD.

Thanks

Oracle
Post 6 of 15

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Thanks for your reply guys... @Dazzasky forgive my ignorance but does that mean it will be compatible with 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 - my feeling is it will be slightly different.

@bob1234my splitter is HDCP 1.4 but apparently an HDFury Linker will downgrade from 2.2 to 1.4 and 4K @60Hz 4:2:0 so just wondering if it will still be Ultra HD.

Thanks

Hi @CarlitosWay76 I am not an expert on these things but as far as I am aware if the splitter does not support 4K 50p then it will not work however I could be wrong. 

imagebam.com
Executive Producer
Post 7 of 15

@Dazzasky wrote:

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Thanks

Hi @CarlitosWay76 I am not an expert on these things but as far as I am aware if the splitter does not support 4K 50p then it will not work however I could be wrong. 

Assuming it works I believe it will be HD rather than UHD.

Director of Photography
Post 8 of 15

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Forget buying an HD Fury. You'll need a new splitter that's compatible.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 9 of 15

@JonW42 wrote:

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Forget buying an HD Fury. You'll need a new splitter that's compatible.

Exactly a reasonable HDCP 2.2 compliant splitter is around £50. You will also need high speed HDMI cables as you are shifting around 12Gb/s with Sky Q. You will start to struggle on runs of over 5m and you may need active system using fibre or cat6 baluns. Messing with changing frequency from 50 to 60Hz is likely to introduce motion issues. Of course any Display attached to the splitter must support HDCP2.2 as well if one doesnt you need a HDMI switch.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 10 of 15

Thanks for the advice guys. A new HDCP 2.2 splitter is the preferred option but as I need one that can a signal over 50m it doesn't come cheap - especially when I have to upgrade ethernet receivers too. So the HD Fury is just a quick (cheap) fix for now.

It looks like I will have to put u with an HD picture for the time being.

First Assistant Director
Post 11 of 15

@Dazzasky wrote:

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Thanks

If the splitter supports 4K@60Hz it should work at 50Hz. I have a HDCP 2.2 -> 1.4 converter which supports 4K@60Hz which works fine with Sky Q and gives me UHD through my AVR.

Post 12 of 15

@simon194 wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Thanks

If the splitter supports 4K@60Hz it should work at 50Hz. I have a HDCP 2.2 -> 1.4 converter which supports 4K@60Hz which works fine with Sky Q and gives me UHD through my AVR.

@simon194 Oh! That's pretty much what I'm what I'm trying to achieve. Can I ask which converter you are using? I'm looking at the HD Fury Linker. They say it will convert to 1.4 and 4K@60Hz - I just didnt think it would be in UHD so that's good news!

Oracle
Post 13 of 15

@CarlitosWay76

Your existing kit can handle the UHD bitrate, just not the HDCP encryption, so with that removed, you should be OK. Just note that your main Q box would need to be within a couple of metres of the HDCP stripper and the distribution switch, as UHD data can't travel very far over HDMI.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Boom Operator
Post 14 of 15

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@CarlitosWay76

Your existing kit can handle the UHD bitrate, just not the HDCP encryption, so with that removed, you should be OK. Just note that your main Q box would need to be within a couple of metres of the HDCP stripper and the distribution switch, as UHD data can't travel very far over HDMI.

Thanks for the tip @TimmyBGood its really useful. I will order the HD Fury now.

Thanks!

Boom Operator
Post 15 of 15

@simon194 wrote:

@Dazzasky wrote:

@CarlitosWay76 wrote:

Thanks

Hi @simon194 and @TimmyBGood - my Sky Q has finally been installed and my HD Fury Linker arrived today. I connected everything up and selected UHD mode in the Sky Q settings. I dont get the 'HDCP2.2 require' error anymore which is great but when I attempt to setup the UHD (on 10 bit or 8bit) I get an error code UH031 or UH021 and it reverts back to 1080p.

Any ideas why this is happening guys?

Thanks

Ian