Unable to retrieve emails on Windows Live Mail

Answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 1 of 71

Unable to retrieve emails on Windows Live Mail

Just logged onto my emails using Windows Live Mail and received the following message

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] problem retrieving message.

Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD

Protocol: POP3

Port: 995

Secure(SSL): Yes.

I was able to send an email without problem and when I checked my emails on line, everything is working fine. I have since found that by clearing all the emails out online, I was able to send and receive emails using Windows Live Mail. Something has been changed with the Sky Yahoo system which is now locking out Live Mail from retrieving emails!

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 71

Re: Unable to retrieve emails on Windows Live Mail

Andyrw wrote:  Something has been changed with the Sky Yahoo system which is now locking out Live Mail from retrieving emails!

There have been other topics about this and it seems that by clearing out your spam folder online it fixes this problem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
All Replies
Answer
Oracle
Post 2 of 71

Andyrw wrote:  Something has been changed with the Sky Yahoo system which is now locking out Live Mail from retrieving emails!

There have been other topics about this and it seems that by clearing out your spam folder online it fixes this problem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Researcher
Post 3 of 71

Thanks, this has been bugging me for days. As you said, clear out the Yahoo Spam folder online and Windows Live Mail works without errors again. Cheers.

Staff
Post 4 of 71

Hi gavtherocker, 

Thanks for posting on the Sky Forum and letting us know that the information provided by caesarome has helped fix your issue.

I'm sure this will help others in the same situation.

If you have any questions or queries, please do get back to us.

Cheers, 

Researcher
Post 5 of 71

Jane - This only fixes the problem until the next spam e mail arrives ! Please can you find a permanent fix!

Researcher
Post 6 of 71

Yes, the joy at thinking it was fixed was very short lived. As soon as you get one new email going into the spam folder the error starts again. I could maybe understand if it was a spam folder brimming over with junk mail but for just one email to cause this is absolutely ridiculous.

It says on Yahoo that you have 1TB of space for email. So why should this even be an issue?

It's something that needs addressing urgently as it's really getting frustrating.

Researcher
Post 7 of 71

Yes gav it is getting very frustrating 1 I am now getting the pop up error even when the e mails are coming through- what next - The only saving grace is it has'nt affected the I pad or I phone YET !

Retired Staff Member
Post 8 of 71

Hi K47 and gavtherocker

Thanks for getting back to Jane. I understand how frustrating this issue must be especially if you're waiting on an important email to your Sky Yahoo! Mail account.

I understand that the fix that Jane had suggested seems to only be temporary so this is something that we are now looking into further and will give you an update when we have more information on the matter. In the meantime can I please ask that you use the Sky Yahoo! Mail webmail to manage your emails?

If you have any further issues or questions feel free to get back in touch.

Cheers,

Community Manager
Post 9 of 71

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had an email specific virus checker? or an email specific portion of security software enabled?

I have heard of Avast Mail Shield causing issues. Also others have had success by making sure that they are not logged in to Web Mail at the same time. 

Possibly logging in then out of Sky Yahoo on the web may help as well.

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 10 of 71

Hi Sam

No I do not have an e mail specific virus checker - plus this has only happened in the last 5 days - It is directly due to having spam e mail in the web mail box -

Researcher
Post 11 of 71

Hello Sam, I don't use any virus checker other than Windows Security Essentials. It doesn't scan emails anyway. Plus as the previous reply says, this has only happened since about last Thursday. Nothing new has changed on my end.

I'm not logged into the web mail, that's why I use Windows Live Mail. The only time I ever log into it is to delete the spam email in order to clear the error in Windows Live Mail.

This is a new problem and is something that has happened with either Yahoo or Sky in the last 5 days.

Thanks, Gavin

Researcher
Post 12 of 71

Hi all,

I have to agree with Gav and K47, I have only found the problem since I checked my emails on Sunday. Prior to this the last time I checked my emails was before Thursday, and I have not changed anything at my end. As this seems to be affecting multiple users, it would appear the problem lies at the Sky Yahoo end!

I hope you can get to the bottom of this as quick as possible

cheers

Andy

Researcher
Post 13 of 71

Hi All

I am still getting this problem - plus on windows mail I have a junk folder that is not always the same content as web spam - for the last 2 days I have not had any e mails downloading into that on windows mail - has anyone else noticed this please ?

Community Manager
Post 14 of 71

Hi everyone,

We have verified this fault and are raising this with Yahoo! for further investigation. I will let you know once we have a resolution for you.

For the moment we only have the temporary workaround which is to log in to your emails on sky.com and empty your spam folder.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing

thanks 

Sam
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Runner
Post 15 of 71

Found this thread when a family member was receiving the same issue so thanks for the tip.

Is it possible in the sky web mail to disable spam detection so all emails are delivered into the Inbox. When Windows Live Mail connects to collect emails through POP3 it will download all emails and not be troubled by the spam folder.

It does rely on Windows Live Mail to detect spam and handle them accordingly.