Sky Anytime only has HD content - but I don't have an HD package (no HD TV)

Answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 83

Sky Anytime only has HD content - but I don't have an HD package (no HD TV)

I have the latest Sky+ (HD) box but do not subscribe to the HD channels - my eyesight is poor and I only have a standard TV. One of the features that I love is Anytime. However, recently all of the movies on Sky Anytime are HD movies and I do not have the package/TV or good enough eyesight to appreciate these.

Is anyone else having this problem? I would have thought it would be easy for Sky to only download Anytime content that was based on the package that someone has. Can anyone tell me if you don't subscribe to movies does Anytime still download movies? If not then Sky obviously have the technology to be selective but choose not to for HD - it is a shame as my old Sky+ (non HD) would download non-hd movies that I could watch.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Retired Staff Member
Post 2 of 83

Re: Sky Anytime only has HD content - but I don't have an HD package (no HD TV)

Hi Piffle,

Anytime content downloaded to the box is currently based on the box type you have, this is the reason why you have some HD content sent to your Sky+HD box. We are looking to address this soon and will provide an update when we have more information.

All Replies
Answer
Retired Staff Member
Post 2 of 83

Hi Piffle,

Anytime content downloaded to the box is currently based on the box type you have, this is the reason why you have some HD content sent to your Sky+HD box. We are looking to address this soon and will provide an update when we have more information.

Runner
Post 3 of 83

Hmmmm.... when I first set up the HD box anytime downloaded both HD movies and an equal amount of non-HD movies. Over the last few weeks all movies have been HD. I think therefore a system change has happened based on a decision that everyone with an HD box must be paying for the HD package.

Some HD content would not be a problem if there were also non-HD movies - ALL movies being downloaded are now HD movies. Someone somewhere has made this decision - 'we will only set HD movies to download to HD boxes' and this is a very recent decision.

Runner
Post 4 of 83

I also have HD box but do not subscribe to HD package. Everything on anytime is in HD, what a waste of time should be geared to package you subscribe too. Hope Anytime plus will be better when it arrives.

Mickr

New Viewer
Post 5 of 83

Hi All,

I too have a new SKY+ HD box but only subscribed to standard definition and basic package (no movies , no kids, no discovery, no sports etc..) and have the same problem, which I find very annoying. My Anytime is filled with channels I don't subscribe to and any channels I would get in standard definition like sky1, Anytime downloads sky1 HD content which I can't view. The box knows I can't view HD so why accept it!

Something seriously needs to be done as at the moment 250Gb of the hard drive is being wasted on HD content I can't view or channels I can't view.

Perhaps if Sky offer HD channels at no extra cost (like virgin I believe) then this would solve half the issues!!

I'm not sure how Anytime specifically works, but I believe it's recording/downloading in the background if the box isn't being used for user recording content. So if sky don't have the bandwidth to push HD content and SD content at the same time, I can understand (perhaps) why sky might choose HD because if you're already being charged a premium to watch HD then you'll expect HD content in Anytime... However what percentage of Sky customers are subscribed to HD!!! I'm sure they're annoying the majority!

Hope this is sorted as mentioned in an earlier post.

Regards

Runner
Post 6 of 83

We too have a skyHD box but do not consider an HD subscription worthwhile as we can't detect much difference in the quality of the picture. Couldn't even receive the standard Anytime on this box as it is all in HD. We were mystified then to receive an invitation from Sky to sign up ti Sky Anytime+ only to read in the small print that you can only receive limited  content from the showcase section. What a waste of time. We also have in another room a standard Sky+ plus box where we do access Anytime quite frequently but no mention of a standard definition Anytime+ in the offing! 

Runner
Post 7 of 83

i also have a sky hd+ box, but dont subscribe to the hd package. my anytime is full of either hd channels or channels that i dont subscribe to. there is nothing, i repeat nothing, in the list that i can actually watch. please give me back my disk space.

how about if you dont want anytime, then you can use the whole disk for normal recordings??

Oracle
Post 8 of 83

You can turn the Anytime function off but you would not get that space bzck.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Runner
Post 9 of 83

I have the same problem.   I told them I was ordering a new box as I wanted Anytime.  They said I had to have an HD box.  I did not want the HD package but they don't tell you you won't get any non HD programmes on Anytime!!  I think this is misrepresentation??  How many hours of actual recording space do we have without the HD package? 

Runner
Post 10 of 83

I too have a Sky+ HD Box but I do not have a TV that supports HD. My TV, a 32" CRT (100 HZ) with Dolby 5.1 (via both coaxial and optical inputs) has an excellent picture and, until it fails, I will continue to use it.

I accessed Sky Anytime and, like others here, I found that there was nothing there for the standard definition viewer. I disabled Sky Anytime, as described in the manual, but I do not know whether this increased my disc space or not.

Can I get a discount for the lack of functionality? I  would really like to watch the anytime content but cannot - this is unacceptable and Sky needs to fix it as soon as possible!

New Viewer
Post 11 of 83

I see i am not the only person feeling a little let down on the anytime front hmm.

no TCM on my movies package instead it is placed on the cooking and lifestyle package and i can't watch anytime content unless i pay extra for hd package. Come on sky - these are real issues affecting real customers, surely you can tailor anytime content downloads to the channel package on our cards or at least allow us a selection in the menu to choose HD or SD anytime loaded to our hard drives. whats that - all of a few ours work for the firmware developer.

Runner
Post 12 of 83

This comment hardly qualifies as a 'solution' does it?  Until sky sort this the anytime & anytime+ services are worse than useless to those of us who don't require HD TV.  How long are we going to have to wait for this supposedly free service?

Researcher
Post 13 of 83

I totally agree with all you say, I wrote to Sky tonight to complain just about that - see the note I sent in below:

I went to see what was on Anytime and I was totally disgusted that nearly 95% of the shows were on HD and as I can't afford the extra £10 (I know it may only be £10 but when you struggle to pay the ordinary Sky - £10 is a lot of money).  So really for me (and I am sure many other Sky viewer) Anytime is just a waste of money.  Please explain why to are deserting your Sky viewers and just concentrating on the HD Sky viewers?  I am just so annoyed, as I pay enough for ordinary Sky and now I am being penalised for not paying for the HD.  Please reply to me asap.

I think as Sky viewers we are being unfairly treated and not being given the proper service.  We pay to receive Sky and Anytime just as much as the HD viewers, so why is everything being geared towards HD now.  Not everyone can afford it, or indeed have an HD tv.  So please Sky if you read these forums, have a heart and rethink Anytime HD!!!! You do not seem to want to answer the questions that we have put to you regarding this.

Retired Staff Member
Post 14 of 83

Hi Guys,

I have no further update if we are any further forward with this, but I can advise if you are a Dual Movies subscriber you can currently access and view any HD Movies on Sky Anytime without the HD subscription. This can still be viewed on a standard definition TV albeit not in HD quality.

Also if your box is Sky Anytime+ compatible and you subscribe to Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited, you can also access and download a library of Films, TV Series etc for no extra charge. Sky Anytime+ only has standard definition programming available for download at the moment, with the normal Sky Anytime content available through a new showcase section.

Runner
Post 15 of 83

interesting regarding the hd movies, but it still doesnt answer when we will get anytime content in line with our subscription, rather than some arbitrary assumption that just because we have a hd box, we actually subscribe to the hd pack, or the dual movies.

otherwise please let us have our disk space back!!! or dont charge for the hd pack.

thanks