Red button not working on Sky News

Runner
Post 1 of 30

Red button not working on Sky News

I have a problem with the red button on Sky News that's continued for at least a week. The main menu screen loads, but I can go no further.  Ther's no banner across the top of the screen & I cannot select news, weather, etc. I have tried a power reset, & planner rebuild, but the problem persists. Red button works OK on BBC News interactive, etc. Previous posts on this issue have not provided a solution. Suggestions please..

All Replies
Executive Producer
Post 2 of 30

Re: Red button not working on Sky News

Skys full text service was pulled on the 30th of October.

Camera Assistant
Post 3 of 30

Why would Sky have done such a thing, as I understand it was a popular service especially on sky news. Now I have to use my tablet or iPad to access news feeds.

Not a very good move to be honest, it was the only feature that gave the satellite version of sky news the edge over the freeview service.
Retired Staff Member
Post 4 of 30

Hey rob4782 & Lee+Bromley,

Thanks for posting about the Sky Text service. I'm sorry to see your not happy about the removal of Sky Text from our platform. The reason we removed this is because it was not being used as much as we'd have liked it to be used across our whole customer base. We did not take this decision lightly as we know this would cause inconvenience to the customers who do use the service but the decision we made is final.

Here are some of the key point's that you may find useful - 

• For the latest from Sky Sports:
  •  
  • Watch Sky Sports News (channel 405)
  • Visit skysports.com
  • Via the Sky Sports for iPad
  • Via the Sky Sports iPhone and Android smartphone apps
  • You can still access the Sky Sports interactive application via the red button on Sky Sports channels during live sporting events.
  • On Sky News it will take you to the Sky News Active service which will give you News in Video.To keep up to date with all the latest stories from Sky News go to:

• Skynews.com

• Via the Sky News iPhone and Android smartphone apps

• Via Sky News for iPad

• The red button News in Video service

• Sky Channel 501

• Freeview Channel 82

If you need anything else just give me a shout.

Regards,

Shaun-K
Community Coordinator
Camera Assistant
Post 5 of 30

Just because it was deemed the vast majority of the subscriber base didn't use the service doesn't justify its removal for the users who do use the service. Just seems like a step backwards for a news service which is often rated as cutting edge.

To be honest, the text service on Sky news is one of the reasons why I didn't move my subscription to Virgin Media, but now its gone, its one less reason to remain with Sky. 

Not a good move in my opinion, and i'm sure you'll find alot more people were using the service than what was realised. As this isn't the only thread on the forums where folks have noticed the red button service has been dramatically reduced.

Runner
Post 6 of 30

Thanks for posting the question. I thought there was something wrong with my sky box I have always used on sky sports channels!. I am dismayed as well that service has been withdrawn as was regular user. Was this withdrawal advertsied any where?

Oracle
Post 7 of 30

Sky report that a banner advising closure of the service was on the Text pages for a couple of weeks before the service ended.

Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 30

In all honesty I used the service 2-3 times daily and I never notice a banner on the service advising the closure of the text service.

Not sure if I believe that at all I would have noticed it so many others who use the service, Sky really didn't do a good job in advertising or make the closure more prominent to users.

Like I said the service will be missed and the inconvenience caused will be huge as yet again we have to use another device other than our TV to get the news.

Retired Staff Member
Post 9 of 30

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this topic.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel the removal of the Sky Text service has been a bad move. As my colleague shaun-k has said above the reason that this service has been removed is not to disadvantage our customers but to concentrate on the new interactive areas which we are seeing a far greater demand for than the Sky Text service did. The main area of interest is now around Sky Apps which can be used through PC's, Tablets and mobile phones that can provide more information and detail than the Sky Text service could. I see this as Sky moving with technology and concentrating on developing services that use modern media rather than the older services which are not used as widely; a bit like transferring from analogue TV to digital. As this is a business decision we are not able to reverse this change but if you have a look at this page you can see the media services that we are currently working on.

Hope this helps,

Runner
Post 10 of 30

I too have to say that this was the last thing on Sky News that kept me coming back to the channel. The standards have steadily declined with introduction of celebrity based reporting each morning. Back to the Beeb for me.  We too never saw any banner ads.

Runner
Post 11 of 30

Hiya! I thought something was up with my sky box too! I never noticed any banner saying you were about to stop the text service! Well like many others I thought it was a great service! I used to turn the sound down on the video and just use the text!
I watch sky news quite a bit. But since the text has gone I've been going to the bbc for their text service instead! But It's not as good as sky's was. And I end up watching bbc news while I'm there! I think you've made a mistake, but! Sky will do what they want to do regardless of customers opinions. As one of you said you're decision is final! Shame really as your customers liked it!
Researcher
Post 12 of 30

I too thought my box must be broken.  I used this service every day and am dismayed at the withdrawl as I too never saw the withdrawl advertised anywhere, or notification issued to customers.  bad move Sky

Researcher
Post 13 of 30

I'd like to know where the banner was meant to be as I used the service every day ans never saw one!!!

Runner
Post 14 of 30

Dont remember seeing on Sky websites that they were removing the red button service, I will be looking into going to Virgin in the near future, BAD BAD move Sky

Runner
Post 15 of 30

Thanks for all the responses following my original post.

Sky have invited me to mark one response as an accepted solution, but of course there can be no accepted solution until the full service is reinstated.

Recommended Threads