Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

Researcher
Post 31 of 170

Re: Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

Had the dropout problem ever since April 2017, I have two sky q minis at home, both now on v071 of the firmware, and the problem still remains, I really have given up on this now, having to stick to normal mode. Would have bought a couple of more minis for other rooms, but now I just use sky go on the PS4, not really worth forking out £100 for something that can't even do dolby properly.

Boom Operator
Post 32 of 170

As with everyone else, only solution seems to be to leave setting on Sky mini to normal. At least my box has stopped resetting it to DD every morning which was getting very annoying !!

Researcher
Post 33 of 170

HI All,

I am having lots of sound drop out issues with my main Q box, my mini box is fine. I have a V2 2TB Q box and recently been having sound drop outs, sometimes when I switch it on, sometimes when i start to watch a recording and to cure the problem i have to switch the box off and wait a few minutes then switch back on and in extreme cases i have to unplug the mains and reset the box. I sometimes get pops and crackes through my AV Amp  when im turning Sky on and off.

I do have the sound going to the TV then to the Amp via TV ARC but I have tried wiring the Sky direct to the Amp and also turning the ARC off on the TV and having the audio output through the TV but it still happens regardless of how it is wired. I think it is an issue with the V2 Box because I did not have this issue with the old V1 box (that just use to lose Saterlite signal constantly), my TV is also has the latest software.

AV Amp - Yamaha RX-A3070

TV - LG 55UB850V

Researcher
Post 34 of 170

This is the same problem I'm having, we have tried everything, I'm contacting sky today I'm fed up with it.

Boom Operator
Post 35 of 170

Had my Sky Q system installed a couple of weeks ago and was fine for the first couple of weeks but has started happening in last few days on the 2TB box. Happens in off air and downloaded content.

Sky Q feeds into Samsung KS7000 via HDMI and then into a Q Acoustics Media 4 soundboard via optical. Audio is set to PC. All the way down the chain as that is what the Q Acoustics takes, so nothing to do with bitstream or DD.

Boom Operator
Post 36 of 170

After a couple of chats with Sky they sent an engineer out. Naturally it didn’t misbehave for him but he swapped the box anyway.

not sure I am convinced it will make a difference but wait and see. 

If happens again I will try optical out of Sky Q  direct into soundbar.

engineer said he had never heard of that issue before, reckons the V2 boxes are much better than V1, and put it down to possible read issues off hard disc.

various rumours that Sky are about to release a firmware update for audio issues like this, if they are I wish they would be honest and brief their phone team and field engineers, rather than keeping them and customers in the dark.

Researcher
Post 37 of 170

Engineer came out last Friday, disconnected suround sound, swopped box, problem solved👍

Oracle
Post 38 of 170

@turnbacktime Rumours are always around about possible firmware changes but in my experience they are rarely accurate. New firmware is always beta tested throughly and often changes cause issues and are pulled from a release which makes any pre-announcements pretty useless. Apparently there were a number of bugs in the audio system that were dealt with in the early firmware releases but Sky never comment on bug fixes formally. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 39 of 170

Engineer came out, swapped both mini boxes. Problem still there. Used multiple soundbars, multiple hdmi cables, multiple optical cables, even different TVs, same result. I don't think this will ever get fixed.

Boom Operator
Post 40 of 170

Problem occurred with 24 hours of getting new box. Currently have issue in with Samsung as well, but don’t hold out much hope, their attitude so far is that if OK on Freeview then nothing wrong with the set.

i would mind so much if thus was Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital +, Dolby Atmos etc but my issue is in straight forward PCM stereo audio, something that has been around for ages and worked fine with old Sky HD box, my Blu Ray, PS4, Chromecast etc.

Currently running with optical straight from Sky Q into soundbar and has been OK since making that change. But it isn’t a long term solution.

I can see me returning it yet and asking to go back to old system. pictures are great, Wimbledon in 4K was an eye opener. But when sound misbehaves all the time it really isnt worth it.

Researcher
Post 41 of 170

If any one is having this issue on the mini box, they should perhaps phone sky and tell them it's the same issue as the case I've got logged, ref  1017020866, I've been on the phone to them for hours on end trying everything under the sun, but at least they haven't closed off this issue.

Boom Operator
Post 42 of 170

If only mine was the mini box, in fa t mini box has been fine, mine is with the main 2TB box on PCM audio, not even DD.

Researcher
Post 43 of 170

HI All,

I think i have managed to fix my sound issue, after my last post i changed my BD player (which is under my Q box) and noticed dust marks on its top where the Fan in the Q box lives and noticed that although my Q box is a V2 with external power supply the box was still very warm. So I bought some rubber feet on ebay and used them to lift the box up to increase air flow under the box, I also changed my HDMI cables (just bought Amazon Basics cables) from Sky to TV & TV to AV amp and since then i have not had any sound drop outs.

I have re-used the HDMI leads I removed and they seem to be ok so i think it was the box getting warm and being a mechanical engineer looking at the design of the Q box the cooling and airflow design seems very poor.

Anyway i will keep testing the unit with the extra feet under it and see if the sound fails again.

Boom Operator
Post 44 of 170

@DJ+PhD wrote:

HI All,

I think i have managed to fix my sound issue, after my last post i changed my BD player (which is under my Q box) and noticed dust marks on its top where the Fan in the Q box lives and noticed that although my Q box is a V2 with external power supply the box was still very warm. So I bought some rubber feet on ebay and used them to lift the box up to increase air flow under the box, I also changed my HDMI cables (just bought Amazon Basics cables) from Sky to TV & TV to AV amp and since then i have not had any sound drop outs.

I have re-used the HDMI leads I removed and they seem to be ok so i think it was the box getting warm and being a mechanical engineer looking at the design of the Q box the cooling and airflow design seems very poor.

Anyway i will keep testing the unit with the extra feet under it and see if the sound fails again.

I will try something similar. Hadn’t noticed the box being particularly hot but seeing as I have only had it during the current hot spell it could be a contributing factor. It does have all the hallmarks of something just being on the edge and not needing much to tip it over.

Had already tried high spec HDMI leads rather than the Sky supplied ones, but that hasn’t made any noticeable difference.

And it is always rock solid on the optical out.

Researcher
Post 45 of 170

But if you can't use surround sound how has it fixed the problem? You should be able to watch stuff with SS.

I had sound dropouts until a couple of months ago when engineer replaced v2 box with v1. However it was the day after firmware upgrade so can't say what caused the fix. BUT, this week they have started again. Seems always to be on Movies with DD 5.1. Am about to phone Sky to complain. I confirmed it wasn't my amp by turning off and listening to sound just via tv speakers. Same problem. I've recorded the film to show engineers, but don't expect them to fix as it's definitely a box issue.

Recommended Threads