Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

Researcher
Post 1 of 170

Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

After the 134 page version of this thread (Intermittent sounds drops in both Dolby Digital and Normal sound) disappeared I’ve started a new one to help people looking for a solution to very frustrating issue. To resolve the intermittent sound drop outs on Sky Q you simply have to turn off Wi-fi on the main Sky Q box via the service menu. This has resolved the issue for me and other forum members. 

All Replies
First Assistant Director
Post 2 of 170

Re: Internittent sound drop outs (New post, original has gone missing)...

and will disable mini boxes for many others??

@Lilson wrote:

After the 134 page version of this thread disappeared I’ve started a new one. To resolve the intermittent sound drop outs on Sky Q you simply have to turn off Wi-fi on the main Sky Q box via the service menu. This has resolved the issue for me and other forum members. 

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 with UHD + two minis) using VirginMedia Vivid 350 (350/20mb).

Oracle
Post 3 of 170

Hi @Lilson the community managers have archived some older threads. Not sure why turning off wifi would sort sound drop outs but if it works for you so much the better. Normal advice is switching output from dolby digital to normal or vice versa and sometimes changing connection routes.

Mercifully this issue is far less common than it was after several firmware upgrades.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Researcher
Post 4 of 170

Thanks for the replies. Indeed it doesn’t help those that rely on the WiFi for their mini boxes, but sadly this was the only solution that worked for quite a few forum users after trying everything else suggested. 

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 170

The big main thread is here still: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/intermittent-sound-drops-in-both-Dolby-Digital-and-Normal-sound/m-...

But as I understand it, most of the problems now are experienced by people wanting to use Dolby Digital on a Sky Q Mini Box and experiencing lots of sound drop outs. Although problems still seem to vary Smiley Happy

Camera Operator
Post 6 of 170

I have all my setup connect by ethernet.

I am using virgin broadband and thought that as not using sky broadband the hotspots would be off.

They were still shown as on, so turned off WiFi on all.

I am still get the occasional drop out so it has not made any difference for me.

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 170

LOL now the main thread has been moved to the archive, here: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/intermittent-sound-drops-in-both-Dolby-Digital-and-...

And it seems I am now being emailed all 135 pages of the old thread post by post again as I was a subscriber to it Smiley Tongue

Camera Operator
Post 8 of 170

Is there any update on this issue as it happening more then ever for me.

Researcher
Post 9 of 170

Switched from Sky+ HD to Sky Q two weeks ago. Had engineers round Saturday to look into sound drop-outs and occassional picture break-up. They changed some connectors on the LNB but the drop-out was still noticeable on a recorded film that I had kept to show engineers the problem. Interestingly, when the engineer downloaded the same film via 'demand' the drop out did not occur when compared to the same clip on the version I had recorded via satellite. So it proves drop-outs only occur on braodcast transmissions, either watched live or recorded.

I said to engineers, (yes there were two of them) that my problem wasn't unique and that some people on the web were suggesting swapping back to the Version 1 of the Q box. To their credit they tracked one down and got another enginner to bring it round so it was installed on Saturday. It's too early for me to tell if it's made any difference and I will get back on here with an update in due course. Personally I can't think it will make any difference as I'm convinced it's the firmware that needs changing, and both V1 and V2 have identical firmware.

Oracle
Post 10 of 170

@rivibgreporter wrote:

Switched from Sky+ HD to Sky Q two weeks ago. Had engineers round Saturday to look into sound drop-outs and occassional picture break-up. They changed some connectors on the LNB but the drop-out was still noticeable on a recorded film that I had kept to show engineers the problem. Interestingly, when the engineer downloaded the same film via 'demand' the drop out did not occur when compared to the same clip on the version I had recorded via satellite. So it proves drop-outs only occur on braodcast transmissions, either watched live or recorded.

I said to engineers, (yes there were two of them) that my problem wasn't unique and that some people on the web were suggesting swapping back to the Version 1 of the Q box. To their credit they tracked one down and got another enginner to bring it round so it was installed on Saturday. It's too early for me to tell if it's made any difference and I will get back on here with an update in due course. Personally I can't think it will make any difference as I'm convinced it's the firmware that needs changing, and both V1 and V2 have identical firmware.

There's a known problem with the v2 boxes and certain TVs. It requires a firmware update for the TV (not the Q box) to resolve it - so far LG have released one and others have confirmed they're working on them.

Researcher
Post 11 of 170

My sound drop-outs occur through my Sony Home Theatre system via optical cable direct from thre Q Box, so the TV has no bearing on the issue. In fact, I have also tried the sound coming from the TV direct from the Box, bith optical and HDMI and the problem still occurs. So to me it does seem to be the Box that is causing the problem.

I'll give the V1 2Tb Box the engineers installed on Saturday a go, but it may be a couple of days before I watch anything in Dolby Digital on the channels where I experienced the problem before.

Ps - I have an LG OLED, whuch has the latest software. It does seem that there are a few people with LG sets who are having the problem,  but in my set-up it's only the picture going to the TV via HDMI with the Q box set to say the slound is only ouptut via optical..

Researcher
Post 12 of 170

UPDATE - Sound Drop-outs Stopped, (so far!)

Engineers exchanged box for V1 on Saturday. At same time they replaced some connectors on the LNB saying the ones the guy used when installing the hybrid two weeks previous were possibly wrong. I received firmware update V70 overnight on Friday. I also changed audio sync delay from 20ms to zero on Q box and set a delay on my TV instead. I cannot be sure which one of these changes caused sound drop-outs to stop. If indeed they have stopped.

Just to say I now have V1 Q box, optical sound to Sony Home Theatre system and HDMI picture to LG OLED TV.

Only time will tell if the drop-outs have completely gone as I was only experiencing them on Dolby Digital movies and another channel once, but I can't remember which. And I'm not watching movies every day.

Should I get a drop-out I'll be back on here to report.

Another thing, if you want to try a V1 Q Box get in quick. They're running out of stock.

First Assistant Director
Post 13 of 170

@rscott wrote:

There's a known problem with the v2 boxes and certain TVs. It requires a firmware update for the TV (not the Q box) to resolve it - so far LG have released one and others have confirmed they're working on them.

There is also a known problem with Mini boxes and DD sound drop out, an issue Sky have yet to solve. 

Runner
Post 14 of 170

I have two SkyQ Mini boxes and I have tried most of the logical settings. I’m pretty sure it’s not WiFi related as I have both the main SkyQ box and one Mini box hard wired with Cat6 and a 1GB router.

The time I have the problems is when the Sky Mini has been in use all day such as a weekend, and the unit gets very hot.

Powering it completely off for 30 minutes, or placing something cold and flat on the top of the unit to it cool down seems to work for me.

So if that’s the problem, then it’s a hardware problem not a software setting.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Researcher
Post 15 of 170

I have had my Sky Q box for two weeks and am experiencing intermittent sound dropouts of about two or three seconds - on some occasions with a flash on screen as well. Some days it hardly happens, others like today it starts from switchon.

if I rewind the live programme I am watching when it occurs, and play the segment again, there is no dropout or interference to be seen. 

I am playing the TV via an Onkyo which is being replaced by a Denon 3400 tomorrow (to get UHD and 4K) so we shall see if that changes things - before asking Sky for help.

Recommended Threads