How to stop an HD download and switch to SD?

Answered
Go to Answer
Highlighted
Sound Supervisor
Post 1 of 13

How to stop an HD download and switch to SD?

A couple of times I have accidentally stated to download a show in HD, rather than SD. However, I can't cancel the HD download and switch to SD. If I stop the download, it stops OK, but I then can't get an option for an SD download, it just 'resumes' back in HD.

The reason being my broadband speed supplied by Sky is pathetic and struggles to 4Mb. An SD show I can watch after just a minute or 2 of a download, in HD, I have to wait 20/30 minutes before I'm in a position to watch it - annoying when it's just an episode of Corrie!

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 4 of 13

Re: How to stop an HD download and switch to SD?

To prevent yourself from downloading an episode in HD again have you given any though to setting the Options > Customise setting of "On Demand Download Format" to SD Only ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 13

Have you tried stopping the download, deleting the part downloaded then permanently deleting from the delete tab?

Annie I DO NOT work for sky!

Sky Customer since 1989, Sky forum Oracle since 2012, Sky+HD user, Public beta tester for Sky, Apple & Microsoft, Computer analyst/programmer, Web designer, Xbox One X Gamer, I love technology, my main viewing is with YouTube & Twitch

when posting your issue could you please include ALL the steps you have gone through to try and fix the issue so that people do not have to waste time suggesting things you have already tried, also be as detailed as possible with the information you provide as there can never be too much, thanks

Sound Supervisor
Post 3 of 13

Must confess to not having tried that, would love to try it now but I'm up to 23% on HD download, and don't want to risk waiting another half hour LOL I will try that though next time I get trigger happy - thank you...

Answer
Oracle
Post 4 of 13

To prevent yourself from downloading an episode in HD again have you given any though to setting the Options > Customise setting of "On Demand Download Format" to SD Only ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Sound Supervisor
Post 5 of 13

@caesarome wrote:

Nice solution - now done! Thank you...

Director of Photography
Post 6 of 13

One other suggestion. Queue up HD downloads to download when you go to bed. That way, you don't have to wait and the HD version will be waiting for you when you want to watch.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Sound Supervisor
Post 7 of 13

@JonW42 wrote:

One other suggestion. Queue up HD downloads to download when you go to bed. That way, you don't have to wait and the HD version will be waiting for you when you want to watch.

That's hilarious! LOL I guess you live on your own, because when the Mrs says she wants to see Corrie, she means now, not tomorrow!

Director of Photography
Post 8 of 13

@StephenSky wrote:

@JonW42 wrote:

That's hilarious! LOL I guess you live on your own, because when the Mrs says she wants to see Corrie, she means now, not tomorrow!

SD for Corrie is OK with me as I would not be watching it. But for shows I do watch, I would queue overnight to get HD.

But, instead of slowly downloading in SD, why not just set series links in HD and not bother to download? That makes the most sense to me.

Sound Supervisor
Post 9 of 13

"Series links" are the most unreliable method of getting a regular show consistently, especially with bloody footie & Wimbledon where the schedules 'clash' all the time... Smiley Indifferent

Director of Photography
Post 10 of 13

I use series links and I have no problem due to Wimbledon or World Cup. Thing is, if you do set series links, you can take the burden away from having to download. There has not been one post about series links not working due to Wibledon or World Cup. And yes, many people set a seriels link for Corrie.

Sound Supervisor
Post 11 of 13

What can I say, maybe we just record a load of stuff on series link, and yes, it does cause clashes when schedules are screwed up from normal. I've been with Sky since 1992, and have used series links since they were invented subsequent to that! It's always been a problem - you're obviously lucky, and to be honest, the original question I asked on this thread has been perfectly answered by me setting my box never to allow a download in an HD format. I know you live for HD, 4k, Ultra and whatever else crap they 'invent', but SD doesn't bother me in the least...

EDIT:

Here's how a clash happens, if you have 2 shows series linked to start at 8pm, and Corrie on at it's usual time of 7.30pm, that's all fine & dandy, but if  'Corrie' is then shifted to 8pm because of some dramatic sports tournament, then you get a 'clash'.

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 13

@StephenSky wrote:

What can I say, maybe we just record a load of stuff on series link, and yes, it does cause clashes when schedules are screwed up from normal. I've been with Sky since 1992, and have used series links since they were invented subsequent to that! It's always been a problem - you're obviously lucky, and to be honest, the original question I asked on this thread has been perfectly answered by me setting my box never to allow a download in an HD format. I know you live for HD, 4k, Ultra and whatever else crap they 'invent', but SD doesn't bother me in the least...

EDIT:

Here's how a clash happens, if you have 2 shows series linked to start at 8pm, and Corrie on at it's usual time of 7.30pm, that's all fine & dandy, but if  'Corrie' is then shifted to 8pm because of some dramatic sports tournament, then you get a 'clash'.

Move to Q2TB. You'll get more tuners and no clash with Corrie.
Sound Supervisor
Post 13 of 13

@JonW42 wrote:

Move to Q2TB. You'll get more tuners and no clash with Corrie.

I can't even begin to list the reasons why that'll never happen LOL Smiley Very Happy Let's leave it like that eh? Question now asked, and answered...