Connection to On Demand: FAIL

Answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 176

Connection to On Demand: FAIL

I decided to try connecting our SKY+ box to the internet today to see if we could get Catch Up and On Demand. However when I did that, I get "Connection to Broadband Router: OK" and "Connection to On Demand: FAIL"

Things I have already tried, based on posts I've already seen here:

• Pressing the red Reset button several times while in the Network Settings
  • Changing from DHCP to Manual IP configuration
  • Using Google DNS or OpenDNS DNS servers in my router
  • Using Google DNS or OpenDNS DNS servers in the SKY+ Manual IP configuration
  • Rebooting the SKY+ box
  • Unplugging and replugging the Ethernet cable
  • Doing a planner rebuild

Also we are not on Sky broadband, does that make a difference? Is this service only available to Sky broadband customers?

Our Sky box is the SKY+HD type with the "3D" and "Anytime+" logos on it, but no "WPS" or wifi capability.

The Ethernet cable is fine as it is able to connect an internet enabled Bluray player just fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I have not already tried?

Thanks,

Dan Jackson.

EDIT:

System details:

Model number: R010.070.58.06P

Version number: 4f3108

Network version: 1.02

Manufacturer: Sky

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Community Manager
Post 11 of 176

Re: Connection to On Demand: FAIL

There are some known issues with some versions of the BT HH and in particular the On Demand Connector.

You might be able to resolve an OK/FAIL message by taking the steps outlined by BT here.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
All Replies
Retired Staff Member
Post 2 of 176

Hi @Jacksons-

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Sky Community.

I see you're having some issues connecting to On Demand. Can you please confirm your ISP and what router you're using?

Cheers,

Runner
Post 3 of 176

I have same problem - tried all sky suggested fixes - and those offered by online chat yesterday - if anybody has any new fixes please advise 

Runner
Post 4 of 176

Having the same issue. I have Sky Broadband and it's connected by the LAN cable. Internet is fine otherwise.

Could this be linked to the software update this week that seems to have dramatically increased the memory size required for programmes?

Staff
Post 5 of 176

Hi guys,

I know issues with your On Demand service can be annoying and I'd like to help with this. Can you please let us know if you have tried all of these troubleshooting steps? Are you both using a Sky provided router?

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks

Runner
Post 6 of 176

Yes tried all the troubleshooting steps and online chat to no avail - bt home hub - have another sky box connected ok in the house ?
Staff
Post 7 of 176

How are the two Sky Boxes connected to your Hub? Are they both wired etc?

Thanks

Runner
Post 8 of 176

Yes both wired
Staff
Post 9 of 176

Hi @heather+brynfa

Thanks for coming back to Liam. 

Can you please post up your version and model number of your box, you can find this by pressing the services button on the remote, followed by 0,3

Thanks, 

Researcher
Post 10 of 176

same here...

someone on a different forum mentioned that plugging in a "devolo" (or similar signal booster) solved the problem for them. Seems to be a particular problem with BT infinity broadband. I've got an apple airport extreme router which recognises the wifi mini-connector (& says it has excellent signal quality etc). 

I've tried everything mentioned above too. Would an upgrade to a new wifi/ WPS button HD sky box help (since the box is connected to broadband with no problem at all-seems to be the connector that's at fault)? 

Any comments very welcome! Thanks 

Answer
Community Manager
Post 11 of 176

There are some known issues with some versions of the BT HH and in particular the On Demand Connector.

You might be able to resolve an OK/FAIL message by taking the steps outlined by BT here.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Researcher
Post 12 of 176

Well, after a 65 minute conversation with sky (& going through all troubleshooting pathways again...) it appears it IS a fault with the connector. So we've waited more than 6 months for a connector that doesn't actually work. 

So what is Sky doing about it? Replacing the faulty wifi connector, of course (rather than updating our non-wifi sky box to a wifi compatible one). One useless fix after another. We've paid for a general Sky package plus movies & sports for at least a decade and expect better service than this. Sky should treat loyal customers better. Very disappointed. 

Sky's current slogan is: "Sky, believe in better". Laughable on this evidence...

Sky: please feel free to send me a new sky+HD box as a free upgrade (the least I would expect from a reputable company). Thank You. 

Runner
Post 13 of 176

Mine been like this since I started with on demand in my multi room using a wireless connector as my box isn't WIfI and its multi room so no ethernet cable
Runner
Post 14 of 176

I've been trying to get the ondemand connection up and running, but its just not working...

New wifi mini connector received today, it connects to the house wifi ok, but as per the rest of the posts under the network settings its just says connection to on demand: Fail.

We're on BT internet, with a home hub 4

Sky box is model number R010.070.58.06P.

I've tried resetting and reentering the connection details (i'm connecting using the password not WPS) and the 'help' from this link https://tv.help.sky.com/ondemand/setup/flow/setup-wireless-connector-mini

plus a couple more restarts for good measure.

Everytime it'll connect to the wifi (checked it was connected through the hub admin web pages) - but no connection to ondemand.

Help.....

Researcher
Post 15 of 176

It sounds like a fundamental compatibility problem with BT broadband and sky box model R010.070.58.06P to me.

We have BT infinity but use our apple airport extreme as a router, rather than the BT HH3 (due to better network quality and signal strength).  

Has anyone with BT broadband and the new Sky+HD box got these problems with on demand? I would be interested to know. I think all older-style boxes should be upgraded. Had ours 3-4 years now and paying £72 a month for our sky package. 

Recommended Threads