Can't send emails from iphone but can receive?

Answered
Go to Answer
Researcher
Post 1 of 69

Can't send emails from iphone but can receive?

Hi
Suddenly stopped being able to send emails from my iphone or ipad. They automatically go into my outbox and I get message saying,
Connection to outgoing server "Apple.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" failed . Addition outgoing mail servers can be configured in settings, mail,contacts, calendars.

I have no settings which mention apple.SMTP and have even tried adding this but to no avail. Have tried deleting the yahoo account and have done a reset, all to no avail.
Please help! !!
John
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Sound Supervisor
Post 31 of 69

Re: Can't send emails from iphone but can receive?

@Tally1971 wrote:

I've managed to find a solution and I can now send email from my Sky email account/sddress. Here's what I did:

1: I once again deleted my Sky email account.

2: On my iPhone, I went into Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calenders, but Instead of choosing "OTHER" in the new email account setup on my iPhone. I choose Yahoo.

3: I entered my username and password in the relevant sections.

4: I then saved the account in the normal way.

After doing this, I tried to send an email from my Sky email account and it sent with no issues. I also checked to see if it could receive email to it, and it can.

Strange thing is though. My girlfriends Sky email account, is setup by using "OTHER" in the email setup section, and her email account works perfectly fine.

Just thought I would post what's worked for me, as it might help others who are having the same issue Smiley Happy

Further to this.

I mention about using the Yahoo setting for when setting up the Sky email account instead of Other.

Well I have just got a new iPhone and was adding my email accounts. I'd tried to use the Yahoo setting but when I stored all the details, it mentioned that I needed to verify my account (or words to that affect) and then Safari opened up and put me on the Yahoo site, but nothing else happened.

So instead I tried using the Other setting instead of Yahoo, but I had the old problem again of not been able to send emails from my Sky email account, but I could receive them.

By chance I looked around and found the reason for it, and that was I needed to enter my password in not just the Incoming Mail Server section, but also in the Outgoing (SMTP) mail server sections too.

Basically once you have set the Sky email account up by using the Other do the following:

1: Go into Settings/scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars and touch this.

2: Next touch your Sky email account.

3: Then next follow what I have shown in this screenshots.

From_Skitch.png

From_Skitch-1.png 

From_Skitch-2.png

From_Skitch-4.png

From_Skitch-3.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you, then please click on the thumbs up on this post.
All Replies
Retired Staff Member
Post 2 of 69

Hi Jmcm68

Are you able to change your server settings to:

map.tools.sky.com Port 993 SSL selected

Thanks, 

Kristi
Community Coordinator
Sound Supervisor
Post 3 of 69

I too am seeing the same issues on my iPad, iPhone, Mac. I can receive email to my Sky email address, but I cannot send email from it.

It's definitely an issue at Sky's end because I have changed nothing in the settings. And it is all devices that I use Sky email on that is affected.

I have tried deleting the email account, rebooting my iPad, iPhone, then re-adding it, rebooting, but the issue is still there.

I have also checked and my server settings are as Kristi has suggested.

Is there any official announcement from Sky that there is an issue?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you, then please click on the thumbs up on this post.
Retired Staff Member
Post 4 of 69

Hi Tally1971

Thanks for the message and hope you're well. 

Could you please post your server settings for me (incoming and outgoing)?

Thanks, 

Kristi
Community Coordinator
Sound Supervisor
Post 5 of 69

@Kristi-C wrote:

Hi Tally1971

Thanks for the message and hope you're well. 

Could you please post your server settings for me (incoming and outgoing)?

Thanks, 

Thanks Kristi.

My incoming and outgoing server settings are:

Incoming is 993

Outgoing is 465

Both have Use SSL set to on.

Retired Staff Member
Post 6 of 69

Thanks for the reply. 

Please try the following information

Thanks, 

Kristi
Community Coordinator
Sound Supervisor
Post 7 of 69

@Kristi-C wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

Please try the following information

Thanks, 

Thanks Kristi.

I looked through there and everything is correct and is not showing any of the old gmail details.

I followed that link a while back when the switchover to Yahoo went through. And from that time, my Sky email has worked fine, its just in the last day or so that I've had the issue of not been able to send email from my Sky email account.

Editor
Post 8 of 69

Tally1971, try the following:

Log in to your Sky Yahoo! Email account online and hover over the cog icon at the top right and select account info.
You will then be asked for your password again so enter this and then select log in. This will take you to a personal info screen. Just close this and then try your email client again.

Sound Supervisor
Post 9 of 69

@jayach wrote:

Tally1971, try the following:

Log in to your Sky Yahoo! Email account online and hover over the cog icon at the top right and select account info.
You will then be asked for your password again so enter this and then select log in. This will take you to a personal info screen. Just close this and then try your email client again.

After following the above. I can now send email from my Sky email account on the Mail application on my Mac.

But I still cannot send email from my Sky email account on my iPhone or iPad. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 10 of 69

Just noticed one thing though.

My girlfriend also has a Sky email address (which is stored on my iPhone and iPad).

I have just tried sending an email from my girlfriend's Sky email address, and this can send email from it with no problems.
Oracle
Post 11 of 69

@Tally1971 wrote:

But I still cannot send email from my Sky email account on my iPhone or iPad. 

Try deleting the accounts on them both, rebooting and setting them up again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Retired Staff Member
Post 12 of 69

Hi Tally1971,

Thanks for getting int ouch. 

We are sorry to hear you are unable to send emails from your Sky Account. 

I can see that you have already checked your server and port settings.

Can I ask if you have followed the suggestion by caesarome by deleting your email accounts, rebooting your phone and then adding them again.

Let us know how you get on?

Kind regards,

Sound Supervisor
Post 13 of 69

The strange thing is though.

My girlfriend also has a Sky email address (which is stored on my iPhone and iPad).

I am able to send an email from my girlfriend's Sky email address with no problems.
Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 69

I am going to follow caesarome advice on delteting the email account. Although I did try this yesterday.

I'll update with the outcome.

Sound Supervisor
Post 15 of 69

Problem still remains despite deleting account and rebooting Smiley Frustrated

Just wondering if it could be an issue with the recent iOS 7.1.1 software update?