4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

Sound Designer
Post 31 of 222

Re: 4K/UHD really isn't much better than HD.

Ok, we can spend our money as we like!.

Boom Operator
Post 32 of 222

What I wouldn't recommend though, is plugging your AV Receiver in to the mains conditioner. 

I tried it once and the conditioner killed the sound field, drastically reducing the audio quality.    

Sky Q 2TB + Mini by Wi-Fi

Samsung JS9000
RX-A2060 - 9.2
Sony UBP-X800 4K
Monitor Audio & Q Acoustics
'Technology is Great - And So Very Frustrating!'
Boom Operator
Post 33 of 222

Sky’s tag line -

“believe in better..just don’t expect it..”

Boom Operator
Post 34 of 222

You ask how many would have rooms big enough for two 55” TVs. The mini box can’t be used for UHD viewing so there’s no requirement for a big TV in the second room. Only the main Sky Q box can display UHD.

—————————————————————————————
Looking forward to hearing your responses

Paul
First Assistant Director
Post 35 of 222

@fastbicycle wrote:

Additionally, apart from calibrating my TV I have also purchased a mains conditioner. If you're serious about picture quality, plug your TV and Sky box  in to an electrical mains conditioner and see the results for yourself.

All the best.

Mains conditioners are a complete waste of time as the mains incoming to your house is fine, unless there a power cut then no amount of conditioning will bring it back without a UPS

You say it was only a few quid but unless you are buying a high end Kikusui PCR4000M as used by musicians when playing in countries with dodgy electrics your are just wasting money,

Boom Operator
Post 36 of 222

20180105_184138.jpg

Samsung JS9000
RX-A2060 - 9.2
Sony UBP-X800 4K
Boom Operator
Post 37 of 222

I can respect your opinion. Not a problem.

'One man's trash is another man's treasure' 

Samsung JS9000
RX-A2060 - 9.2
Sony UBP-X800 4K
Camera Assistant
Post 38 of 222

Not that I am at all surprised  and again feel very let down by Sky with UHD content.

Next Thursday is that start of two major UK sports seasons in Super League Rugby League and Premier League of Darts surprise surprise yet again even two years after launch Sky sports are failing to show them in UHD they really do not bother about doing more sport in UHD.

These two are ideal as take place at times when the UHD transponders are available,are UK based,get good viewing figures and their OB partners in Telegenic for SuperLeague and CTV for Darts both have a number of UHD OB units and in fact will probably use them in HD mode as instructed by Sky

Researcher
Post 39 of 222

Thanks Jong99 for your reply. I was suprized that sky did not use BT.2020. I found this on the internet

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/skygroup-sky-static/documents/about-sky/commissioning-and-ideas-su...

Which confirms that BT.709 is used for SDR video. Another shock for me is that 25 fps is specified. This is odd as I thought skyq outputs at 50 fps.

As for HDR content PQ is specified which will be converted to HLG10 for broadcast. I find this disappointing as this will give the poorest HDR experience. My TV only supports HDR10 so I hope Sky will give the capability of converting to HDR10 in the skyq box.

I think the BBC has been over selling HLG10 by saying it is the best system for domestic tv.

Oracle
Post 40 of 222

@trevorh Sky is a European broadcaster and therefore complies with the European standards which are for HD are 1080i with 50 interlaced frames per second. The Q box can deinterlace that signal to give a 1080 50p output by creating the extra frames. If you output 1080i your TV deinterlaces instead. In practice the difference is minimal. All HD material is mastered to rec709 8 bit colour as that is the standard HD TVs are built to display

On UHD Sky broadcasts and the  Q box outputs 2160 50p (twice the frame rate of HD) rec709 Standard Dynamic Range in 8 bit and 10 bit colour - it is unclear how much material is actually broadcast in 10bit colour. Although Sky could use rec2020 for SDR UHD material some older UHD TVs would have issues. When/If HDR broadcasting starts then that stream will almost certainly be in rec2020 10 bit colour as all HDR TVs should handle the wider colour standard.

Sky standards for material they buy are future proof as material bought now may be required for new services not around now but it is likely that Sky will offer HDR but nothing formal has been announced. However Sky will almost certainly use HLG for their streams as they have to support live material rather than HDR10. If you read around you will see that creating and preserving HDR data in the transmission chain is a significant issue that HLG solves. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Boom Operator
Post 41 of 222

I think it's all down to expectations, set up, and the content.

A lot of people are expecting an SD to HD jump.

I've got an LG OLED 65" C7 and what with the upscalling etc, I watch some HD content and think this is amazing. Then I can watch some UHD content, and think it's 'alright'. A good one for me is Premier League football. SD is just crazy on 65" TV. Basically unwatchable. HD is good, although the overlays for scores and stats you can see just aren't crisp and you are losing a lot of detail. But when you bump it up to UHD, it's brilliant, the menus are crisp, you can see the details of the grass on the pitch, etc, etc. It's never going to be SD to HD jump, but it's never claimed to be.

Now, all we need is HDR. But I read somewhere that Sky said it isn't the right time. :-/

Camera Assistant
Post 42 of 222

I have just upgraded to a middle of the road, LG 4K Tv set, and whilst I don't have Sky Q 2TB UHD, I have watched some 4K films via other means and the quality is just superb.

Even my other half (who really doesnt care about Tv, Quality, HD or anything) even noticed how good it looks.

First Assistant Director
Post 43 of 222

@andybarneswrote:
Now, all we need is HDR. But I read somewhere that Sky said it isn't the right time. :-/

Actually it seems HDR is on the way @andybarnes Smiley Happy

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/sky-q-takes-another-big-leap-forward

SkyQ 2TB 2160P 10Bit - Samsung UE40JU6400
Q Mini 1080p - Samsung LE40A656
All wireless connection, Box Sets Bundle with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. BT Home Hub 6 with 52Mb fibre.
Boom Operator
Post 44 of 222

@manualoverridewrote:

@andybarneswrote:

Actually it seems HDR is on the way @andybarnes Smiley Happy

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/sky-q-takes-another-big-leap-forward

Oooh. Thanks for the link. Sadly exciting! ;-)

Researcher
Post 45 of 222

I know this is a little old but I’m running Sky Q through a Samsung 65” 9 series curved SUHD TV with a replaced Samsung bar with a AV Yamaha 7.1  DTX, Atmos amp and 3050 acoustics speakers which is getting  the absolute max out of Sky Q and what it is capable of doing and it still is average, I mean average with picture although it does depend on what you watch but sound is pretty good it now supports DTX, so I suppose it shows you that to get the most out of Sky Q the money you have to spend to get the most and that isn’t on most people’s book, so picture quality is there but just depends on what you watch and what you watch it on. 

Sky Q 2TB
Samsung 65” curved 9 series SUHD
Av Yamaha 7.1 DTX, Atmos running through Acoustics 3050 speakers
Sky fibre Pro 72MB