"Too many devices" ? How many devices are connected to your router?

Boom Operator
Post 16 of 60

Re: "Too many devices" ? How many devices are connected to your router?

I'll give this a try if it happens again after switching from Gigabit to Fast Ethernet.

(Don't want to change too many things at once - since if it gets fixed, I won't know what the fix was)

Executive Producer
Post 17 of 60

@JBDB

There is a log on the router called the Support recent activity log. Accessing it is via the Support menu option on the router interface at http://192.168.0.1 and then the recent activity log is inside the box area. That log may help further in isolating the issue.

-------

With Zen internet on G.fast (212Mbps down, 41Mbps up throughput). Own WebSite & Email High-Availability cluster.
Runner
Post 18 of 60

I'm having exactly the same issue - except not via separate AP, via built in WiFi on sky router. I'm on Broadband unlimited and get 15mb connection - or nothing.

Sky just keeps telling me I need to upgrade my wifi to fibre because I've got 14 devices connected, however most of the time it works fine - every now and then it stops completely and if I restart the connection it solves it.

Oracle
Post 19 of 60

@ieuan99 The limitation is not between broadband and fibre it is between the older Sky hubs like the sr102 and the newer Q hub (aka er110 and ek115) which have newer chipsets that can handle many more wifi devices.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 20 of 60

@Chrisee wrote:

@ieuan99 The limitation is not between broadband and fibre it is between the older Sky hubs like the sr102 and the newer Q hub (aka er110 and ek115) which have newer chipsets that can handle many more wifi devices.

Thank you this was my guess - although the support on the phone kept telling me I just needed to upgrade ot faster speed! 

Oracle
Post 21 of 60

Hi @ieuan99 sounds like you got someone determined to make a sale.

Runner
Post 22 of 60

Hi,

Have you had any luck solving this?

Think I have the same issue, typically just affects one device at a time though. So my device will stop working, others will be fine.

Sky Support gave me the same tosh just now about how my 30 devices are taking too much bandwidth. Trying to explain that most of them are in standby and are using very little just wasn't getting through.

Think this is likely to be the reason i move away from Sky. Shame as the speed is generally good when it works.

Runner
Post 23 of 60

Very similar situation here for us. Sky Q router, fibre broadband. No speed issues. Intermittent internet disconnects. Some LAN collisions.

20ish devices, mix between wired and wireless.

Intermittent internet drops (lasting between 6 seconds to roughly 1 minute) but LAN continues to work. Internet comes back up on its own after the drop. Logging onto router while internet drops out, the router displays 'broadband:disconnected'. Looking at the activity logs, I can see:

syslog:  Line 0: VDSL2 link down
syslog: Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN

I've spent hours on the phone, on chat support, etc trying to get someone to accept there is a line fault or something going on. All Sky Support tell me is I have too many wifi devices on my network and they can't send our an engineer because they can't see a line fault. When I asked them about the 'VDSL2 link down" in the log, their answer was "that is a server on your network losing connection".

I'm at a complete loss here. We've just renewed with Sky for another year getting Sky Q in order to get a free engineer visir because we had the same issues before we renewed on the older Sky Hub. That makes me think it isn't in-home hardware related but rather an issue with  the line somewhere. But no matter who I get through to, they won't send an engineer. They suggest things to try like turning off broadband shield and if I have any more issues, to go via text support. After hundreds of texts, their conclusion again is: "you have too many wifi devices".

Oracle
Post 24 of 60

Hi @mkessel if you post your hub's stats then someone can try to see what the problem is - the instructions are in the sticky at the top of the forum. The Q hub can handle loads of devices I have 15 on wifi and the same in ethernet so doubt that is your issue.

Researcher
Post 25 of 60

Exactly the same issue as above. Intermittent connection issues, internet is the only thing that disconnects, everything internal works fine. Internet light on Sky Q router flashes orange when it happens and we get the same "VDSL2 link down" messages in router logs. Sky refuse to admit it's a fault with the line and blame one of MY devices on the network

sky router.png

Boom Operator
Post 26 of 60

Much of the discussion here goes above my head but today i rang sky for help i am having issues with the sky q hub   At the time of calling i had 2 devices connected ethernet and 10 devices wifi most wifi as Apple probably 5 Ghz.

The help desk tells me my 8 mbps speed will not support my devices and i should expect issues getting my password accepted on the modem. Being honest i do not believe this is the case and i rang disconnections who are sending an engineer who they feel may resolve the issue. 

As far as i am concerned connection that often only carry data internally in my home ie apple tv streaming from a hard drive does not put much strain on the WAN only the LAN 

Comical really we are moving toward smart homes and the internet of things and i am being told effectively i can only have 3-4 devices on at any given time, next I expect advice for the type of abacus i should buy.

Really is a shame as i like sky and would take fibre if it eas available my only way of more speed is virgin media

fingers crossed that engineers do something but ludicrous situation and certainly gives e little faith the help / tech team are up to the job

Oracle
Post 27 of 60

Your bandwidth of 8Mbps reflects the total volume of data you can download from the internet at any one time, shared between all the devices being used. It doesn't matter how many devices are connected proving their use doesn't approach the 8Mbps bandwidth available. Streaming video or using catch-up on TV, for example,  involves particularly heavy use of your bandwidth and will use up most if not all of your 8Mbps. As you rightly say, that doesn't apply to data streamed from a hard disk on your internal network, but does apply to getting the data onto your hard disk in the first place if it has been downloaded from the web. It's unfortunate that Fibre isn't available to you as the higher bandwidth would probably solve the problem. Let us know the engineer's conclusion, if you have a moment.

Boom Operator
Post 28 of 60

@Mark39 wrote:

Your bandwidth of 8Mbps reflects the total volume of data you can download from the internet at any one time, shared between all the devices being used. It doesn't matter how many devices are connected proving their use doesn't approach the 8Mbps bandwidth available. Streaming video or using catch-up on TV, for example,  involves particularly heavy use of your bandwidth and will use up most if not all of your 8Mbps. As you rightly say, that doesn't apply to data streamed from a hard disk on your internal network, but does apply to getting the data onto your hard disk in the first place if it has been downloaded from the web. It's unfortunate that Fibre isn't available to you as the higher bandwidth would probably solve the problem. Let us know the engineer's conclusion, if you have a moment.

Hi Mark

The engineer came today he has not really encountered a limit on his own router though a few customers have been told a limit does exist. He kindly switched my router and popped in a booster upstairs 

i have reconnected all my devices and so far it seems stable, i have the best signal strength upstairs since i go skyq. One small point my router had air holes in the top the new one does not also the new one has a power brick not a direct mains feed. My old unit did get fairly warm perhaps external power runs the kit better

thank you again 

Oracle
Post 29 of 60

Thanks for letting us know - fingers crossed the stability continues! There is a limit (16) on the number of devices you can connect to one of the older Sky routers - the one shown in the graphic at the top of the page. That limit doesn't apply to the more recent Hubs.

Boom Operator
Post 30 of 60

@Mark39 wrote:

Thanks for letting us know - fingers crossed the stability continues! There is a limit (16) on the number of devices you can connect to one of the older Sky routers - the one shown in the graphic at the top of the page. That limit doesn't apply to the more recent Hubs.

Thats good news reference not limited i was doing a little more reading and i think my new one is V3 and the old one V2   I had the type of modem in the top image prior to getting sky q tv strangely that seemed to have better wifi range

Thanks again