Discussion topic: Sonos issues

This message was authored by littlelucys This message was authored by: littlelucys

Sonos issues

I know this has been discussed to death but I still cannot work out how to solve our issue.  We have Sky Q and one mini.  We have various sonos products through the house.  We have an Asus router using BT FTTP so super fast broadband.

Following previous similar issues, we did have the main sky box and one of the sonos speakers connected by ethernet cable directly to the router (solved all problems) but for various reasons we have had to put them all back on wifi.  We have sep wifi for 2.4 and 5 if we need to split that.  

Problem: sky works fine but Sonos keeps dropping out with error messages and devices disappearing.  This did not happen before we had sky Q. 

Please tell me there is a solution!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Re: Sonos issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@littlelucys

Can you definitely not plug one Sonos back into the router by ethernet? That would take all your speakers off your wifi completely and onto their own Sonosnet, which should cure the issue.

littlelucys
Topic Author
This message was authored by littlelucys This message was authored by: littlelucys

Sadly no. Different floors 

@littlelucys

Your Sonos speakers might be experiencing a wifi clash that your Sky Q box isn't for some reason. On your router, try changing the 2.4ghz channel from its current number to 1, 6 or 11. See if one of those improves things.

If not, then get a Sonos Boost and plug it into your router. That is the equivalent of a speaker, and will take your Sonos speakers off the wifi onto Sonosnet. It works like a charm. 

littlelucys
Topic Author

Thanks. Changing channels does not work (well not consistently).

I am aware than Boost will help but am reluctant to spend more money when the issue should surely be resolvable. I assume sky would not buy me this as it's their system thats causing the issues 😂

@littlelucys

Whilst Sky uses 2.4ghz to connect to a non-Sky router, as does Sonos, you could try instead changing the channel of Sky's 5ghz mesh just in case.

Go down to Settings but don't press Select. Instead type 0 0 1 Select to open the hidden menu. From there you can change the 5ghz channel. If it's 36, change it to 44, and press Confirm. Try that and see if that helps any better. 

littlelucys
Topic Author

thanks, will give that a go.  For the record, last time we had this issue (when we first got sky Q and were using wifi) we were using a sky router and still had the issue.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion