Discussion topic: Sky on demand not connecting - sky plus box

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Sambo41 This message was authored by: Sambo41

Re: Sky on demand not connecting - sky plus box

It's not a competition, I asked for help with MY issue. 

This message was authored by jonneymendoza3 This message was authored by: jonneymendoza3

Re: Sky on demand not connecting - sky pkus box

What's 28 years of service got to do with my problem of not connecting to on demand ? 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

It's unlikely Sky will reply here for the reasons already given. What have you tried so far @jonneymendoza3 ?

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Sambo41 wrote:

It's not a competition, I asked for help with MY issue. 

So what was the point of you mentioning your a customer for 16 years? It has absolutely nothing to do with your issue

I was just saying that this is a customer helps customer forum so people should not expectb a response from sky as it is very rare for them to post

@jonneymendoza3 wrote:

What's 28 years of service got to do with my problem of not connecting to on demand ? 

I was replying to the post I quoted and not you

This message was authored by jonneymendoza3 This message was authored by: jonneymendoza3

@Mark39 wrote:

It's unlikely Sky will reply here for the reasons already given. What have you tried so far @jonneymendoza3 ?

why wont sky reply on their official forums here then? What is the point of these forums then?

I tried the below:

1. reset sky plus box
  2. tried different ethernet cable connected to my skybox and router
  3. gave a static local IP to the sky box
  4. tried via wireless connection

@jonneymendoza3 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

why wont sky reply on their official forums here then? What is the point of these forums then?

I tried the below:

1. reset sky plus box

As I said, the forum is for customers to help each other

Have you rebooted your router?

You can see how the forum works here.

Try switching both your Sky box AND your router off at the plug. Wait a minute before restarting your router and five minutes before restarting your Sky box. If it still won't connect, call Sky (again) and report the problem - your Sky box may be faulty.

@Annie+UK wrote:

@jonneymendoza3 wrote:

@Mark39 wrote:

I tried the below:

1. reset sky plus box

As I said, the forum is for customers to help each other

Have you rebooted your router?

Is there a forum where sky do respond?

Yes i have also rebooted my router.

No. To progress this, you'll need to contact them direct.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Re: Sky on demand dropping out - sky plus box @

I finally sorted it out for me. I have an Asus router and I flashed it to ASUS Merlin and it now works really well. The router was only 4 months old and I know it invalidated the warranty but I could always flash it back so it was worth the risk. 

Re: Sky on demand dropping out - sky plus box @

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally sorted it out for me. I have an Asus router and I flashed it to ASUS Merlin and it now works really well. The router was only 4 months old and I know it invalidated the warranty but I could always flash it back so it was worth the risk. 

What did flashing the router have to do with sky+ working?

What feature did it add/remove from yoru existing router setup that stopped Sky on demand not working?

If you can give us some info that could lead to many of us finally fixing this issue

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

I have no idea what it did just that it worked. I was using a VPN and by flashing the router I was able to switch to a SmartDNS system. The original ASUS software did not allow for that but the new one did and it also cured my problem with my sky box. I had tried without  the vpn and even another router but without success. Hope you all sort out your boxes.

This message was authored by R.W+Laidlaw This message was authored by: R.W+Laidlaw

After a lot of trial and error and checking router logs, I think the problem lies with Sky. It would seem the "On Demand" box is sending out either a weak or incorrect DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) wifi request to the router and the consequence is that the router does not assign a LAN IP address to the "On Demand" box. Hence the failure to connect. This is why rebooting the router sometimes works, as that then resets the DHCP table and the router seeks all new DHCP/IP requests. I suspect there is little we end users can do until we either get a new HD+ box with built in wifi, connect via Ethernet cable or Sky brings out an improved "On Demand" box. 

RWilsonL

Try setting a static IP Address on the router, this will then bypass DHCP, I have both my Sky Boxes set to static and never have any connection issues

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion