Discussion topic: Sky Ultrafast 2

This message was authored by neillondragan This message was authored by: neillondragan

Sky Ultrafast 2

Hi 

I recently took out Ultrafast 1 and am happy with it speeds are well up to the 150MB. My first question is Sky did originally say there would be 2 tiers and an Ultrafast 2 with speeds of 300MB... now what has happened to that... it was announced but then seems to have disappeared? I live on a pure FTTP estate so BT can offer up to 900MB and Talk Talk have recently offered 500MB.  When will Sky offer increases is it in the pipeline?

2nd question doing a speed test on the Sky app doesn't give the actual true speed it just says you are getting more than 100MB which is the guarantee... anyone know why this is? 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky Ultrafast 2

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@neillondragan 

There's no published timescale on when Sky might offer higher speed tiers: it turns out timetabling the launch of FTTP for spring 2020 might not have been ideal.

The Sky app reads data from the Hub, but behind an Openreach ONT, ISP routers don't see an actual 'line speed': Sky Hubs display 0 Kbps, my BT SmartHub 2 shows 1000 Mbs (the native ethernet port speed).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by pjhardy80 This message was authored by: pjhardy80

Really hope they do a new tier. My artificial limit of line speed is so obvious (150mbit capped) that there's potential for more in the fibre. 

Neighbour has BT900 service and gets 950 on fast.com

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@pjhardy80 

The fibre itself is capable of shifting multi-gigabit: the limiting factor is the gigabit chipset in current ONTs and ISP routers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Its totally a Sky choice to limit the speeds offered.  To get the benefit of the hgher FTTP speeds you do really need to be wired to the router with cat 6.  I also doubt the aging Q mesh system would be up to puhhing anything close to this throughput around on WiFi.

God yeah wired connection all the way 

This message was authored by NeilFa This message was authored by: NeilFa

Standard Cat5e is good for gigabit speeds. Cat6 is technically overkill.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion