Discussion topic: Sky Q mini box proximity error mr209

This message was authored by BillyBanana This message was authored by: BillyBanana

Sky Q mini box proximity error mr209

proximity error happening every day? reboot the mini box and it works again; is this really something that has to be done every day?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Re: Sky Q mini box proximity error mr209

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@BillyBanana wrote:

proximity error happening every day? reboot the mini box and it works again; is this really something that has to be done every day?

Hi @BillyBanana  No you shouldn't have to reboot the mini box every day, you may need a wifi booster between your SKYQ main box and your Mini, you will need to call SKY for an engineer visit and they will provide a booster free of charge if you need one!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
This message was authored by Dan+Ev This message was authored by: Dan+Ev

@Quoman7 -  My mini box says this all the time. Several times daily. I have it hard wired into my bt router booster and still I get this. It also says there’s a technical fault with channel and moments later I can change channel and all systems go again.

it’s getting beyond frustrating now to be honest.

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Dan+Ev wrote:

@Quoman7-  My mini box says this all the time. Several times daily. I have it hard wired into my bt router booster and still I get this. It also says there’s a technical fault with channel and moments later I can change channel and all systems go again.

it’s getting beyond frustrating now to be honest.

Reset the network on the Sky mini box settings. Then turn off the 2. 4 and 5ghz wifi on the mini (go to Settings but don't press select - instead type 0 0 1 select and turn off WiFi from the hidden menu).

This will ensure the mini uses the ethernet to the router and not the mini box's wifi to the main box. 

Then turn the main box and mini off for 30 secs, at thr wall, then turn them on starting with the main box (let it fully reboot).

At no point press any WPS buttons between the boxes, even if it asks you to. 

This message was authored by LeoBlack30 This message was authored by: LeoBlack30

Did you ever find a solution to this that didn't involve a compromise? 
there seems to be something happening with mini boxes connected via Ethernet right now. 

BillyBanana
Topic Author
This message was authored by BillyBanana This message was authored by: BillyBanana

yes in the end I called in a network company who fixed it; not really sure what they did though but they did plug in some sort of diagnostic tool to see what was happening where; the one thing I know they did was switched off the 2.4 band in the M5 Mesh as they said there was a clash of some sort; sorry I cant be more specific

that said, the last 2-3 days I've had all the old problems back again on both mini boxes! I've changed nothing so defo something sky have done

This message was authored by LeoBlack30 This message was authored by: LeoBlack30

Turning 2.4 off is aiding my issues but certainly not a solution. 

Same here

This message was authored by JJTC This message was authored by: JJTC

Infuriating - all over Christmas we've had a proximity error sign & have to keep rebooting the mini box (main one is fine).  It's never happened before! 

I've got mine hard wired with a gigabyte Ethernet switch now and it's working fine. Both boxes connected wired to the switch which is wired to the router. 

good luck!!

This message was authored by KierenPound This message was authored by: KierenPound

Just to add I tried this and it worked perfectly.  I guess this way the wireless broadband cant interfere

It had been driving me demented

Yeah, definitely the way to go. Especially if you haven't got sky broadband. Netgear switch on Amazon is only about £16, plug it into the router and bang everything into there.

paying too much money for this service for it not to work properly!!

All the best people.

This message was authored by Valued-Customer This message was authored by: Valued-Customer

Hi Guys,

I have been having this problem for a number of months now. - My Internet is provided by Virgin for obvious reasons and works perfectly.  - Sky came out but I wasnt present at the time, howvever, they installed a Sky wifi booster which seeemed to sort the problem, but over the christmas period we were unable to get the sky mini to work in our upstairs bedroom. - There were a number of error msgs', the first was 'There was a problem finding your Sky Q Box on the Network' error MR104. - After restarting it then said, 'Your Sky Mini box has not been able to connect to the activation server' error MR106. - Asking me to confirm if I have active network, Yes/No, to which I clearly have but when clicked 'yes', it went back to error MR104. I contacted Sky as this was part of an ongoing problem which they recognised and arranged for an engineer visit who is due to arrive Tues 14th Jan 2020.

I have also tried to access the 'hidden sky Q menu', using 001 but cannot get it to show?? - It would be interesting to see if there are other newtorks avialable, i.e. Virgin, as when its working and I go to network and setup, There are 2 ticks next to 'Connected to Sky Q' and 'Network Connection'., but it seems to be locked to a 'SKY Network', despite our internet being provided by Virgin and cannot see a 'Virgin Network to re-connect to'.  It just seems to find and resort back to an unknown 'Sky Networkl'. - Also, when it is not working, only 1 will be connected or both will have 'x' next to them, showing not connected. - Remember the Sky Router has been completly removed from the equation.

We are also aware that there are some black spots in the house, so we purchased 2 additonal sets of home plugs (x1 is a wifi booster and the other is a wired booster which connects to the router, but both connect to each other either way) - I already have a set, connected to my sons room as he was complaining of Drop out and has had no problems since installing.

Having now added an additonal virgin home plug booster to the network, in our bedroom, I checked the connection from the homeplug with an ethernet cable direct into a laptop and it works perfectly. - I then, connected the ethernet direct to the Sky mini, to gain a wired connection, then restarted and re-paired the sky mini. - It now works fine however, after 25 mins it came back with error MR104. - I then restarted it again, where is now back on fine as my son is watching apps upstairs in our room fine.

I then googled the issue and came accross this thread. - Whilst I do not have an ethernet switch upstairs in the room affected, the Virgin Home plug, does have an ethernet out port which the mini is now connected to, so in principle this is the same, but the problem still seems intermitent.

Hi

I has all these issues as well. The Sky network it comes up as is the Sky system creating one to kid itself into working as a sky set up.

The wires coming direct from the boosters don't seem to work correctly and I think this is due to the switching.

The only way I have had it working correctly without getting all the different fault codes after 10-30 mins was a direct ethernet connection from the main box to the mini or the whole lot hard wired to the router via a switch coming out the back.

regarding the settings, you have to pinch the code in before entering settings, I also had this issue.

All your issues ringing bells, been there and feel your pain. I've now got an Ethernet testing kit £16 off amazon and an rj45 crimping set so I can do all my own wiring. 

good luck!! Hope you get it sorted. All I would say is...if you can run wires, do it. Get some cat6 cable and a switch. 

Ps. We had all the codes 001, 102, 104, 106, 204

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion