Discussion topic: Sky Go streaming from SkyQ

This message was authored by jackspratUK This message was authored by: jackspratUK

Sky Go streaming from SkyQ

Hi all,

I'm looking for some technical information about how the Sky Go app connects to my Sky Q box, so I can configure my rather complex network correctly.

Short version, when using Sky only network hardware everything works fine, but when using my own hardware then my main Sky Q box must be *on* (i.e. Green power, not Orange light standby) for the Sky Go iOS/Android app to connect.  I'm looking to understand how Sky Go / Sky Q communicate when in Standby so I can enable the appropriate services on my network.

Longer version - my network is a quite complex enterprise grade setup (long story as to why, related to my work).  For those with interest, it's an Aruba network fully managed through Aruba Central.  I have my Sky Q 2TB and my Sky Q Mini box connected though Ethernet with WiFi disabled.  They connect to my main switch, which in turn is also cabled to my various access points around the house.  Broadband comes via a Sky Q broadband hub.  It's a bit more complex then that, but I don't believe the other details of the topology are important for this.

Everything on both Sky Q boxes shows fully connected with all the ticks, and they work perfectly the whole time.  My problem occurs when I try use the Sky Go app (both Android & iOS) to connect to the Sky Q 2TB when it's in Standby (Orange light), so I have to turn it on (Green light) then the app connects fine.

If I remove my network devices, using only the Sky Q broadband hub cabled into the boxes and use the WiFi from that, Sky Go works fine even when the main box is in Standby (Orange light mode).  Thus I know everything Sky related is ok, and it's my own network I need to tweak.

I assume Sky Q is using some form of UDP Broadcast to advertise itself to the Sky Go app that my network settings are blocking, and that Sky Go can find it via some other TCP service when it's powered on?  Thus, before I go spend several hours/days running wireshark across this lot, does anyone have any insights into what's going on so I can get this working without having to get my detective hat out?

TIA!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion