Discussion topic: Possible fraudulent activity Sky maintenance

This message was authored by CLou This message was authored by: CLou

Possible fraudulent activity Sky maintenance

Please can someone help?

Yesterday I had a call from someone (I have the phone number) from Sky Assured Maintenance Ltd who eventually gave me his name as John D Souza. He told me that as part of my Sky contract I pay £10.99 per month for a maintenance contract and that if I have any problems I should contact him rather than Sky. I told him that I have no recollection of signing up to Sky maintenance for £10.99 a month. I looked at my bill whilst on the phone to him and there is nothing itemised. I asked him to send me a copy of my contract but he said he couldn’t send it to me until I renewed for another year (even though he initially told me I was tied into a two year contract). He said that my contract was posted to me last March and again a few months ago but said he couldn’t email it, only post it. I told him I hadn’t received anything and I was becoming suspicious if he couldn’t email it. 

He said that I had paid £132 for last year but that he would discount this to £95 if I renewed now for next year. He said if I didn’t renew then I would be charged £79 cancellation fee which was weird as he was asking me to renew which implies I was out of contract. As I couldn’t see anything itemised on my bill I said I would do nothing until I spoke to Sky to verify what he was saying. He said that if I didn’t renew then I wouldn’t receive any further support from Sky for any of my services as this maintenance covers them all! He said my last contract expired 29 May.

Can you please confirm if this is something I signed up to through Sky last year and if so why wasn’t I given a choice or why wasn’t it communicated to me? And why can't you send me the contract on email?

suspect this may be a case of fraudulent activity but it is concerning if he is phoning all your customers, he was quite convincing and at one point gave me the option to pay a year in advance for a reduced fee, which would involve people giving him their card details! 

Please can Sky investigate this as a matter of urgency to avoid customers being defrauded. I tried to email Sky yesterday but the support email address is no longer in use. As per the advice on your website I then reported it.

Please can you confirm indeed that this was definitely fraudulent activity?

Kind regards

Clare

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Possible fraudulent activity Sky maintenance

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CLou  Sky won't investigate this on the back of a forum post.  As we are all customers here we have no account access so no one on the forum can tell you what you siogned up for.

It is more likley to be Sky Protect run by Domestic & General, not Sky, other than using the Sky Brand it is not Sky who sell it

Have you ever had Sky Protect?

If not it may well be some sort of scam.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@CLou 

You aren’t talking to Sky here as this is primarily a customer helps customer forum and there will be no automatic contact from Sky as a result of your post on here. It sounds very much like a scam. The only company Sky 'endorse' is Sky Protect which is operated by Domestic and General. You should know if you are signed up to them. Any payments to Sky Protect are billed separately so check your bank statements.
No investigation will be forthcoming as a result of you posting on here. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@CLou Its a scam, your monthly payment to Sky does not include any payment towards maintenance.

Edit.

It is a private company registered to 9a Porters Avenue, Dagenham, England, RM 9 5 YS, incorporated in Janurary 2022 and previously known as EVERLAST ALLIED LIMITED.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CLou wrote:

Yesterday I had a call from someone (I have the phone number) from Sky Assured Maintenance Ltd

There's no business of that name registered at Companies House, so this is probably a clue.

The closest is this one:  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12382951 which may well be entirely unrelated to that call, although their website (which fails browser security) does indicate they are in the extended warranty and electronic repair line of work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

Unfortunately it's most likely a scam. They claim to be from Domestic maintenance (which sound similar to Domestic & General who Sky deal with) & claim your cover is about to expire & that if you renew they can give you a good deal.
Did you give any banking &/or credit card information? If so please contact your bank/the card provider immediately & inform them you believe you've been scammed.

Enter the phone number here: https://who-called.co.uk/ & see if the number is listed.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
CLou
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply. I don't have Sky Protect. It's so hard to contact Sky these days so I reported it to Action Fraud. He did sound convincing so am sure some fell for it! 

CLou
Topic Author

Thank you. I just couldn't get through to anyone at Sky so joined this forum, it's much more responsive! 

CLou
Topic Author

Thank you very much Dave. He just sounded like he could so have been Sky! He started by asking how my connection has been lately which is how I got talking.

This message was authored by CaptCarrot This message was authored by: CaptCarrot

I've updated Wh Calls Me with my experience as an internet search of the number revealed nothing...

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07491954139

This message was authored by pamjean This message was authored by: pamjean

This happened to me yesterday but I allowed myself to be conned into handing over £60. After thinking about it I rang Sky accounts and was told that I had no maintenance contacts with them and nobody from Sky had accessed my account.I was told that this was probably a scam. I immediately phoned my bank and they cancelled my card. They say they will stop payment before it is cleared. I rang the number that wad given to me by the fraudsters and the person who I spoke to originally answered. I told him that I was just checking the number that I had been given.  Sky have opened a case about this matter and also reported it to the police.

Today I received a call from the "mainenence company" saying that my payment has gone through ( this is untrue as it is still oending on my account) and I will receive my documents within a few days. I told her that any correspondence would be sent to Action Fraud and that I didn't want to discuss  it further and put the phone down.  Interested to see what happens next especially if the payment is stopped.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion