Discussion topic: Online gaming ping spikes / packet loss / frequent jitter when playing Fifa

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Samorai
Topic Author
This message was authored by Samorai This message was authored by: Samorai

Re: Online gaming ping spikes / packet loss / frequent jitter when playing Fifa

@JPR007 

No worries mate, good that you asked. Xbox is connected to the router and not to ONT.

ONT has a power cable, a fibre optic cable and an ethernet cable (going to router). 

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Samorai Was just checking as that's what I thought it looked like but my bad if it wasn't.

The speed test results over Ethernet show no issues with the connection. You won't get those results over WiFi ever it's too unreliable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Samorai 

Yeah your results are fine over ethernet. Are you sure you still get the lag over ethernet? Make sure the Xbox connects via the network cable and isnt defaulting back to a known saved WiFi network. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Samorai
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

Xbox is defo connected to the router via ethernet cable and I still get ping and jitter issues (displayed in the game while playing online and the game can stutter). 

This has been explained by EA in this diagram. EA logos.JPG

(source of diagram: https://help.ea.com/en/help/fifa/fifa-connection-indicators/

In each online match, I get the top and bottom icons multiple times and usually yellow and occasionally red.

Now, I can see that speed has improved slightly and Sky is doing something in the background. Ping and jitter aren't great and I never had these issues when I was on super fast broadband via copper wires. 

And would you say these ping spikes are normal?

BQM 10 nov 2.JPG

Especially b/w 2-3 pm.

Not sure if pings should be that high. 

Lastly, we are going to have some extension work done and going to move my Xbox into a different room. In this men's cave, I am not going to have sky router or ethernet cable from sky router to Xbox. 

Sky is sending me this extender. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Q-Wireless-Booster-2019/dp/B07TFH5RM5?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontex...

It has an ethernet cable at the back. I wonder if anyone used it? And if this is any good? My worry is that if I am getting ping variation on the main router, it will only get worse. 

The other option I am contemplating is: https://www.box.co.uk/DECO-M5(3-PACK)-TP-Link-Deco-M5-Whole-Home-Mesh-Wi-Fi-Sy_2166126.html

It gets good reviews and I can prioritise Xbox as a top priority to play online. Would welcome your opinion. Or if anyone else using these Mesh systems. 

@Samorai 

Your BQM looks fine, those ping variations are normal for a Sky hub because it priorities internal traffic before responding to WAN pings so when your using your internet the BQM's response time will increase. We would only be worried if there was lots of red. 

Connecting your Xbox to the back of the extender will still cause issues because it has a WiFi hop and doing that WiFi hop via a booster will make things even worse so I would certainly look at a different solution. 

Have you considered just outright replacing the Sky router with a more gaming oriented router that has QoS & Game modes?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Samorai
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

I have considered it in the past and forums suggested that we had to sticky with sky router. 

Have things changed? Can we use aftermarket routers now?

@Samorai 

Nope not restrictions you just have to make sure it can authenticate via DHCP Option 61 or IPv6 PD. Most routers do now with the exception of Netgear which seem to still have issues.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Samorai
Topic Author

Thanks mate.

Is this any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089YXY2YH?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2258658063&t...

And is there any guide you suggest to set up gaming routers to sky fibre optic connection?

Thanks. 

@Samorai 

Yeah decent router but not 100% sure if it supports Sky's authentication. @cookiemonsteruk is usually pretty good at recommending compatible routers/firmware

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Samorai
Topic Author

Thanks @jamesn123 read amazon reviews that it will not work with sky.

@cookiemonsteruk any suggestions? TIA

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@jamesn123 

Just looking at this

@Samorai 

I don't think it supports dhcp option 61 and if you are on fttp its hit or miss as to whether tp links work well with prefix delegation

Within that price range (ish) the competion would be asus rt ax56u (£100-£110) and the asus rt ax58u (£139 ish) both will work with dhcp option 61 and/or dhcpv6 prefix delegation

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Samorai
Topic Author

Thanks @cookiemonsteruk  appreciate your input.

Out of those two, which one would you suggest. I cannot see much difference other than two additional antennas on 58u. I am not very tech minded though. 

Is there any DIY guide on how to use these with sky Q Hub (latest model)? 

Reading on reviews of ax56u: 

56 router.JPG

Reading on reviews of ax58u:

58 routerr.JPG

Will appreciate your input. 

@cookiemonsteruk 

the AX58u has two more antennas for coverage and faster date rates 

AX56U up to 1201 Mbps

AX58u up to 2402 Mbps

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Samorai
Topic Author

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Samorai 

Personally the rt ax58u simply because it has lifetime free subscription aiprotection pro. Which means robust deep packet inspection (analyses and blocks suspicious packets trying to access your network) and parental control. It also has aimesh which allows you to easily add mesh nodes to it. But in itself should cover 2200 sq ft (thru walls and floors

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion