Discussion topic: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by .Chris.... This message was authored by: .Chris....

Re: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

@Mark39 wrote:

@.Chris.... wrote:

@jewers wrote:

I am not very clever with broadband technology.  Have had Sky ADSL broadband for nearly ten years and am planning on upgrading to Superfast fibre but am holding on until new hub available and hopefully Sky might  let me buy one of these.  However could someone explain to me why the telephone wire has to be connected to hub?  I at present have the SR 102 hub and have an Openreach MK3 socket where the hub is connected separately at the top of the socket and the phone is connected separately underneath.  Your help would be much appreciated.

@jewersWith recent master sockets there are separate connections for phone and data. The filter is built into the socket. It makes connections very easy.

Not sure  I understand this. The setup instructions for both G.Fast and Superfast versions of the new Hub tell you to plug your phone into the phone socket on the rear of the Hub. I assume that can only mean a VOIP phone not a standard handset. For Superfast, I'm assuming that a standard handset should still work when plugged into a microfilter or the phone port of a pre filtered master socket.

@Mark39Yes you are correct. A VOIP phone will plug into the new router, but as we don't have the new router, and as Sky don't currently support VOIP, then the old analogue phones we have been using for many years need to be plugged into the phone socket on the master socket (or filter if it does not supply separate data and phone sockets.).

This message was authored by jewers This message was authored by: jewers

@Mark39 @Many thanks for getting back to me.  Hopefully it will work OK by plugging my standard phone into my MK3 socket as I do now.   I will ring Sky soon to see if can purchase this router when I upgrade to Superfast.

This message was authored by davegka This message was authored by: davegka

Hi Mark,  

On the new hub the standard phone only works when plugged into the hub there is a port for uk phone and one for Italy and ROI,  when plugged into a micro filter or straight to phone line they will not work. They will only let you use the standard phone when it is connected directly into the back of the hub.  Hence you can only have one landline phone per home line.

@Mark39 wrote:

@.Chris.... wrote:

@jewers wrote:

I am not very clever with broadband technology.  Have had Sky ADSL broadband for nearly ten years and am planning on upgrading to Superfast fibre but am holding on until new hub available and hopefully Sky might  let me buy one of these.  However could someone explain to me why the telephone wire has to be connected to hub?  I at present have the SR 102 hub and have an Openreach MK3 socket where the hub is connected separately at the top of the socket and the phone is connected separately underneath.  Your help would be much appreciated.

@jewersWith recent master sockets there are separate connections for phone and data. The filter is built into the socket. It makes connections very easy.

Not sure  I understand this. The setup instructions for both G.Fast and Superfast versions of the new Hub tell you to plug your phone into the phone socket on the rear of the Hub. I assume that can only mean a VOIP phone not a standard handset. For Superfast, I'm assuming that a standard handset should still work when plugged into a microfilter or the phone port of a pre filtered master socket.

This message was authored by .Chris.... This message was authored by: .Chris....

@davegka wrote:

Hi Mark,  

On the new hub the standard phone only works when plugged into the hub there is a port for uk phone and one for Italy and ROI,  when plugged into a micro filter or straight to phone line they will not work. They will only let you use the standard phone when it is connected directly into the back of the hub.  Hence you can only have one landline phone per home line.

@davegkaYou have the new hub? Then you are one of very few.

Who is this 'they' who will not let me use a phone connected to the master socket rather than the hub?

How will 'they' stop me?

Did 'they' consult with BT on this? BT provide the master socket. I think BT might have a different view.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@davegka wrote:

Hi Mark,  

On the new hub the standard phone only works when plugged into the hub there is a port for uk phone and one for Italy and ROI,  when plugged into a micro filter or straight to phone line they will not work.

That's  what I don't understand. I know the Hub setup instructions say the phone won't  work when plugged into the microfilter and I imagine they're  referring to a VOIP phone - that  makes sense. Is that what you're referring to, or have you physically tried it?

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

My understanding is that only customers trialling VOIP will have the new hub along with a select few that have been lucky enough to obtain one @@ and @@ im sure if you could only plug the phone into the socket on the back of the phone either @jamesn123  or at @Chrisee would have mentioned that in their reviews. 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@davegka I think there is some confusion.

Sky is trialling a new product called SOGEA where customers do not have a traditional phoneline connection they get the voice service over IP. The new sr203 has two phone sockets one for UK phones and one for ROI and Italian phones. The only people so far who have the new hubs apart from some staff and James and myself are people on that trial.

If you are one of those there is no traditional phone connection at the exchange so plugging a phone into the master socket wont give a dialling tone you have to use the socket on the router but have no need for filters anywhere. Read the set up guide  that came with the router.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

A Sky Engineer came and fitted it but the phone didn't work after he went.  The help desk after several attempts contacting the next level up informed me this is the case the SR203  some how it other only works through the hub. If anyone can advice me other wise I would be incredibly grateful for your help.

@davegka wrote:

A Sky Engineer came and fitted it but the phone didn't work after he went.  The help desk after several attempts contacting the next level up informed me this is the case the SR203  some how it other only works through the hub. If anyone can advice me other wise I would be incredibly grateful for your help.

@davegkaYou must be the first person to have an SR203 fitted by Sky.!

No it's a standard landline phone.

@.Chris.... wrote:

@davegka wrote:

@davegka wrote:

@.Chris.... wrote:

@davegka wrote:

@davegkaYou had the new router installed - I wonder if Sky meant to do this?

But anyway as you don't have SOGEA it should not affect your ability to plug a traditional phone into your master socket. There is clearly a fault and you need to report this to Sky and get them back to fix it.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Chrisee off course I did mean SOGEA 😀😀😀 thanks

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

@.Chris.... wrote:

@davegka wrote:

@.Chris.... wrote:

@davegka wrote:

@davegkaYou had the new router installed - I wonder if Sky meant to do this?

But anyway as you don't have SOGEA it should not affect your ability to plug a traditional phone into your master socket. There is clearly a fault and you need to report this to Sky and get them back to fix it.

Hi have spoken to sky and they informed me that my phone won't work unless I plush it into the hub. I have a choice super fast broadband and one phone or older hub and shower broadband with out the other phone.  I will have to use my mobile if upstairs and ignore calls to add I have mobility issues (cue violins).  Still very keen on any archive that may help.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@davegka You can use a cordless DECT phone system with multiple handsets just plug the base station into the hub which to the phone works just like a phone socket. Then you can put the other units around the house.

My own Panasonic system has 4 phones scattered round the house sitting in charging cradles all connected to a single phone socket at the other end of the house. You can buy systems with as many handsets as you require. DECT has very good range so unless you live in a huge house it should work.

As I thought you are on the SOGEA trial bybthe way. It i]seems that is the only way customers can have the new hub at the moment.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Chrisee wrote:

@davegka You can use a cordless DECT phone system with multiple handsets just plug the base station into the hub which to the phone works just like a phone socket. Then you can put the other units around the house.

My own Panasonic system has 4 phones scattered round the house sitting in charging cradles all connected to a single phone socket at the other end of the house. You can buy systems with as many handsets as you require. DECT has very good range so unless you live in a huge house it should work.

As I thought you are on the SOGEA trial bybthe way. It i]seems that is the only way customers can have the new hub at the moment.

Thanks Chrisee  that's great I will try it

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion