Discussion topic: Do all Sky Store Movies make it to Sky Cinema?

This message was authored by Ray+P This message was authored by: Ray+P

Do all Sky Store Movies make it to Sky Cinema?

I know Sky Store has the latest movies and you pay a premium for watching them. But I have a suspicion that not all migrate to Sky Cinema. Is that suspicion true? If not then why not? Does it effectively mean Sky Cinema is the poorer cousin to Sky Store?

And let’s not forget we pay a fair amount to Sky for that subscription plus £10/month for HD and £12/month for UHD to watch them in a higher resolution than 720*576p.. So it’s not exactly a great deal if some of those films never become available unless you pay extra.

One example is Fight Club which I chose last night as my free VIP movie. That film has never been available in Sky Cinema. Why not?

Loewe Bild 7.55 OLED TV; Sky Q 2Gb; Arcam AVR21 AVR; B&W CM4 / CMC / 702 / 663 speakers.

Best Answers
This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR Answer

Re: Do all Sky Store Movies make it to Sky Cinema?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ray+P wrote:

I know Sky Store has the latest movies and you pay a premium for watching them. But I have a suspicion that not all migrate to Sky Cinema. Is that suspicion true? If not then why not? Does it effectively mean Sky Cinema is the poorer cousin to Sky Store?

And let’s not forget we pay a fair amount to Sky for that subscription plus £10/month for HD and £12/month for UHD to watch them in a higher resolution than 720*576p.. So it’s not exactly a great deal if some of those films never become available unless you pay extra.

One example is Fight Club which I chose last night as my free VIP movie. That film has never been available in Sky Cinema. Why not?

No they don't all come to Sky Cinema. There are different rights for the services and other films belong to other services eg Netflix etc

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR Answer

@Ray+P wrote:

No they don't all come to Sky Cinema. There are different rights for the services and other films belong to other services eg Netflix etc

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Some turn up on the likes of Chanel 4 and 5 having never been shown on Sky Movies.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Ray+P
Topic Author

@SDR , right so it’s effectively a second class service. Never used to be like this. I can remember back in the 90s there was a great premier every Saturday. There was no Netflix back then so they had more power.

Loewe Bild 7.55 OLED TV; Sky Q 2Gb; Arcam AVR21 AVR; B&W CM4 / CMC / 702 / 663 speakers.
This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

@Ray+P wrote:

@SDR , right so it’s effectively a second class service. Never used to be like this. I can remember back in the 90s there was a great premier every Saturday. There was no Netflix back then so they had more power.

It's not the 90s anymore though... and Sky are not the only game in town. We have Netflix, Amazon, Starzplay, Shudder, Mubi, and Disney Plus on its way.... there are more places for studios and distributors to sell their films and more services fighting for market share. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
Ray+P
Topic Author

@Plektrum “It's not the 90s anymore though... and Sky are not the only game in town. We have Netflix, Amazon, Starzplay, Shudder, Mubi, and Disney Plus on its way.... there are more places for studios and distributors to sell their films and more services fighting for market share. ”

So it’s a diluted product but Sky are still charging as much as they’ve always done. Poor value for money. 🤨

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Ray+P

Yes, it's called maximising investment. Sky are likely to need to pay a lot more now than they ever did for movies as its a seller's market - the studio has the power because they can sell to so many more platforms now. So Sky need to pay the asking price or risk not having any decent movies at all. They may have fewer movies but their outlay is probably more, hence the pricing.

Subscribing isn't compulsory. 

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

@Ray+P wrote:

@Plektrum “It's not the 90s anymore though... and Sky are not the only game in town. We have Netflix, Amazon, Starzplay, Shudder, Mubi, and Disney Plus on its way.... there are more places for studios and distributors to sell their films and more services fighting for market share. ”

So it’s a diluted product but Sky are still charging as much as they’ve always done. Poor value for money. 🤨

Well as @Rhonny says subscribing isn't compulsory - as a customer it's for you to assign value to what you're paying for. 

The market is different - studios are making fewer movies yet there are more movies being made than ever; streamers are acquiring and making their own product by going straight to the talent and that's reducing what's out there and making the market more competitive - and Sky themselves are doing that too to ensure they have an attractive portfolio of content... and despite all that, yet now they still have more first run studio movies than their main competitors and still adding more new content (to varying levels of quality) than they did just a few years ago. 

Its not a diluted product as much as one that reflects the current state of the business. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion