Discussion topic: Darker TV screen since we went onto Sky Q. Tried all settings.

This message was authored by TDC1963 This message was authored by: TDC1963

Darker TV screen since we went onto Sky Q. Tried all settings.

We bought a 4D HD ready TV from Sky before we upgraded to Sky Q. Once we had upgraded to skyQ the screen has gone dark during dark programmes, you can barely make out what is going on. For example, Sabrina the Teenage witch, we have watched all the previous series with no problems before SkyQ but now we can't see what's happening because it's so dark. My husband is an IT technician and he says the box is not ready for the programme formats that are being sent to the box for us to view. I hope that makes sense? He's tried everything in the settings and we are always getting updates so I know that's current.

What I want to know is what can sky do about this. They sold us a TV that's not compatible with the Sky Q.  Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done about it? We can't afford to just go buy a better TV. 
Help?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Darker TV screen since we went onto Sky Q. Tried all settings.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TDC1963 wrote:

My husband is an IT technician and he says the box is not ready for the programme formats that are being sent to the box for us to view.... ...What I want to know is what can sky do about this. They sold us a TV that's not compatible with the Sky Q. 

No: that's not the case.  It may not be a very good television, but that's a different issue: essentially any mainstream TV manufactured in the past decade is 'compatible with the Sky Q'.

The usual cause of darkness like that is an 'eco' mode being active, or 'Ambient Light Detection' reacting to the room conditions.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@TDC1963  Do Sky sell TV's, if they do it's a first for me.  Being IT literate doesn't make someone knowledgeable about TVs either.  As @TimmyBGood  It's most likely the settings on your TV, best option is to read the TV user guide to get the best from your TV.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GD1 wrote:

@TDC1963  Do Sky sell TV's, if they do it's a first for me.

They used to list a few in the Accessories Store: there's still a placeholder there for 'Tech' showing a low-end LG .

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@TimmyBGood  That would explain it 🙂

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by ulb52 This message was authored by: ulb52

We had sky HD+ and were very happy with it.  Then it died and we were told we had to have Sky Q.  We agreed and bought a new tv too (Mitchell and Brown).  Sky engineer came out and fitted it up and all was fine.  This afternoon, when we turned it on for the football, it was so dark it was hard to follow the players.  We hav3ntvaltered anything, what's happened ?  HELP please

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@ulb52 wrote:

We had sky HD+ and were very happy with it.  Then it died and we were told we had to have Sky Q.  We agreed and bought a new tv too (Mitchell and Brown).  Sky engineer came out and fitted it up and all was fine.  This afternoon, when we turned it on for the football, it was so dark it was hard to follow the players.  We hav3ntvaltered anything, what's happened ?  HELP please

If you were watching the football in 4K then it may be that your TV cannot cope with the format that is used by SKY to provide HDR on the football (and for any HDR films & programmes)

Please see this link :

https://community.sky.com/t5/Sky-TV/Watching-the-football-why-is-the-picture-dark/ba-p/3749145

which has info on how to set the SKY box so that the TV remains bright (by setting to 8 bit with the 2160P UHD resolution)

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion