Discussion topic: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ed.B. you must be functionally illiterate yourself how do you know it's pages and pages you can't even use the My Sky app correctly to find this information.

Doesn't make any difference if it's one Sky Stream or one Sky Q you signed up to use the Sky TV Services at your registered address taking it to Timbuktu is not your registered address unless you live there and Sky delivered and installed the equipment in Timbuktu. LOL

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Can you move the puck between properties and watch sky streaming on different TVs /routers?

Unless GF and Mother move out are they expecting two pucks out of the four you have

Time will tell🙂

This message was authored by panman0603 This message was authored by: panman0603

indeed time will tell, after all I am being fully compliant with the T&Cs 🙂

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ed.B. wrote:

This is a ridiculous restriction, especially to people with only one puck. 

It's a restriction entirely in keeping with the history of Sky television hardware products which have never been 'portable' between addresses.

Whether it's what any particular customer expects is different.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by panman0603 This message was authored by: panman0603

Tangential Thought:

Sky Go (which is effecitvely a Puck on your Phone/Tablet/PC) is't restricted to your Registered Home Address so in terms of receiving Service what's the actual Difference between taking your Puck to a scond location and using Sky Go at a second location?

None really when you think about it

Actually thinking further isnt a Puck basically a glorified Sky Go app pre bundled on a piece of hardware?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@panman0603 wrote:

Sky Go (which is effecitvely a Puck on your Phone/Tablet/PC) 

Go is a legacy standalone app based on an entirely different software stack to Stream, designed specifically for portability, and considerably less capable.  It's also a 'free' add-on to a Sky television bundle, not a subscription in itself.  

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

Sky go has its own user terms and conditions

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech

@panman0603 wrote:

what's the actual Difference between taking your Puck to a scond location and using Sky Go at a second location?

Go is specifically for that purpose, the T&C's of a puck specifically forbid it.

(Well, actually, the T&C's of the services running on the puck)

@Jayboy1990 @TimmyBGood 

Yes I'm aware that Sky Go is a "Legacy" app (is it really if it's still available to new subscribers though although that's a different question) with it's own T&Cs the point I'm making is that conceptually there is no difference between Sky Go and a Puck.

Both can physically be used from anywhere (it's only the Puck T&Cs that say no) to view your Sky TV service.

Long gone are the days where your set top box had too be connected to your phone line so it could call home to verify it was at your registered home address.

Footnote.

Given the statement 

"You’ll need a Sky Multiscreen or Sky Glass/Sky Stream Whole Home subscription, or you can pay the monthly cost to use it (Sky+ and Sky Q customers only)."

at https://www.sky.com/help/articles/what-is-sky-go-extra

Then I would not classify Sky Go as a "Legacy" App

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

I guess go isn't what it should be to sit alongside stream/glass. 

It hasn't changed since the days of it being built for Q. 

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech

@panman0603 wrote:

@Jayboy1990 @TimmyBGood 

the point I'm making is that conceptually there is no difference between Sky Go and a Puck.

It makes no difference to the conditions attached to Stream use that Sky also happens to have a much older streaming product (actually two, given NowTV is also Sky): that's a historic legacy of pre-Comcast times.

What's more significant is if consumers in 2023 automatically expect a 'puck-like' box to be portable based on their experience of apparently similar products such as Fire and Apple boxes.

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@panman0603  Sadly sky are so far behind the times now it's shocking, they are running a business model from 10 years ago, Times have changed they way people watch TV is different, people want their entertainment on demand whereever they are, these restrictions shouldn't be their at all now.

They charge an extreme premium for a service that's full of holes, shoddy hardware and isn't ready for 2023.   No wonder there revenue dropped by 15% and are losing customers.

@panman0603 wrote:

Then I would not classify Sky Go as a "Legacy" App

It's running on a (seriously dated) pre-Comcast software stack with zero integration into Glass/Stream (which are effectively Comcast products): that's why it's a 'legacy' product.

Also it's just not very good....

@techman9 wrote:

@panman0603  Sadly sky are so far behind the times now it's shocking, they are running a business model from 10 years ago, 

As I've mentioned a couple of times above, the relevant Stream T&C's exist largely to rule out a single Whole Home subscription being split between up to six households: that's a reasonable revenue protection measure.  

Whether an individual puck should be 'portable' is rather different, and there I do suspect Sky are behind the times.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion