Discussion topic: Can you choose between FTTC and FTTP?

This message was authored by SkyUser1024 This message was authored by: SkyUser1024

Can you choose between FTTC and FTTP?

I've been looking around different internet forums and ISP websites but haven't found an answer to this and I'm curious. 

Living in a rented property means we obviously have to get the landlords permission before any works are done to the house i.e installation of FTTP and ONT. It seems to me that none of the main ISPs I've looked at give you a choice between FTTC and FTTP , by this i mean that if FTTP is available in your area, then you can't opt to have FTTC in order to have a less invasive installation procedure. 

Am I correct in thinking that this is because the drive is now to slowly make FTTP the standard as and when it becomes available in different areas. I'm fairly certain the person that lived in the current property before me would've had fibre, but it would've been FTTC, I went with the same provider they were with, but have been scheduled an engineer visit for an FTTP/ONT installation. 

Also (more a comment rather than a question) I wish companies would give more detailed explanations of the work involved when taking certain products, I had to do a lot of digging to get a clear picture of what is involved with a FTTP/ONT install as it doesn't seem present on the Sky website. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Can you choose between FTTC and FTTP?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SkyUser1024 

New subscribers in an area will generally be put on fttp where it is available

Could you enter your full postal address and post the table and notes at the bottom after removing your own address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @SkyUser1024 

You are correct, when FTTP is available usually you'll be provisioned on that.

I suggest you talk to your landlord about it as they will need to have the work done at some point in the next few years anyway so may as well get it done. Usually the install isnt very invasive and will just require a single drill hole from exterior to interior. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
SkyUser1024
Topic Author
This message was authored by SkyUser1024 This message was authored by: SkyUser1024

SkyUser1024_0-1650367942381.png

Thanks for the quick response. Here's the details. 

I know that a stage 1 installation means the cables should already be accessible outside the house, so OpenReach should just need to splice them into a CSP at the front of the house then run it to the ONT that they will install in the house. 

I suppose my main query around this (which is kind of unrealted to this forum) is that what if a landlord for some reason says no.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@SkyUser1024 

The served by 2.5 plastic duct type 56 does maybe imply wayleave from the landlord if the duct doesn't lead up to the boundary of the property plus planning permission from local authority to dig up road

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@SkyUser1024 

Also if they are flats the sdu single dwelling unit should normally read mdu multiple dwelling unit where a openreach usually place an mdu drop box above each flat 

20220120_153610.jpg

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

Interesting, I hadn't considered that. There isn't a front garden or anything and the door (apart from a small boundary of no more than 1 foot) opens straight up onto the road. I guess I'll find out this Friday when the engineer turns up. 

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

This only part that might be tricky is playing the ONT near the existing master socket and running the cable to it from whereever it gets fed into the house. 

@SkyUser1024 

I would say the duct does lead out beyond the boundary. So just contact landlord to get approval. Should be non intrusive 🤞

@SkyUser1024 wrote:

This only part that might be tricky is playing the ONT near the existing master socket and running the cable to it from whereever it gets fed into the house. 

@SkyUser1024 

The ont can be placed up to 10 metres from where the cable enters the property and 3 feet from a mains socket

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

@SkyUser1024 

The ont can be placed up to 10 metres from where the cable enters the property and 3 feet from a mains socket

Is this 10m as the crow flies or 10m of cable? There is a single mains socket right next to the existing master socket, so I (and the landlord) is hoping it will go there. 

I'm sure the engineer will be able to have a look and we can have a discussion on the best course of action. 

@SkyUser1024 wrote:

@SkyUser1024 

Is this 10m as the crow flies or 10m of cable? There is a single mains socket right next to the existing master socket, so I (and the landlord) is hoping it will go there. 

I'm sure the engineer will be able to have a look and we can have a discussion on the best course of action. 

Ten metres of fibre optic 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk 

You got the Openreach link handy with that info? Was looking earlier this morning for it; in readiness for my install - my searching skills failed me 😞

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Skull+Treaty 

This one ?

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/fibre-broadband/installation-options

SkyUser1024
Topic Author

Do openreach prefer/tend to surface mount the cable that runs inside the house? I'm trying to determine pre-engineer visit whether it's viable to have the ONT in the same location as the existing master socket. 

I think I've found where our existing phoneline enters the property via an external wall, however there are no visible cables running through the house to where the master socket is located in the living. Between the front of the house and where the master socket is currently placed we don't have any uninteruppted (free of door ways) internal walls, so going around doorways etc, I think, will result in a greater than 10m cable run. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion