Discussion topic: Another Review : What Hifi

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

Another Review : What Hifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Quite a detailed review at https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sky-glass

It performs well given its limitations. Sky should be particularly pleased with the balanced picture performance, which avoids the temptation of trying to dazzle and takes a far more subtle approach that is better suited to its abilities. That said, the smeary motion is bothersome, and the sound, while generally very good, lacks the dynamic range to be really exciting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

tarbat
Topic Author

Re: Another Review : What Hifi

Also worth noting the review was on a later version of software than currently deployed to customers TVs.

It's worth pointing out that the Sky Glass TV's picture quality could change a little over time. Indeed, this review is based on software version QS001.16, which was applied to our sample during testing and which alters brightness and contrast when compared with the launch software. This update will be pushed out to customer sets soon, but don't expect it to make a vast difference to picture quality.

And the review recommends using the AUTO picture setting.

Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc

This message was authored by Urban+Splash This message was authored by: Urban+Splash

Zero credibility now. To give the picture a 4 is outrageous. Sponsored 

This message was authored by Joe-Bow This message was authored by: Joe-Bow

Yes, a very good, balanced, and comprehensive review.

This message was authored by Urban+Splash This message was authored by: Urban+Splash

Hahahahhahahahahahaha 

@Urban+Splash Thanks for that.  Care to explain?

tarbat
Topic Author

@Urban+Splash wrote:

Zero credibility now. To give the picture a 4 is outrageous. Sponsored 

What I saw of my neighbours Glass TV before she returned it was a good, natural looking picture in SDR.  Maybe not enough "punch" for some viewers, but in my opinion the SDR picture is pretty good.

It performs well given its limitations

This should say it all. An ambiguous statement. Why should it have limitations? Are customers expecting limitations? 

It's a budget panel for not budget price. Happy to call them out on this 

@Urban+Splash The numbers mean nothing in reality.

Reading and comprehending the reviewers remarks tend to give you more detailed information than just the number 4 in a summary.

Give people the credit for making up their own mind by actually reading the review rather than constantly imparting your own disappointment with Glass.

I did read the review. It's not accurate regarding picture quality. Simple as that. I can't image anyone can think the picture is acceptable when watching HDR 

@Urban+Splash And nowhere does it say it is.  In fact it says it performs best in SDR:

5BD7B1FA-A5F6-4102-B696-2E2DD3AD329A.jpeg

Then goes on to give some more accurate detail:

1A5F17DD-C81A-4523-8CA0-AA1647F016AA.jpegSo I'd say it's pretty balanced.

Also don't forget they have a different firmware with image updates.  It won't make the panel equivale to a £3k OLED, but until we see the improvements, this reviewer is in a better position than us to judge.

It's all just opinions. All valid. 

This message was authored by Jayboy1990 This message was authored by: Jayboy1990

It's frustrating that sky have issues reviewers with a future OS version to use as a review base. Unless it's in the wild and available they shouldn't be allowed to use these versions. Especially when sales are made off the back off these reviews and opinions expressed about features we don't have. 

——————————————————————————————————

*PLEASE if you have been helped 'like' the response. Been given an answer from a member PLEASE mark as the answer*
I help out where I can in the Sky Glass forum, maybe a superuser but not a sky employee.

Sky glass 55”Anthracite - Stand mounted - Ethernet

Virgin media broadband 350mbps
Sky mobile - iPad and iPhone 13 pro max
Plenty of Apple tech
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Urban+Splash of course they are but people reading them need to reflect on the experience and knowledge of the person expressing that opinion. I am not a fan of What Hifi myself but reading the whole review I think it is fair and does stress the fact they are judging it at its price point. You can of course get better TVs I am fortunate to own one, a LG OLED, but it cost almost double the price of the Glass and guess what it has a better picture what a surprise!.

I spent quite a bit of time viewing my own Glass TV in a variety of lighting conditions over the last few days and think the review reflects my own conclusion that the picture is a good compromise. Given the number of complaints that the picture lacks punch and is "too soft" in the forum maybe Sky are trying to hard to get the neutral image professionals favour over a retina burning one many customers want?

As @Jayboy1990 points out it would help if we had the same firmware as the reviewer. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

There shouldn't be any compromises though. There is a feeling of 'it's ok for the price point', but this simply isn't the case. Glass isn't 'cheap'. It's a premium price, going again serious competition. Appreciate OLED is a step up in price and quality, but glass is a budget panel. Look at the uniformity issues. Its acknowledged poor hdr performance. Not acceptable on a  £1000 tv. In my view people seem to put up with it because it's Sky. Of course that's up to you. However, given its limitations and quality issues, I can't see how what hifi can score it so highly. It's misleading. What hifi need to come clean on £ etc. because I don't believe it's impartial. Can't even see who wrote the 'review'. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion