Discussion topic: Why have I been paying £50 a month for Sky Box Sets for the last year and a half?

This message was authored by aytac This message was authored by: aytac

Why have I been paying £50 a month for Sky Box Sets for the last year and a half?

After having been a Sky customer for 14 years (TV, broadband, landline), I decided to switch to Virgin Media around a year and a half ago. I know this is remiss of me but I have only just now noticed that I have been paying Sky £50 a month since then for Sky Box Sets. I am of a certain vintage and forgetful.

Here's my latest bill:

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 11.39.56.png

As you can see I no longer have a TV subscription but I'm still being charged for Sky Box Sets. Any ideas why this has been happening? This doesn't seem right. As far as I remember I was never explicilty told that I would still be charged monthly for a Sky package after cancelleation of my membership.

I will of course phone Sky and talk to them directly but I wanted to enquire here first; especially about whether there are any chances of getting a refund for this unused and unwated service?

Kind regards,

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Why have I been paying £50 a month for Sky Box Sets for the last year and a half?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

When you called Sky to give them your 31 days notice to cancel did you get any email acknowledgement of the cancellation because it looks like the cancellation wasn't processed hence you still being charged. You will need to call them again about this so if you know of the date you called them to cancel it would be helpful if you mentioned this to them when you do call them up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
aytac
Topic Author

Re: Why have I been paying £50 a month for Sky Box Sets for the last year and a half?

Hi @caesarome, thanks for the prompt rely, much appreciated.

Here's the cancellation acknowledgement e-mail:

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 12.12.53.png

So it does seem that everything was in order. The strange thing is that this e-mail only mentions Sky Bradband and Talk but on my latest bill HD Basic and Sky+ Subscription are both 0£ so something on the TV side was at least processed correctly. It seems there definitely has been some kind of mixup or processing error.

Kind regards,

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

I'm not sure what HD Basic is but a Sky+ subscription is for the recording capabilities so there would be no charge for this anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
aytac
Topic Author

I seem to remember that HD Basic is the name of the minimum required TV package and I then purchased Sky Box Sets as an additional package on top of the minimum package. It seems that the minimum package was cancelled properly but the Sky Box Sets additional package was left to run for some reason.

It's probably best that I phone Sky and talk to them directly. Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@aytac box sets, as an add-on would not be costing £49 per month.

The Box Sets package is a legacy viewing package which gives you access to all the non-premium channels (i.e. not Cinema or Sport) , together with box sets On Demand,.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@aytac 

As @Mark39 indicates, that would be far too much to pay for Box Sets under any circumstances.

From memory, Box Sets was more like £5 a month, and then Ultimate TV (Box Sets plus Netflix Basic) was £12.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion