Discussion topic: Unauthorised payment take on Saturday night

This message was authored by Tomt87 This message was authored by: Tomt87

Unauthorised payment take on Saturday night

I've just had a notification from my barlcays app that sky have taken a bill payment. I do not have a direct debit set up nor have I received a notification or communication from sky about a due bill. My bill date is the 17th as is my payday but as this is a Saturday I have not been paid and will not get paid until Monday. I assumed that payment would be due today but under no terms have I authorised the payment. The payment they have taken has left me with £0 In my bank until Monday morning. I am a vulnerable person with a few mental health issues. 
why have they taken a payment that I did not authorise? 

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Unauthorised payment take on Saturday night

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Are you sure the payment was actually taken on the 17th and not just reserved for Sky as it is unusual for a payment to be taken at the weekend. I don't know how you usually pay your bill as they haven't said but if you have provided these details to Sky sometime in the past then they are within their rights to take it from you via a direct debit,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Tomt87 Sky can't take a payment unless you've given them your details. And if you've given them your details, you've authorised them to use them to take payment.

This message was authored by vonners This message was authored by: vonners

This happened to me also.  I have not had a direct payment on my account for a while now and make payments by card.  Today I notice a direct debit taken - of which I did not authorise. 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@vonners  Please read the replies above you have given them authority top take by card by adding your card details.

I would familiarise yourself with the T & C's regarding payments also.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

They didn't take from the card, they reinstated a cancelled direct debit

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

As stated above by @GD1 they are within their rights to do this as the terms and conditions does state that we all must have a payment method setup on our accounts so they payment can be taken automatically each month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@caesarome Sky have no right to reinstate a cancelled direct debit to take payments , no company does without gaining permission of the bank account holder.

The only right they have is to use a credit or debit card where arrangements have been made using the continuous payment authority.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

@daveNOS I would like to update this thread and thank you - you were right.  I made a formal complaint and sky listened back to my phone call and confirmed I was not informed my Direct Debit was to be reinstated.  They offered to pay charges incurred due to their error and a small credit on my account.  

For those that said it was ok for sky to take money and reinstate a DD You were wrong and maybe you should familiarise yourself with the T&Cs before you dish out advice. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion