Discussion topic: Still being billed by previous provider after switch

This message was authored by SamF1923 This message was authored by: SamF1923

Still being billed by previous provider after switch

Hello, Has anyone else had their previous broadband provider (not sure if I can mention who on here) still billing them. They told me it is because Sky didn't inform them about the switch (as they are supposed to do) wondered how true this is? Any experience of the dance thing would be very helpful. Many thanks

All Replies

SamF1923
Topic Author

Re: Still being billed by previous provider after switch

Sorry autocorrect! Dance should be *Same*
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SamF1923 

Sky should notify the other isp they are taking over if the other provider uses the Openreach infrastructure, otherwise you have to cancel direct with them (eg- Virgin Media). 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
SamF1923
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 Thankyou, that's what I thought. They're obviously trying to fob me off by the sounds of it. Thankyou again.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@SamF1923  Who is your previous provider? as advised by @Daniel0210  there are some exceptions to this.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

SamF1923
Topic Author

Hi, @GD1 

Previous provider was BT.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@SamF1923  In that case BT would have received notification for the line takeover from Sky.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@SamF1923  Did you only transfer broadband services from bt?

the reason I ask is because the switch service doesn't apply to any other service eg tv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
SamF1923
Topic Author

Hi @SKY1992bf 

Yeah just my broadband with BT. Thankyou for your help.

This message was authored by KPhoenix33 This message was authored by: KPhoenix33

I recently signed up to Full Fibre & TV, but Sky did not notify my previous provider, and I continued to be billed. I got an email from Sky, offering an account credit, which you had to click a link to "Claim" it. 

Apparently, it was a system error, where previous providers were not notified.
I have waited over the stated 72hrs and still no credits on my account.

Tried to get help, but looks like I need to phone them.

Maybe you should have been offered the credit, via an  email? 

SamF1923
Topic Author

Thank you, unfortunately the credit is something I too am waiting for but the customer service has been absolutely disgusting. I've had nothing but problems with Sky since I signed up and my previous provider has billed me 3 times and the credit Sky is offering isn't going to cover my loss. I've tried to explain this to them but they are refusing to help as I haven't received any Early Termination Charges (ETCs) from my previous provider, I've said till I'm blue in the face that because of the error I'm hugely out of pocket which the credit will not cover. They don't care and I will be terminating my contract with them, they are awful! I recommend you do the same.

This message was authored by IK2 This message was authored by: IK2

Hi,

The same happened to me, I went from TalkTalk to Sky, and I recently found out that I was still being billed by TalkTalk, after inquiring with Sky, at first I was sent a link for compensation which did not work, after contacting them again, I was passed from one person to another, spent over an hour on the phone to be offered a £10 Tesco voucher as a good gesture, simply because it was a new line which should of made me "Assume" that I should have called TalkTalk to cancel the service with them.

Can someone advise me if I can terminate the contract with Sky without being charged an early cancellation fee I can't see myself dealing with them anymore

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@IK2 wrote:

Can someone advise me if I can terminate the contract with Sky without being charged an early cancellation fee I can't see myself dealing with them anymore

You would have to ask Sky but they are within their rights to not let you cancel and if they do let you out of your contract you would probably be asked to pay the remaining months off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by IK2 This message was authored by: IK2

Can someone please indicate the section stating that a client must personally contact their previous provider to cancel services? If Sky fails to notify the current provider, leading to the customer being billed, it constitutes a breach of contract.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@IK2 wrote:

Can someone please indicate the section stating that a client must personally contact their previous provider to cancel services? If Sky fails to notify the current provider, leading to the customer being billed, it constitutes a breach of contract.

You should find your contract in the Messages section of your online account.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion