Discussion topic: Sky's Arrogance at only allowing you to talk to someone after you have paid

This message was authored by PN_22 This message was authored by: PN_22

Sky's Arrogance at only allowing you to talk to someone after you have paid

I recently moved home - After I completed the move, I was not able to talk to anyone until I had paid what Sky said was outstanding. Once I paid, I could talk to every person and their dog.  Sky was very quick to send in a engineer to connect me to the TV packages, but I could not get any joy with Broadband - When I called back to cancel certain parts of my TV package, it was a big issue. As I still had not heard back from anyone in Broadband, I cancelled my new application to go elsewhere. The I received a notice saying my account is in arrears, and all of a sudden it is £23.00 more than any previous months. Now when I try the Call Centre, all I get is the recorded message about my account being in arrears. The arrogance of Sky and how this monopoly treats people is disgusting.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Sky's Arrogance at only allowing you to talk to someone after you have paid

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@PN_22 wrote:

So you would go to a shop and pay for groceries, and then walk out without your groceries, and be happy with that. 

@PN_22 

That is totally different as you'd be at the store and be able to talk to staff. As others have said you need to pay what (Sky believe) is owed in full. If your payment is two or more weeks overdue you will have to pay the next bill as well. Until you do this any calls to Sky will only prompt you to make your payment.

Once your full payment has cleared and is in Sky’s account you should be able to speak to an agent. Also, any payment you make over a weekend or on a Bank Holiday won’t be processed until the following week as banks are closed.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

It's Sky's policy not to talk to you if you're in breach of contract. Presumably it works for them.

Sky doesn't have a monopoly. There are other providers. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

As you appear not to be aware of being behind with your payments what does your online Sky bill show as that will show what you have paid and what you owe.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
PN_22
Topic Author

I am out of contract, so not in breach. It is also very difficult to talk to someone when you can't get through on the phone.  With Sky, it is "We will be very nice when we have your money, but if for any reason you don't give us your money, we don't give a toss" Life is not linear, but everything is about dealing with issues on Skys terms.

@PN_22 wrote:

I am out of contract, so not in breach. 

You may have completed your discounted minimum term, but you have a contract with Sky all the while you're subscribing to their services. Not paying your Sky bill puts you in breach.

PN_22
Topic Author

So what if I am moving house. Not sure what facilities I will have when I find a place. May need to change my package when I do eventually find somewhere. Move in. Can't talk to Sky until I pay. Pay my account. Sky not able to supply Broadband in the area, and 2 weeks later get a new payment demand for an increased amount, and for Broadband which they can't supply. Is that reasonable. Not a damn.

Just pay the outstanding bill. Problem solved.

PN_22
Topic Author

So pay for products I'm not receiving. So you would go to a shop and pay for groceries, and then walk out without your groceries, and be happy with that. (Removed)

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

Sky will, of course, refund any overpayment of your subscription, but you'll struggle to get things put right until you pay what's outstanding. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@PN_22 wrote:

So you would go to a shop and pay for groceries, and then walk out without your groceries, and be happy with that. 

@PN_22 

That is totally different as you'd be at the store and be able to talk to staff. As others have said you need to pay what (Sky believe) is owed in full. If your payment is two or more weeks overdue you will have to pay the next bill as well. Until you do this any calls to Sky will only prompt you to make your payment.

Once your full payment has cleared and is in Sky’s account you should be able to speak to an agent. Also, any payment you make over a weekend or on a Bank Holiday won’t be processed until the following week as banks are closed.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PN_22 wrote:

how this monopoly treats people

Sky certainly does not have a monopoly as an ISP: BT (which also trades as EE and Plusnet) is considerably more than twice the size in terms of number of subscribers.

Satellite television is rather different: that appears to be a 'natural monopoly' in the sense that there just wasn't ever a big enough market in the UK for more than a single provider, hence British Satellite Broadcasting and Sky becoming one company 35 years ago with no other competitor ever emerging.

A natural monopoly is a monopoly in an industry in which high infrastructural costs and other barriers to entry relative to the size of the market give the largest supplier in an industry, often the first supplier in a market, an overwhelming advantage over potential competitors.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@PN_22 wrote:

I am out of contract

...which is why I don't like this colloquial term.

You are always bound by terms and conditions (a contract) but the phrase 'in contract' is used to indicate when you have a minimum term and are getting discounts.  (Or likewise 'out of contract' means you aren't getting discounts)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion