Discussion topic: Problem with closing account

This message was authored by Joanwalmsley This message was authored by: Joanwalmsley

Problem with closing account

I have been trying for some time to close my TV account. Sky makes it as difficult as possible! In the end I stopped my direct debit as it was the only weapon I had. Yesterday I had a an email threatening to ‘recover’ £34.13 via a debt collection agency. This would affect my credit rating.
Yesterday and today I have had a very long online ‘chat’ to two of your operatives who have done everything they can to stall, get me to agree to choose an offer and generally to do anything but close my account. Finally this morning I was given two phone numbers. I wanted to pay the arrears and have my account closed. However the only option I was given on both automated systems was to set up a new direct debit. I wanted just to pay off the amount owing but both systems told me that, if I give my card details, they will be used to take my monthly payments. I do not want that. Please close my account and give me a means of paying off the amount owing WITHOUT using Sky the information to set up another direct debit.
Joan Walmsley

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Problem with closing account

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Joanwalmsley 
You’re not talking to Sky Customer Services on here. This is a customer based forum where customers try to help other customers.

Youve gone about this all wrong and by cancellation of your direct debit have now found yourself in a worse position. You need to pay what Sky say you owe including any non payment fees and set up a new continuous payment method. Then you can talk to Sky and discuss cancelling your subscription if you're not in a minimum term discounted deal.

To cancel all your TV subscription, if you're out of contract you’ll need to give Sky the required 31 days notice. The latest T’s and C’s explicitly state you can’t cancel when still in a minimum term deal unless Sky agree. If they agree you’ll have to pay the remainder of your discounted term.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@Joanwalmsley 
You’re not talking to Sky Customer Services on here. This is a customer based forum where customers try to help other customers.

Youve gone about this all wrong and by cancellation of your direct debit have now found yourself in a worse position. You need to pay what Sky say you owe including any non payment fees and set up a new continuous payment method. Then you can talk to Sky and discuss cancelling your subscription if you're not in a minimum term discounted deal.

To cancel all your TV subscription, if you're out of contract you’ll need to give Sky the required 31 days notice. The latest T’s and C’s explicitly state you can’t cancel when still in a minimum term deal unless Sky agree. If they agree you’ll have to pay the remainder of your discounted term.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Joanwalmsley wrote:

I stopped my direct debit as it was the only weapon I had.

Realistically you'll have to resurrect the DD or give card details.

Until you actually cancel your contract you are required to pay.  If you account becomes restricted (sounds like it is?) then you cannot easily discuss with Sky until the balance is cleared.

Also, you cannot cancel whilst in debt.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Joanwalmsley
Topic Author
This message was authored by Joanwalmsley This message was authored by: Joanwalmsley

Thank you

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion