Discussion topic: New customer better deals

This message was authored by Robert288 This message was authored by: Robert288

New customer better deals

I just watched an advert. A brand new customer can get a sky glass basic package exactly same as I have for nearly 10 pounds a month cheaper fixed for 18 months.

As an existing customer 22 years I pay more!!!  New customer get cheaper loyal pay more so so wrong. My contract ends in April so me my glass mobiles Internet will leave

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: New customer better deals

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Robert288 

That was car/home insurance and didn't impact TV subscriptions. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Robert288 

The onus is on the customer to contact Sky and negotiate an acceptable discount. New customer deals won't be fixed but their discount will be. They will be subject to the annual price increase (April in the UK) the same as you. 

Sky customer since 2001
Robert288
Topic Author

I fully aware the onus is on the customer. That's why I called them and asked. I was told discount is for the new customer not existing. My argument is why are loyal customers paying more than new!!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Robert288 wrote:

I fully aware the onus is on the customer. That's why I called them and asked. I was told discount is for the new customer not existing. My argument is why are loyal customers paying more than new!!

Presumably because Sky know, from their years of experience, that it takes more to attract new customers to switch to them than it does to incentivise existing customers to stay with them. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Robert288 wrote:

I was told discount is for the new customer not existing. 

@Robert288 

If your current discount is ending or has ended you are still likely to get another discount but not to the degree of that of a new customer. At the end of the day Sky aren't obliged to offer anyone a discount. So if you don't get an offer that's acceptable you need to be prepared to cancel. 

Sky customer since 2001
Robert288
Topic Author

In 2022 the new fsa guidelines came in and said that home and car insurance.  That  new customers should not be give more discount than existing. This was deemed as illegal as it proved loyal customers were subsequently paying for the company to attract new customer. We all should be treated the same.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@Robert288 

That was car/home insurance and didn't impact TV subscriptions. 

Sky customer since 2001
Robert288
Topic Author

Can I ask simple question do you think it is correct process morally to charge one price for a product to one customer. The charge a higher price to another customer for the same product? Are you willing and happy to pay more?

I don't consider it a moral issue. All customers were once new to Sky and were offered a new customer discount at that time. Sky isn't mandatory so it's always possible to switch as a new customer to another provider, if you don't think Sky's price to be acceptable

Robert288
Topic Author

I have a contract until April so I just can't leave. But I accept you are sky biased and accept that would happily  pay more for the same product.  

@Robert288 wrote:

I have a contract until April so I just can't leave. But I accept you are sky biased and accept that would happily  pay more for the same product.  

Nope, not biased. Nor would I pay more than I thought represented value for money for my Sky products or any other non-mandatory service.

I'm not interested in what other people pay as it's not relevant to me.

My approach would be the same for any provider.

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@Robert288 wrote:

@Robert288 Having a different opinion to you doesn't make someone biased towards a company, it's amazing how many times that is used when someone here doesn't get 100% agreement with their statement.

It would be nice if every customer was able to get the same price for services, but it's not going to happen, Sky are not going to change what is clearly a very successful business model that favours the business and shareholders. 

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
Robert288
Topic Author

Have good day

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

FWIW I negotiated a price better than a new customer...  Now where does that leave me morally?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

@PandJ2020  I will be amazed if the OP replies to you, you don't share their need to have an echo chamber.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion