Discussion topic: In-contract Discount Reduced

This message was authored by nick1403 This message was authored by: nick1403

In-contract Discount Reduced

I agreed a new 18-month contract last August and as a result have a number of products,  including Sky Sports, showing as in contract until Feb 2025. Today I got my price increase email, and can also see the changes in my account, and not only have the headline prices increased as per the T&Cs, but the in contract discount for Sky Sports has been reduced by £2. Surely Sky can't do this? They agreed to give me a fixed discount on the standard price in return to committing to a new 18 month contract. 

All Replies

This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

Re: In-contract Discount Reduced

Unfortunately unless the contract shows it is a fixed price which you agreed to then Sky can change the package cost in line with their annual price increase. This is under the T & C. 
You do have the option to phone & cancel the package with no penalty I believe due to the rise or even renegotiate the contract.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@twilight+princess 
You do have the option to phone & cancel the package with no penalty I believe due to the rise or even renegotiate the contract.

@twilight+princess 

Leaving penalty free only applies to Broadband/Talk and that's only within 30 days of receiving the email/letter outlining the increases. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

@Daniel0210 Thanks.

Virginia.
Diamond Sky VIP member.
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@nick1403 wrote:

I agreed a new 18-month contract last August and as a result have a number of products,  including Sky Sports, showing as in contract until Feb 2025. Today I got my price increase email, and can also see the changes in my account, and not only have the headline prices increased as per the T&Cs, but the in contract discount for Sky Sports has been reduced by £2. Surely Sky can't do this? They agreed to give me a fixed discount on the standard price in return to committing to a new 18 month contract. 

I'd suggest querying it with Sky.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@nick1403 wrote:

@nick1403 This appears to have happened to everyone with an in contract discount for Sky Sports.

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by brianholt This message was authored by: brianholt

@nick1403 speak to sky and if necessary raise a complaint. Base prices can change but discounts should be fixed if they specify a time period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like you I am a fellow customer trying to help so please provide as much info as possible
Sky Q : Sky Gigafast : Sky Talk Anytime : Panasonic JZ2000 OLED
This message was authored by casjen1 This message was authored by: casjen1

Yes this is a disgraceful tactic by SKY.. Announcing a percentage price rise and then everybody who has an in contract sports discount reducing it by £2 with no annoucement thereby making the percentage bill increase much higher. This is supposed to be for the full lenght of the contract and is not part of the price of the package that is affected by price rises.. It should be reinstated straight away or at least the relevant watchdog should query it and demand an answer from SKY. A very poor way for a company to treat its customers.

I might add that I complained and after an endless chat managed to get a  credit added to account to cover the remaining lenght of the contract.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@casjen1 wrote:

I might add that I complained and after an endless chat managed to get a  credit added to account to cover the remaining lenght of the contract.

I'm watching mine like a hawk... My price rise hasn't been processed yet but if they do reduce the in-contract discount then I'll be on to them!

I would expect it's some form of account issue as opposed to deliberately reducing negotiated discounts - but we'll see...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
nick1403
Topic Author
This message was authored by nick1403 This message was authored by: nick1403

Not sure if it's an account issue. I can see the reduction of the discount in My Sky and the email has a note to the effect that the increase at the end of the contract will be £2 less than it would otherwise have been so it is a deliberate change. 

Thanks for all the replies, I'll see what Sky say. 

This message was authored by casjen1 This message was authored by: casjen1

Just to say the credit was paid as a lump sum off this months bill rather than the £2 a month credit ( to offset the sports discount lowering) they originally said they would do.

This message was authored by Bruce+S+G This message was authored by: Bruce+S+G

My sky sports discount was also reduced by £2, I raised a complaint and sky reinstated the correct agreed discount without the £2 reduction from April 24

This message was authored by Falco70 This message was authored by: Falco70

Interesting thread. I too have had my discount changed by £2 per month. I've complained to Sky sevearl time over the last few days and today I've managed to message with an advisor through X. They haven't been able to put the discount back to £7 but they have added discounts to other items on my bill. Instead of paying £9 more per month from April I will now be paying £5 more. I still feel mislead over the original discount but at least they have sorted something for my inconvenience. I suggest perseverance 😊

This message was authored by Cardman This message was authored by: Cardman

Yes, a disgusting way to treat long standing customers.  Complained to Dana Strong's (Sky CEO) Department and whilst the discount hasn't been reinstated I have been given a lump sum credit to cover the remaining term of my contract.  Initially I was told it was a system 'glitch' but after my call with them this afternoon it is Sky reducing the in contact discount midterm which the girl said was in the T&C's.  I have looked in the T&C's but can't find any details.  Makes the negotiation of an 18 month contract worthless! Would be interesting to see this policy tested in a court of law.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion