Discussion topic: How to cancel a few months after auto-renewal?

This message was authored by Foobrother This message was authored by: Foobrother

How to cancel a few months after auto-renewal?

Hi all,

I'm in a tricky situation.

I'm planning to move home into a flat where we already have an internet contract. So my plan is to cancel my current contract when I'll move (within the next 6 months).

However I've just received an email from Sky saying my contract is going to be renewed in September for another 24 months: "New 24 months minimum term applies".

So if I terminate my contract after 4 months, I'll have to pay an early termination fee which seems to be ~£14 per month in my case (I've Unlimited Broadband + Talk). Which means £14*20. That's £280 in total?!! I must be wrong?!

Could someone confirm if that's what will happen in my case?
What are my options to avoid paying a crazy cancellation fee?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS Answer

Re: How to cancel a few months after auto-renewal?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Foobrother The only way to avoid paying the early termination fee is to call Sky and tell them you do not wish to renew in September and you want to remain on a month to month contract, that way you will be free to cancel penalty free by giving the required notice, if you allow the automatic renewal to happen you will have to pay the early termination fee of £280 when you cancel.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Foobrother  No contract can be unilaterally extended by sky without the customer's consent 

if you agree to the extension, you will be liable for early termination charges 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Foobrother
Topic Author
This message was authored by Foobrother This message was authored by: Foobrother

Well I would agree to extend for 6 months only not 24!

And I would like to keep internet for the coming 6 months. But it sounds like my only option is to cancel and move to another provider that provides 6 months contract or monthly contract?!

@Foobrother  If you're out of contract on your existing product then you can continue with it by paying the out of contract price for six months then cancel penalty free 

Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

Foobrother
Topic Author

If you read my initial post I'm explaining that it's exactly my problem. I don't want to pay a penality for the remaining 20 (or 18) months of my contract. 

Or did I misunderstood and it's just a one of £14 fee?!

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS Answer

@Foobrother The only way to avoid paying the early termination fee is to call Sky and tell them you do not wish to renew in September and you want to remain on a month to month contract, that way you will be free to cancel penalty free by giving the required notice, if you allow the automatic renewal to happen you will have to pay the early termination fee of £280 when you cancel.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
Foobrother
Topic Author

Thanks for the confirmation and possible solution.

I guess I'll try that. And if I don't get satisfaction I'll just cancel in September and find another provider in the interim.

@Foobrother  when your existing minimum term expires your service will continue on a rolling monthly contract at a higher price until you cancel, unless you take up the renewal offer 

if you intend to cancel within six months you are better off moving over to the monthly contract at a higher price than taking the 24 month option 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Foobrother wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation and possible solution.

I guess I'll try that. And if I don't get satisfaction I'll just cancel in September and find another provider in the interim.

Are you saying that you've already agreed a new 2 year discounted deal for your broadband with Sky? They don't "auto renew" anything, you'll merely come to the end of your discounted deal and pay full price on a rolling monthly basis. That won't be cheap but at least you'll just have 14 days (I think) notice to cancel.

Foobrother
Topic Author

No, my discounted price ends in September. And I'll indeed be charged full price from the 1st of October.

I think I now understand what is going to happening. The email I received is only saying that if I accept a new discounted offer (which is barely cheaper than full price) I will be renewing for another 24 months.

So my guess is that, if I don't accept it or select it, the only thing happening will be that I'll start paying full price but I will be able to leave at any time without having to pay for early termination since I already passed the minimum term of my current contract?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Foobrother wrote:

but I will be able to leave at any time without having to pay for early termination since I already passed the minimum term of my current contract?

You will move to a rolling contract meaning you can give the required notice to leave so 31 days for TV and 14 days for broadband/talk without any early termination charges.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion