Discussion topic: Cancelled Service - apparent delay in refunding

This message was authored by Phil1969 This message was authored by: Phil1969

Cancelled Service - apparent delay in refunding

I've cancelled my broadband and talk contract well in advance of the notice period. Services will stop on 22nd April, but today I've had a full bill to 12th May. I've queried this but been told that I have to pay for the full period and then I'll be refunded!! Reading on here it seems any refund will take a minimum of six weeks and I'm not confident that if leave the direct debit active I won't be charged again. 

Does anyone have any experience of how it works in practice? 

I have spoken to Sky on the phone who simply say it is an automated process? 

Am I better off just cancelling the direct debit and seeing what happens?

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Cancelled Service - apparent delay in refunding

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Phil1969 

Future bills won't be updated until after your last day of connection on 12 April. Refunds do normally take 6 weeks but once any overpayment is showing as a credit on your Sky account post back on this thread and we can get you some help in being reimbursed in 3-5 working days. 

If you cancel your DD after 12 April Sky would have to raise a cheque to be posted to you. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Phil1969 wrote:

I've cancelled my broadband and talk contract well in advance of the notice period. Services will stop on 22nd April, but today I've had a full bill to 12th May. I've queried this but been told that I have to pay for the full period and then I'll be refunded!!

That's correct.

Reading on here it seems any refund will take a minimum of six weeks and I'm not confident that if leave the direct debit active I won't be charged again. 
Up to 6 weeks for an automated refund. Within 5 days if you request a manual refund once the credit appears on your account. (We can help you arrange it)

Does anyone have any experience of how it works in practice? 

I have spoken to Sky on the phone who simply say it is an automated process? 
It is

Am I better off just cancelling the direct debit and seeing what happens?

No, Sky will pursue you for the unpaid bill if you do that. Again, it's an automated process.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Phil1969  Do not cancel the direct debit, that's the worst thing you can do 

Sky are correct about billing, bills are generated 14 days before payment due date and continue as normal right up to the date of termination 

any bill generated during your notice period must be paid in full with the corresponding credit for days beyond termination date added to what would have been your next bill 

when the credit is applied to your account we can ask the messaging team to contact you via the forum to process the refund but the direct debit needs to be active to process it 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
Phil1969
Topic Author

Thanks for the replies. 

I'm leaving it as advised and will see what happens. 

I've never experienced a company charging me for a service past a contractually agreed date and then saying they will refund me any overpayment! It seems to me a strange business model!

I'm also amazed that when I said I wished to complain I was told that a complaint would be logged and that it would then be closed at the end of my call as 'there was nothing they could do'. The advisor didn't have a clue as to the fact that Sky's own Complaints policy says the complete opposite and that any complaint would be investigated and responded to. I'll await to see what happens with that.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Phil1969 wrote:

I'm also amazed that when I said I wished to complain I was told that a complaint would be logged and that it would then be closed at the end of my call as 'there was nothing they could do'. The advisor didn't have a clue as to the fact that Sky's own Complaints policy says the complete opposite and that any complaint would be investigated and responded to. I'll await to see what happens with that.

There wouldn't be anything to investigate. It's Sky's standard procedure.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Phil1969 wrote:

I've never experienced a company charging me for a service past a contractually agreed date and then saying they will refund me any overpayment! It seems to me a strange business model!

Its been fairly commonish in the telecomms industry where payment is typically in a month in advance. I recall particularly for past mobile phone contracts being in credit when i've switched provider and having to have that refunded.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Phil1969
Topic Author

I have my final bill now, with a credit, can someone help witb the messaging team contacting me to sort the refund. TIA.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Phil1969 

To see if they can help you I’ve escalated your post to Sky and the Messaging Team should contact you tomorrow. 

You need to watch out for a post from one of the team inviting you to a private chat and then you should see a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. You’ll have 48 hours to click on it and start the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to a chat reply within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky aren’t instant so you’ll need to check the chat thread fairly regularly.

This link explains what happens.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @Phil1969  an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Phil1969
Topic Author

So this couldn't be finally sorted during my last conversation with a sky employee, so would someone escalting this for me for hopefully one last time, TIA. 

@Phil1969 wrote:

So this couldn't be finally sorted during my last conversation with a sky employee, so would someone escalting this for me for hopefully one last time, TIA. 

@Phil1969 

Why couldn't this be resolved via the Messaging Team last time? Knowing that will determine whether it's appropriate to escalate it again or whether you'd be better off ringing. 

Sky customer since 2001
Phil1969
Topic Author

I was advised that I could ask for a refund when the credit was applied to the account on 22/4, which I did, but the sky employee said I had to wait until the actual bill was generated on 29/4. I've been told that the refund should be in my bank account today (my normal direct debit date), but it isn't. 

@Phil1969 

It is only 1030am so if you haven't been reimbursed by tomorrow morning post on here and we can escalate it again if necessary. 

Sky customer since 2001

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion