Discussion topic: Broadband price increase despite never reaching guaranteed minimum speed?!

This message was authored by NH1 This message was authored by: NH1

Broadband price increase despite never reaching guaranteed minimum speed?!

I received a letter last month to say that my broadband Superfast was increasing by £3.50, but this seems absolutely ridiculous to me that sky would even do this as I never get anywhere near to my minimum guaranteed speed! I have had engineers out and changed the equipment, but there is nothing I can do. So I'm being told to pay more money for a service I am not being provided. Tried to call  sky, and I got through to two agents who could barely speak English, and finally a guy who seemed like he was doing the job whilst playing on his Xbox he was that rude and disinterested! He even said to me "it seems like you've got a good deal to me". I had to hang up in the end.

what can I do? Phoning is impossible, it's actually worse than Virgin Media, which is saying something. The level of customer service has dropped dramatically over the past 2 or 3 years - I previously stayed with sky just because the service was so much better than Virgin, but now I would say it is on a par.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Broadband price increase despite never reaching guaranteed minimum speed?!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@NH1 

If you received the letter you mentioned less than 30 days ago you can cancel your Broadband subscription penalty free. This does not apply to TV subscriptions. There may be a phone number within the letter.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
NH1
Topic Author
This message was authored by NH1 This message was authored by: NH1

thank you Daniel. I would rather just pay a fair price for the poor level of service I am being provided, as I live in a rural location and I don't have any other option really.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@NH1 

Unfortunately there's no guarantee moving to another isp using the Openreach infrastructure will be any better.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@NH1 wrote:

as I never get anywhere near to my minimum guaranteed speed!

Not a solution - but are you aware of this if it applies? https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-fibre-speed-guarantee

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@NH1 if Sky are physically not able to provide the speed they guaranteed, they'll offer you a penalty-free escape from your contract. They're unlikely to offer you a price reduction.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@NH1 

Note that the only pricing difference is typically between 'Superfast 35' and 'Superfast' because those are 40/10 and 80/20 wholesale services respectively.  No ISP on the Openreach network can charge a subscription based on actual delivered speed because their own costs are the same whether FTTC over a particular length of Openreach copper delivers 40Mbs or 4Mbs.

The same principle applies if you are unlucky enough only to have ADSL: a short 24Mbs wholesale circuit has the same cost as one running several kilometres from the exchange and delivering 2Mbs.

Weirdly, on current pricing Superfast (80/20) can be cheaper then Superfast 35 (40/10) or ADSL (24/1.4)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion