Discussion topic: Account retrieval for customer with almost no details wishing to cancel subscription

This message was authored by alwaystouchout This message was authored by: alwaystouchout

Account retrieval for customer with almost no details wishing to cancel subscription

Hi, a relative has tried to cancel his subscription by simply cancelling the direct debit. He has literally no information about his account (email/username/password) etc - it's the same for all accounts/usernameds across everything and it's infuriating.. he's above a certain age and extremely forgetful... I've now been landed with the task of trying to sort this out with literally no account info before he's getting chased for late payment.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to retrieving his account information and getting this subscription properly cancelled. I have no account info other than his name and address and I'm fairly sure he doesn't have any bills or anything with his account/customer number on. There must be some way to retrive account information especially as there wont be a payment on 16th and Sky is clearly gonna have to sort this out one way or another. Just trying to get it sorted before it causes more problems and confusion for him. Thanks.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Account retrieval for customer with almost no details wishing to cancel subscription

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The first things he/you needs to do is to reinstate the direct debit because without this in place he will be unable to cancel the account.

If he pays by direct debit then the reference number on it might be the Sky account number so if it is, or his has some letters that Sky have sent him then you can go about setting up a Sky ID to access his account which in turn will allow you to add back his direct debit details before he can then call Sky to put in his cancellation request;

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Account retrieval for customer with almost no details wishing to cancel subscription

@alwaystouchout I don't think you (actually he) need his account information to cancel. The simplest solution is for him to call and tell Sky that he wants to cancel. They'll check his identity from information they hold about him (from what you've said, that may be a challenge if he's forgetful) such as the obvious name, address, possibly how long he's been with Sky, what he currently subscribes to and when he last made a payment.

Fro obvious security reasons Sky won't talk to you unless authorised by him, so he'll need to make the call and once identified pass the phone to you. Alternatively you could try the Accessibility team and explain the circumstances to them and see if they can help.

However, he will need to reinstate his direct debit. If he doesn't pay on 16th, it will create more problems with contact.

alwaystouchout
Topic Author
This message was authored by alwaystouchout This message was authored by: alwaystouchout

Thanks for the response. Is it possible to cancel his subscription via the SkyID account once/if I can get his account details sorted?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

You can find contact options for cancellation via the 'still need help' button at the bottom of the page here: https://www.sky.com/help/home/your-account/my-account-and-subscription/cancelling/cancel-my-subscrip...

They all require direct interaction directly with Sky at some point, I'm afraid, in order to verify the accountholder's identity.

alwaystouchout
Topic Author

Thanks for the response @Mark39 he said he called and they asked him for account details which he clearly didn't have and so hung up, I can't say for sure whether they asked him for an alternate method to validate his ID. Explaining things face to face is hard enough, over the phone is near to impossible sometimes and unfortunately I live in a different part of the country so trying to keep things simple without overcomplicating it for him. Is it possible to get a SkyID account for him if I can maybe find an account number from an old piece of correspondence? Is there anytging else I would need and is it possible to reinstate direct debit and cancel subscription via the SkyID account? Thanks,

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion