Help
Help

White Sky+ Box & Standard Digibox
Occasional Visitor
Jackie50
Accepted Solution

No sky for 2 days, only red light!!!!

Please help, for the last 2 days I have been unable to watch sky as I can't get a green light on my sky plus box, it's permanently red. I cant get through to the call centre, anyone have any idea's???

Thank you 

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

Re: No sky for 2 days, only red light!!!!

[ Edited ]

You could try this:

Turn the box off at the mains and make sure the power light is out. On the front of the box are 4 arrow keys with select in the middle. You need to hold in the left and right arrows then turn the mains on. Keep them held for 60 seconds. You should see the green circle light up. Let go of the arrows and press then release the select button in between. The circle will flash anti-clockwise then settle down to a red light again. Give it 90 seconds once it does then try turning it on.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jackie50

Due to the solution provided my sky box is now back working.

Thanks for the support C.

Pete+H2K

Hi,

Just to make sure you are aware, performing this step will delete all your recordings and planned recordings.

Performing a forced download may resolve the issue and will keep your recordings.

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Occasional Visitor
pepsie

Thanks, worked for me too!!!

Occasional Visitor
MURDOCK123

I have had this problem but do not wish to lose all recordings - what do you mean by a forced download as an alternative solution?

Pete+H2K

Hi.

In the case that your box is not a thomson set top box, the cause could be due to a currupt file on the disk. By performing a reset as described above, all of the files are deleted.

Performing a forced download, replaces all the files (except for the recordings) which may have the same result, a functional box.

For the sake of 10 minutes, personally the steps I would take would be to reboot, then force download. this way you know you have tried everything before formatting the hard drive.

To perform a forced downoad,

1. turn the power off at the mains

2. hold the backup button down on the set top box

3. with the backup button pressed, re-apply the power

4. when all the lights on the set top box come on, and you see a message on the tv to wait  up to 10 minutes, release the backup button

once the download has completed, it will reboot the set top box. wait 3 minutes and turn the box on.

If this has not resolved the issue then there is no other procedure to try excep to perform the reset as described above.

If your box is a thomson box, then it could be that you have a faulty power supply which is a known issue with thomson boxes, in which case, performing a system reset may not work either.

Please let me know how you get on, and your box make.

Cheers

pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Occasional Visitor
ANGAVI

Same problem for the last 2 days, but like some people here  I dont want to loose all recordings. What's the alternative?

Why is this happening by the way . Is it of some sort of software upgrade that went wrong? 

Pete+H2K

Hi,

There could be several reasons why its happening, most depend on the make / model of your box.

As I described above, the safest way to try and resolve this is to perform a forced download.

If the box is a thomson box, then it could be the power supply has failed.

If its an amstrad box, then it could be something to do with the latest software download.

Cheers

Pete 

Occasional Visitor
ANGAVI

Mine is a white Thompson box. It has been playing up in the last 2 days . First saying I could not use sky plus features but it started OK. 

Since yesterday I wouln't start again. Just redlight.

I just tried the backup button option but nothing came on screen. 

Will try again , just in case.. 

Occasional Visitor
ANGAVI

The backup did not work for me unfortunately but the previous solution holding left abd right arrows worked fine but I did lose all the recordings. 

But it works now.. thanks for all the support here Pete and C

Occasional Visitor
south555

I have tried holding the 2 buttons down and turning off the power, etc.. I have tried the back up button.  I have spent 1 hour onto a sky advisor doing the same.  I have removed the card & cleaned the chip. And still I just have the red light.  No other lights & no messages on screen.  Before I pay a shocking £65 for an engineers visit, does anyone have any further ideas please????

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

If the forced software update and reformat routines haven't worked, your PSU is probably knackered, a common occurence on Thomson Sky+ boxes.  The box will have to be replaced.

Occasional Visitor
south555

Thanks for the answer.  I guess I'll have to call the engineer then.

Occasional Visitor
mags69

no sky.

I had been on hols for a week and had turned everything off when i was away except my sky+hd box. i have now tried to turn on my multi-room box and it wont come back on. it only has a red light. it is a pace skydigibox. can anyone help????