on 22-01-2011 08:49 AM
I've been reading, with interest, previous posts about losing channels since December (Sky 1, Sky2, Living etc) as we've also been experiencing these problems.
However, now our box won't turn on at all and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. We have a Thompson Sky+ box and yesterday morning it came up with "no satellite signal is being received, turn off etc etc" so I turned it off and left it for half an hour. Went back, plugged it all in, left it for 10-20 mins, nothing. Unplugged again, left it, plugged it back in, left it a while, still nothing. It's now been plugged in all night, and still won't turn on. It's not even picking up the remote control as the red light is not indicating when we press any button. Tried turning it on from the box itself but still nothing.
Any suggestions?! We can't afford to upgrade to HD and can't really afford a new box either so will probably switch to BT Vision as we're not in a Virgin area. Does it sound to everyone like the box has had it?!
Thanks to any replies.
Solved! Go to Solution.
on 23-01-2011 02:06 PM
I would recommend trying a software update first to get the box back on.
1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.
2. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.
3. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.
4. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.
5. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.
If the above fails then the last thing to try will be a front panel reset.
Warning - This will delete all saved and planned recordings as part of the process.
1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.
2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.
3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.
4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.
5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.
6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.
7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.
If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby, then see if the fault has resolved.
on 08-09-2013 01:01 PM
many thanks for this - I tried the first option and it came up with "updating system software". after it had updated it switched off again so I thought it had failed but it restarted straight away once I pressed the on button - what relief!!!! I was a bit concerned that I have recently changed the box to use the eco save at night so wonder if the box wanted to do updates in the night but couldn't due to the shut down ie not being on the usual standby?
on 21-09-2013 11:52 PM
Hi thanks to those that have posted support so far.... I'v tried both the options, and neither seems to be working. the second reset and wipe the box option i've done before (on previous box), so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right, but it's not working this time. When the system turns back on again, it's showing the red light for 1-2 seconds, then changing to the amber light again and not doing anything else
my box is 9 months old
on 27-10-2013 04:47 PM
Hello monty+elvis and 2sheds.
Thank you for taking the time to come back and let us know the troubleshooting steps have resolve the issue you were having with your Sky box not turning on.
If there is anything else we can assist with please post again on the relevant broad.
on 20-11-2013 01:40 PM
Good Afternoon @Nefertiiti ,
It's great to welcome another new name into our community and thanks for taking the time to make your first post.
Thanks for giving the relevant troubleshooting steps a try and it is great to see that they done the trick and resolved your issue.
If you have any other questions about your Sky services then give us a shout.
on 23-11-2013 08:47 AM
on 23-11-2013 02:24 PM
Thanks for your post and welcome to the Sky Help Forum.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Sky equipment but if you have a look at this guide it will take you through the step by step options of the procedures you can try. If these processes have not worked then I would recommend speaking to the contact centre to look into your account as you may need a Sky engineer to visit as some of your equipment could be faulty or damaged. Also if you are in warranty the visit would be free of charge but if not they can discuss other options with you.
Hope this helps,