Help
Help

White Sky+ Box & Standard Digibox
Occasional Visitor
EmilyW79
Accepted Solution

Help, Sky+ Box won't turn on

Hello everyone

I've been reading, with interest, previous posts about losing channels since December (Sky 1, Sky2, Living etc) as we've also been experiencing these problems.

However, now our box won't turn on at all and wondered if anyone has any suggestions. We have a Thompson Sky+ box and yesterday morning it came up with "no satellite signal is being received, turn off etc etc" so I turned it off and left it for half an hour. Went back, plugged it all in, left it for 10-20 mins, nothing. Unplugged again, left it, plugged it back in, left it a while, still nothing. It's now been plugged in all night, and still won't turn on. It's not even picking up the remote control as the red light is not indicating when we press any button. Tried turning it on from the box itself but still nothing.

Any suggestions?! We can't afford to upgrade to HD and can't really afford a new box either so will probably switch to BT Vision as we're not in a Virgin area. Does it sound to everyone like the box has had it?!

Thanks to any replies.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Re: Help, Sky+ Box won't turn on

Hi EmilyW79,

I would recommend trying a software update first to get the box back on.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.

4. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.

5. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If the above fails then the last thing to try will be a front panel reset.

Warning - This will delete all saved and planned recordings as part of the process.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby, then see if the fault has resolved.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
winger

worked for me thanks.

Occasional Visitor
Rebecca2639

Tried both, first one didn't work but the second one did. Thanks
Occasional Visitor
dtm1979

tried changing fuse in plug?
Occasional Visitor
joni-joan

Thanks so much.... after 2 power cuts the sky box wouldn't respond even after I checked all the cables etc.

It worked on the first option thankfully.

Occasional Visitor
Sibles

many thanks for this - I tried the first option and it came up with "updating system software".  after it had updated it switched off again so I thought it had failed but it restarted straight away once I pressed the on button - what relief!!!!  I was a bit concerned that I have recently changed the box to use the eco save at night so wonder if the box wanted to do updates in the night but couldn't due to the shut down ie not being on the usual standby?

Occasional Visitor
Carl+Ashton

Hi thanks to those that have posted support so far....  I'v tried both the options, and neither seems to be working.  the second reset and wipe the box option i've done before (on  previous box), so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right, but it's not working this time.  When the system turns back on again, it's showing the red light for 1-2 seconds, then changing to the amber light again and not doing anything else :smileysad:

any suggestions?  :smileysad:

my box is 9 months old

thanks

Carl

Occasional Visitor
2sheds

Software update worked on mine. Panic over :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
monty+elvis

Thanks for the advice, it also worked for me!

Community Coordinator
lainys

Hello monty+elvis and 2sheds.

Thank you for taking the time to come back and let us know the troubleshooting steps have resolve the issue you were having with your Sky box not turning on.

If there is anything else we can assist with please post again on the relevant broad.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Nefertiiti

Worked for me and I have a sky hd box.
Thank you!
Community Coordinator
jason-d

Good Afternoon @Nefertiiti ,

It's great to welcome another new name into our community and thanks for taking the time to make your first post.

Thanks for giving the relevant troubleshooting steps a try and it is great to see that they done the trick and resolved your issue.

If you have any other questions about your Sky services then give us a shout.

Cheers,

jason-d
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Nicolala

Hi, help!

Have tried both of the suggestions above and still won't work. Still get the screen showing error 29 "no satellite signal, unplug and wait, etc."

Have waited and tried this a dozen times now.

Anyone any suggestions?

Many thanks

Nicolala
Community Coordinator
Erekala

Hi Nicolala,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Sky Help Forum.:smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Sky equipment but if you have a look at this guide it will take you through the step by step options of the procedures you can try. If these processes have not worked then I would recommend speaking to the contact centre to look into your account as you may need a Sky engineer to visit as some of your equipment could be faulty or damaged. Also if you are in warranty the visit would be free of charge but if not they can discuss other options with you.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Community Coordinator

Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage