Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Super User
Scubbie

Re: static ip address

Sky Broadband is a product designed for the domestic market.

Eclipse Broadband is available for both the Domestic and Business markets.

Fixed IPs are normally something that people who run businesses require.

Anyone who is running a server from home should re-read the T&Cs as this too is forbidden.

DynDNS works very well. I have been using it for several years.

So why should Sky wake up and supply people with fixed IPs?

Saying 'thank you' to someone who has helped you is always appreciated. If someone has helped you on this forum, please click the 'Likes' button under their post to show your appreciation here.

Current Sky Kit: DRX895(4f3155), DRX890(4f31a9), Sky Hub R101 on Sky Fibre Pro
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update - you're right as fixed IPs are normally something that people who run businesses would require, such as myself who use a fixed IP addresses for my business!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Scubbie

It is no update as Sky Broadband has always been a domestic product.

Whilst a lot of people do work from home now, and many have got Sky Broadband, it specifically states in Sky's Terms and Conditions that using it for business is against their T&Cs.

There are some very important differences between domestic and business products. One of the most important is service level guarantees. If you have a proper business line & broadband package that is cut off for a few hours, you can claim compensation for loss of work. With Sky you cannot do this.

Saying 'thank you' to someone who has helped you is always appreciated. If someone has helped you on this forum, please click the 'Likes' button under their post to show your appreciation here.

Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for this info, as I was considering whether or not to join Sky over the next few months while using a home based web-business! I now know this will not be a possibility during the near future!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you feel I have been helpful, please click the pink thumbs-up (bottom right) of this post to give me a kudos, as I'll be very grateful
Super User
Scubbie

They may well change things for their Fibre products, but it is unlikely.

I found Eclipse to be a good ISP in the past. The only problem I had was with BT India. Since I had to have the telephone line rental with BT, I decided to move away after the insults I was given by BT India and thus never recommend BT to anyone now.

Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

Thanks so much!

Getting There
spaceghost

thats a load of rubbish just because you have a static IP does not mean your running a business.

I would need a static IP to connect to a web cam I have that watches the outside of my house and to connect to my nas server for various reasons for personal use.

Sky should really offer this service.

Mentor
Xen-Pu+Ovid-Sophron-Naso

[ Edited ]

Statistics show that for every nine times out of twelve static IP's would be used for business reasons while the other three out of twelve static IP's would be used for online / global multiplayer gaming playing some sort of a death match against your rival for big bucks ($) that's possibly located somewhere in say America, China, European Union, India, or Russia!

It would be quite rarity that one would require & use fixed IP addresses for domestic/private use - for say a security system setup with a nas server on fixed IP & a web cam that’s connected up to possibly watch your home for both security & personal reasons.

It would have been wiser to have firstly studied the complete thread before making those wild statements as you could have requested for my business details within a personal message which would have provided for you - so I've sent you a private message with a link to my web-bsed business!

As I do run a web based business from home - Sky cannot offer any business based packages with or without business web hosting services! Also Sky don't allow any business site info / business links to be provided anywhere within the Sky Center Help Forums.

My original post message 15 on page 1 in this thread (an updated version is pasted just below) was that I found that static addresses are quite useful, & I got a complaint as detailed in message 16 on page 2 in this thread from someone else that Sky mainly caters for the domestic market, so you can't please all the people all the time! What's good for one person may not be good for anther! My own static IP addresses  were purposely created for both my business & personal usage!

As Sky don't offer any fixed IP addresses at all, nor can Sky Broadband Connect guarantee any rock-solid down-stream speeds of between 5MB/Sec through to 8MB/Sec - so I migrated away from Sky Broadband Connect over a year ago during August/September of 2010 where I now enjoy two static IP addresses & web hosting for my business upon my residential line with Eclipse Internet my current ISP where one IP address is used for my business & the other is for as & when I require it for usage!

Sky should wake-up & offer fixed IP addresses as I use it & because I find it very useful!

I do agree with you that Sky should offer a static IP address facility as I do get this from Eclipse Internet & it works perfectly!

I'm New Here
Parallex33

Absolutely right!  This is not the 80s, its 2012.  Cloud based access is the norm.  I need a fixed IP address to limit the amount of content I carry on my SSD, have access to my Mac from my iPad, and access movies etc when away from home.

Getting There
judge+deed

Hi All

Have had the same ip address for the last 3 weeks , even when l turn off the router it always  ( so Far ) gets the same ip address , one other thing l have noticed .. Connection type is " MER " perhaps this makes a difference ?

Sky Sagem Fast 2504 Router

merdalf

Super User
Scubbie

judge+deed wrote:

Hi All

Have had the same ip address for the last 3 weeks , even when l turn off the router it always  ( so Far ) gets the same ip address , one other thing l have noticed .. Connection type is " MER " perhaps this makes a difference ?

Sky Sagem Fast 2504 Router

merdalf

IP Addresses with Sky are 'sticky'. In effect this means that often when you reset a router, you will often retain the same IP Address when it reconnects. If you have Sky Fibre, then actually you need to power cycle the Modem in order to get a new IP Address.

This goes for both PPPoA and MER connections on an ADSL connection, however PPPoA is more likely to change than MER.

Also I have seen recent evidence that Sky appears to be moving away from MER and back to PPPoA for ADSL connections.

Super User
Damien-SW

amount of people that would benefit is small would not be worth the effort. Also I use dyn dns serverice to get round lack of no static IP>

That said IP addies are very very sticky, only way I found to get the IP address to change is to connect a differnt router and hence differnt MAC. But even when I do that it seem to reuse prevous IP that you had.
in over 6 months I had a total of 5 IP.
----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Getting There
DrefsabUK

Im of the camp that says static IP address's are not just for business's im a techy user I like having static IP's. I like having services like VNC/RPD open to me (and I dont see it as an abuse of t&c's as its for my own personal useage not public). I actually work for an ISP who only gives static IP's we dont do dynamic in any way and its actually more work to provide a dynamic IP than a statically assigned block.

Id still be happy to pay an additional fee for a block, however I also understand that sky may be running rather low on IPv4 address's right now. v4 space has been exhausted with IANA and its predicted that RIPE (ISP's get their netblock assignments from) will run out of v4 address's in 1day and 13 hours at last count. So sky may well be holding on to what v4 address's they have any trying to make as effiencet use of them as possible until they are ready for v6.

I'm New Here
Lumbo

I have a personal Wiki hosted on a PC at home that I use to collate my study material which I access from work, home and elsewhere. I use DynDns but I cannot access it from my new work place because it does not have a fixed IP address and is blocked by their internet policy. I will have to move from Sky who I have been with for more than 5 years for this reason.

Plusnet offers fixed IP address and they are cheaper and so I will join them.

Super User
Scubbie

Lumbo wrote:

...Plusnet offers fixed IP address and they are cheaper and so I will join them.

Take care and have fun.

We all have different reasons for choosing a specific ISP. Sky has never offered fixed IP Addresses. If you place of work is blocking you from accessing your home network, then perhaps you need to ask yourself why, not "How can I circumvent their security policy".

Most places of work have an IT policy designed to ensure that their systems are secure.