Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Contributor
izzerie
Accepted Solution

Low Upload speed with room for improvement.

This is a message which I sent to sky support via email:

"The speeds I am getting on my connection don't match the potential of the line.

Stats from router:

Statistic|Download|Upload

SNR margin|8.6db|20.8db

Attenuation|26.5db|17.1db

Data Rate|15693kbps|466kbps

As you can see, the SNR margin is particularly high on the Upload so I would like to request that both upload and download are set back to a target SNR margin of 7db. The stats shown above stay constant, they have been as they are now for 72hours of monitoring with little variation. The line attenuation is high enough to indicate that the maximum data rates should be possible. I would also like to request that the Interleave is set to 8ms (I know you don't advertise Fastpath as a service but if it's possible to set it to 0ms then this would be appreciated). I am well aware that setting the line to a 7db target may induce errors on the line. I am more than willing to monitor this and request changes as necessary. To clarify, I do not want to be set on DLM again. This has regularly proven itself to be useless and to set the sync rates far below the potential of the line. Regards"

The response I received:

"Thank you for your email about Slow connection with Sky Broadband.

I have reviewed your account and find that you are getting the speed that is best suited for your Line and that we would not be able to change what you have requested as this may cause you line to become unstable. I can see that the noise and the speed that you are getting are within your speed that we stated that we would give you. So I am sorry but we will not be changing anything on your Broadband speed.

I hope this information is of use to you and if you have any further enquires about this please contact Sky on 08432 16 17 18 or reply back to this email.

Kind Regards"

Now, to be fair, there is only a little space for improvement on the download speed and I'm OK with that. 

However, the upload speed has significant room for improvement. The SNR Marigin is high at 20db and the attenuation is high enough to indicate a good line and that it can be improved.

The exchange is less than 650metres away and, once upon a time when I first joined sky, I had a steady 20Mb Down and 1.3Mb Up. This lasted for about 6months beofre someone, unbeknownst to me, decied that DLM needed to run again and I haven't seen that speed since.

So, I'm asking here, can you please do something about this? It should be better than it is. Yes, I've checked all the cabling in the house and there is no noise on the line. All devices are correctly filtered and my Modem is on the Master socket. The Modem has been restarted at peak and off peak and the sync rate never changes, the SNR margin doesn't change either (nothing significant anyway, less that .5 fluctuation).

I would also like to point out that the setimated speed for my line was as follows:

Download speed setting 
Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 4.1Mbps . 

Upload speed setting 
Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 0.5Mbps .

Considering what the estimated download was ( along with the speeds I have previously had), I consider this estimation to be worthless.

Regards

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
izzerie

Re: Low Upload speed with room for improvement.

Nothing at all from any of the Sky representatives?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
chelsea12

HI izzerie,

Sorry to see you are still having an issue with your speed.

Can you post us your stats from the test socket and with a new microfilter , this will allow us to see if we can hep in anyway?

To get the full router statistics go to http://192.168.0.1 then log in with admin and sky and click on show statistics.

Thanks,

Jane
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Contributor
izzerie

Thank you for the repsonse. I'm literally about to go out for a weekend away but will get on to this as soon as I'm back. I actually have a VDSL Faceplate fitted on the Master socket from Open Reach so do not use seperate Microfilters, I'll get the stats from the Test Socket again though.

Community Coordinator
chelsea12

Hi izzerie,

Great , have a great weekend .

Thanks,

Jane
Community Coordinator

Contributor
izzerie

So, I connect the Router to the test socket last night and left it to settle down and sort its life out. I changed the Microfilter when I got in 3 hours ago just to be sure I hadn't dug out a dodgy one and nothing changed (I have a VDSL faceplate filter so don't normally need microfilters).

Downstream   Upstream

15693 kbps466 kbps
25.8 dB17.1 dB
7.8 dB22.2 dB

As you can see, the connection is pretty much identical in the test socket. The Upload SNR margin is still ~20db and a bit more could probably be squeezed out of the download. I know that the DLM system has changed since it was last run so wouldn't be completely adverse to having DLM Training run on my line again. However, the Line Attenuation indicates that I should be able to run at the maximum sync rates on both download and upload if set correctly.

Community Coordinator
Chris-McP

Hi izzerie,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you confirm that you have tried everything in these troubleshooting guides as they can help with download and upload speeds?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris-McP
Community Coordinator

Contributor
izzerie

Yes, I've tried everything in those troubleshooting guides with no difference.

Community Coordinator
Chris-McP

Hi izzerie,

Thank you for getting back in touch with me. I’ll have one of our team look into this further and will arrange for a Private Message to be sent before midday tomorrow for more details.

Chris-McP
Community Coordinator

Contributor
izzerie

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a PM.

Retired Staff Member
chaz1985

Hi izzerie,

I've sent you a PM for some details. If you can reply to this, we'll investigate the issue and look into whether we can adjust this for you.

Thanks

chaz1985
Community Coordinator

Contributor
izzerie

I've read the PM and have replied with the requested details.

Contributor
izzerie

So, after a few quick PM's, this is the result of after the first adjustment. Of course, this needs to be monitored for stability but I'm dead chuffed with this! My Upload has doubled and the ping has halved!

A genuine thank you to the guys here on the forum, much more satisfying than dealing with the call centre has been in the past. Even if it's slower way of communicating :smileyhappy:

SpeedTestResult

Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi izzerie,

Thanks for your post.

I'm glad to see that things have picked up and thanks for the feedback.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Cheers

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator

Contributor
izzerie

Line has been stable since changes were made. Very happy with the resolution (it's also nice to know that I wasn't going insane when I thought that it wasn't right!)