Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Contributor
smokesmate
Accepted Solution

How do i get sky to increase my broadband speed

[ Edited ]

How do i get sky to increase my broadband speed coz if it stays like this i'm going back to virgin media.i was told i should get 4mb when i joined sky now i'm lucky if i get 1.7mb.the speed was quicker when they were testing the line although it does say that there testing the line from the 5/8/2011 and this hasn't changed so i don't really know what speed i'm on now.

All i do know is that if i can't get my BB speed a little bit better so i can watch things without it constantly buffering and my downloads dropping i shall definately be going back to virgin media when my contract finishes with sky,i'll also change my phone and tv package back to virgin and it will be goodbye to sky for good.

sorry for the rant but at this moment i've had it with sky.

these are my router stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
2048 kbps605 kbps
67.0 dB43.6 dB
6.2 dB9.0 dB
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"></script>
Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: How do i get sky to increase my broadband speed

Hi smokesmate,

Sorry to see that you are not happy with your broadband speeds.  So we can try and improve these speeds, could you get back to us with the following information:

1.  Are you connected in the master or extension socket?

2.  Do you know if you have a test socket?

3.  Are you using any extension cables within your home setup?

Many Thanks,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
smokesmate

thanks for the reply garryc.

I am connected in the master socket,i have also tried the test socket and the bb speed stays the same.

i am not using any extensions with my cable setup its just as the sky engineer set it up when he installed my broadband,the modem is about 1.5 meters from the phone socket and microfilter.

whilst sky was line testing i got some ok pretty quick speeds nearer the 4mb i was originally told i'd get but since line testing stopped my bb speed as gradually gotten worse so i was wondering if sky could turn my bb speed up a bit.

regards

smokesmate

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi smokesmate,

From the answers you have given me, it would be best if you could contact us where one of our Technical advisors could access your account and have a look at manually profiling your line to obtain the best speed you can get.

Many Thanks,

Contributor
smokesmate

thanks garryc i've just rung sky and the guy told me hopefully i should see a speed increase within the next 48 hours.

once again thanks for your help.

regards

smokesmate.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi smokesmate,

You are welcome, and I am glad to see you have got this resolved :smileytongue:

Many Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
batsrus1959

Hi GarryC,

I spoke to one of your Technical advisors this morning about the speed of my Sky broadband, which I have done at least 6 times in the last month.

I asked about manually profiling my line and was told there is no such thing. The line speeds are all automated through the Sky system and the speed you get is the speed you get. 

Sevaral years ago when I beacme a Sky customer I used to get speeds of around 4.9 . About two years ago it dropped to 4. At present it is 3 sometimes going down to 2.2 . It is very frustrating and I am seriously looking for another service provider.

Super User
Mark39

Hi batsrus1959,

Can you tell us more?

Which broadband package do you have?

Are you connecting wirelessly or by ethernet cable?

Is your router plugged into the master socket?

Can you post the statistics from your router, and the results of a download speed check via www.speedtest.net?

Occasional Visitor
batsrus1959

Hi Mark39,

I have the unlimited broadband package.

I am connected via ethernet cable.

I am plugged into the master socket in the living room.

The router statistics are: DownStream Connection Speed  3072kbps

UpStream Connection Speed  792kbps

Speedtest.net statistics are: Download speed 2.66Mbps

Upload speed 0.68Mbps

Super User
Mark39

Thanks for that. Your throughput looks very good in relation to the sync speed of 3 Mbps. It's the sync speed itself that might be the problem.

Can you also post the line attenuation and noise margin figures from your router stats? That will enable us to see what your line is capable of achieving.

Occasional Visitor
batsrus1959

Hi,

Line attenuation: downstream 51.5db    upstream 29.8db

Noise margin    : downstream 6.9db      upstream 8.5db

Super User
Mark39

Hi batsrus1959,

With a line attenuation of 51 dB, the best sync speed you can expect would be between 4 and 4.7 Mbps, which is a bit better than the 3 Mbps you're currently seeing. Your noise margin setting is within Sky's normal range of 6-7 dB.

The one thing left you can try is to connect your router to the Test socket, which is behind the faceplace of the Master socket, per the image in this post. Doing this will disconnect any internal wiring and establish whether or not it's having any effect on your speed.

Occasional Visitor
batsrus1959

Hi Mark39,

The master socket and the socket in the bedroom do not have Test sockets, so unfortunatlely I am stuck with the present socket. If I could obtain speeds of between 4 and 4.7 I would be very happy, but every time I contact Sky technical department I am told the speed I have is all I can get from Sky that is why I have been speaking to other service providers.

Thanks

Super User
Mark39

That's a shame - it could very well be that your internal wiring is costing you the bandwidth, in which case Sky could well be right.

Occasional Visitor
batsrus1959

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark39,

Found a blank distribution box inside the front door. Opened it and found that the line comes into the flat here and then splits to the bedroom and lounge via individual cables. Disconnected the bedroom completely. Checked the statistics on the router. Diconnected the lounge and connected the bedroom and moved router to bedroom and checked statistics again. All stats same as before. It made no difference either way. Helppppppppppppp