Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Unlimited, Lite & Connect broadband
From Unlimited to Lite our Sky Broadband packages are tailored to your family's needs. For advice in improving your speed, protecting your family online or connecting your device.
Occasional Visitor
carolandgareth

Chromecast won't connect through router?

Hi
I just received my new Chromecast today and excitedly plugged it in, however during the setup it came up with an error and the following message. I called customer services for help and they were less than unhelpful.

Has anyone had the same problem and what did you do? It's the brand new router I have as just upgraded it. Thanks very much Carol

Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router

Your Wi-Fi network configuration prevents devices from communicating with Chromecast. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to disable AP (access point) isolation, also known as client isolation, on your router. Please refer to your router documentation to learn how to disable AP isolation.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
speedyrite

Re: Chromecast won't connect through router?

[ Edited ]

Login to the router, go to the Wireless/Wireless Settings page and make sure that Wireless isolation (under Wireless Access Point) is unticked.

If you have to untick it, make sure you click on the button labelled "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

But if it's already unticked when you get there, then something else must be causing the problem that is preventing the Chromecast from connecting to your wireless network.

PS. From https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3210071?hl=en-GB

"If you are attempting to connect through a Wi-Fi extender, please check your extender settings. You will need to disable AP isolation on your Wi-Fi extender before setting up Chromecast to work with your Wi-Fi network."

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
carolandgareth

Thanks
After a bit more digging I worked out how to log on to my router and it is unticked so back to the drawing board I think.
Occasional Visitor
iankbrum

I was about to buy a Chromecast until I saw your post. Have Sky fixed your problem as there's little point in me having one unless I can get the Chromecast to work through Sky?
Occasional Visitor
carolandgareth

Hi, It is working now, not sure how I fixed it, just ran through the setup again. It's fab I'd definitely recommend it, just watching blue planet at mo and picture quality is really good!
Community Coordinator
Natasha-B

Hello carolandgareth,

Thanks for getting in touch.

That's brilliant to see you have managed to get Chromecast working. If you experience any further problems please get back to us.

Thanks,

Natasha-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
MIcfin

hi i just cannot get my chromecast working, it finds the chromcast but as soon as it does the router crashes and no internet

i need help got a sagecom

System DetailsManufacturerModel NumberFirmware VersionADSL Firmware Version

Sagemcom
F@ST2304
7.16a4N
A2pD038m.d24h

Frequent Contributor
HGill71

Just got mine today had the same issues setting it up.

I installed the PC app to set it up via chromecast.com/setup & ran through that.

On the router the Wireless Isolation was already unticked but I then disabled WPS as well and it seem to fix it, I did enable WPS a while ago & changed some settings related to it so just undid them and now my Chromecast works.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sky Router: Sagem F@ST2504n, FW Ver. 7.16a4N_UNI

Sky Box: Amstrad DRX890
Occasional Visitor
Hamilton82

Hi, i am having the same issues. How do you log to the router? I am trying to set this up via my iPad.

thanks

H

Frequent Visitor
mikeeboy72

Reading this helped me out last night. Wireless isolation was already off but turning off WPS sorted me out.

Cheers
Occasional Visitor
Pebblesx

Hi

I'm still unable to connect my Chromecast to my new Sky hub

Can anyone assist please as I've rang SKY and they don't know about this 3rd party product.

Isolation is unticked and WPS is ticked.

Thanks

Jessy 

Frequent Visitor
mikeeboy72

Pebblesx wrote:

Hi

I'm still unable to connect my Chromecast to my new Sky hub

Can anyone assist please as I've rang SKY and they don't know about this 3rd party product.

Isolation is unticked and WPS is ticked.

Thanks

Jessy 

My post above has already said that I needed to turn off WPS for it to work??

Occasional Visitor
Pebblesx

Yep was already turned off however I went into WPS and somehow it works now.

Thanks for the updates all.

Occasional Visitor
Sammie72

I just want t make it clear as none of the other posts do.... that unticking WPS will mean that your router/hyb no longer emmits a wireless signal. You will have to connect to it via an ethernet to get this back.

It's very frustrating not tobe able to cnnnect to it, but i'd rather wifi than being able to watch my phone on my TV....!

Super User
Mark39

Sammie72 wrote:

unticking WPS will mean that your router/hyb no longer emmits a wireless signal. You will have to connect to it via an ethernet to get this back.

I don't believe that's the case. Unticking WPS only disables the Wifi Protected Setup function. Unticking the Wireless Access Point setting prevents the router from broadcasting a wireless signal.